What's new

India down to 4 old minesweepers as Chinese Subs step up forays into Indian Ocean

Since India is building an AC by itself, it should already be able to build a minesweeper by itself. Otherwise, first learn how to build small ships. Couldn't Indian even study its existing minesweepers and improving upon them? Or India lack ability to study and learn?

Oh how sad!! I never knew I was stepping on your pain point this whole time. Now that you say, when India can build an AC why not a simple Minesweeper, it wasn't felt necessary to spend time on R&D when a 100% TOT is available in the market. We would have released EOI for buying Minesweepers off the shelf or settled for a lesser TOT had we been desperate or had zero capability. Instead India chose to request for nothing less than a 100% TOT . Had there been no answers to our request, the Naval Design Beuro would have come up with an indigenous design as always.

And the good news for all of us (neighbors of India), we and our foes since we are all nuclear capable, if we go down we take you with us and it's vice versa. So we can very well have an excuse, right my friend. :)

Falling back on the nuclear option? Isn't that what Pakistan does with regard to India? :P

The problem here is that India does not possess thermonuclear weapons, their largest tested warhead was a 20kt fission bomb.

India's entire arsenal is estimated to be 1 megaton in total. Whereas one single Chinese thermonuclear warhead is 4 megatons, one single Chinese warhead has more explosive power than India's entire arsenal combined (by four times).

So no, even in the nuclear domain India is still lagging woefully behind. 20kt fission bombs are not enough for mutually assured destruction. It can cause pain but it cannot ensure MAD, which is why all the P5 members have thermonuclear weapons.

It takes decades for an industry to mature and takes even longer to have experienced workers and technicians capable taking on those tasks. It's not like you can just do it the very next day after you decide to make it happen

Oh how sad!! I never knew I was stepping on your pain point this whole time. Now that you say, when India can build an AC why not a simple Minesweeper, it wasn't felt necessary to spend time on R&D when a 100% TOT is available in the market. We would have released EOI for buying Minesweepers off the shelf or settled for a lesser TOT had we been desperate or had zero capability. Instead India chose to request for nothing less than a 100% TOT . Had there been no answers to our request, the Naval Design Beuro would have come up with an indigenous design as always.

So you are saying that India would not invest in time to build mine sweepers as it can get 100% TOT? And India has signed the contract as its not satisfy with TOT given. So I guess India is looking for a 200% TOT, correct. Indians like you are masters of twisting facts and distortion. But weak at getting things done. Not just building something, but at buying things as well. But Indians like you are experts ar excuses.

So you are saying that India would not invest in time to build mine sweepers as it can get 100% TOT? And India has signed the contract as its not satisfy with TOT given. So I guess India is looking for a 200% TOT, correct. Indians like you are masters of twisting facts and distortion. But weak at getting things done. Not just building something, but at buying things as well. But Indians like you are experts ar excuses.

Well We invested on time or dint is not the matter here, the fact of the day is that we are getting something 100% for money which otherwise would have been spent on inhouse R&D plus the time involved. By getting the TOT the time and effort has/can/will be diverted to a different project. This aint twisting of any facts, its pure common sense.

Well We invested on time or dint is not the matter here, the fact of the day is that we are getting something 100% for money which otherwise would have been spent on inhouse R&D plus the time involved. By getting the TOT the time and effort has/can/will be diverted to a different project. This aint twisting of any facts, its pure common sense.

It would be a great idea if India can get it done proficiently. But if it take more time for TOT vs build from scratch, than its a horrible idea.

It would be a great idea if India can get it done proficiently. But if it take more time for TOT vs build from scratch, than its a horrible idea.

Leave it to us. At ease cadet!!

The situation in India is the result of decades of working at ease :agree:

Yeah we have the the fastest growing major economy by working at ease. Slow and Steady !! You dont have to break your head over it..

Falling back on the nuclear option? Isn't that what Pakistan does with regard to India? :P

The problem here is that India does not possess thermonuclear weapons, their largest tested warhead was a 20kt fission bomb.

India's entire arsenal is estimated to be 1 megaton in total. Whereas one single Chinese thermonuclear warhead is 4 megatons, one single Chinese warhead has more explosive power than India's entire arsenal combined (by four times).

So no, even in the nuclear domain India is still lagging woefully behind. 20kt fission bombs are not enough for mutually assured destruction. It can cause pain but it cannot ensure MAD, which is why all the P5 members have thermonuclear weapons.
No-one is falling back on nuclear front...Unlike your all weather friends we do have no first use policy..right?? Now being a think tank...you should know that US has atleast 6-8 times more nukes than you guys and i am not going into yield at all....however larger questions is does that make a difference?? A puny NK is holding SK from balls on mere artillery power and here we are talking about a well respected military power of the world...so what is the point i am making...I don't want to loose a Delhi or Mumbai for entire Pakistan...simple...

Having said that just because we have been slow in taking decisions on MMRCA that doesn't mean we will be slow for rest of our lives...things are changing and will further improve.

Back
Top Bottom