What's new

India Could Use Pakistan’s Infrastructure

r

Alistair Scrutton first joined Reuters in 1998 as correspondent in Peru. Then he moved to Buenos Aires as senior correspondent for southern Latin America, covering coups in Bolivia, rebel violence in Peru and Argentina's 2001-2002 economic explosion which sparked the world's biggest sovereign debt default. Next, as Editor in Charge for Political And General News in Latin America he spearheaded coverage across the region. In 2007, he moved to India as chief correspondent, where he has focused on India's economic and political story as well as traveling to Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nepal. In the following story, Scrutton writes about his experiences driving down a Pakistani motorway, which is like a six-lane highway to paradise in a country that usually makes headlines for suicide bombers, army offensives and political mayhem.

By Alistair Scrutton

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - If you want a slice of peace and stability in a country with a reputation for violence and chaos, try Pakistan's M2 motorway.

At times foreign reporters need to a give a nation a rest from their instinctive cynicism. I feel like that with Pakistan each time I whizz along the M2 between Islamabad and Lahore, the only motorway I know that inspires me to write.

Now, if the M2 conjures images of bland, spotless tarmac interspersed with gas stations and fast food outlets, you would be right. But this is South Asia, land of potholes, reckless driving and the occasional invasion of livestock.

And this is Pakistan, for many a "failed state." Here, blandness can inspire almost heady optimism.

Built in the 1990s at a cost of around $1 billion, the 228-mile (367-km) motorway -- which continues to Peshawar as the M1 -- is like a six-lane highway to paradise in a country that usually makes headlines for suicide bombers, army offensives and political mayhem.

Indeed, for sheer spotlessness, efficiency and emptiness there is nothing like the M2 in the rest of South Asia.

It puts paid to what's on offer in Pakistan's traditional foe and emerging economic giant India, where village culture stubbornly refuses to cede to even the most modern motorways, making them battlegrounds of rickshaws, lorries and cows.

There are many things in Pakistan that don't get into the news. Daily life, for one. Pakistani hospitality to strangers, foreigners like myself included, is another. The M2 is another sign that all is not what it appears in Pakistan, that much lies hidden behind the bad news.

On a recent M2 trip, my driver whizzed along but kept his speedometer firmly placed on the speed limit. Here in this South Asian Alice's Wonderland, the special highway police are considered incorruptible. The motorway is so empty one wonders if it really cuts through one of the region's most populated regions.

"130, OK, but 131 is a fine," said the driver, Noshad Khan. "The police have cameras," he added, almost proudly. His hand waved around in the car, clenched in the form of a gun.

On one of my first trips to Pakistan. I arrived at the border having just negotiated a one-lane country road in India with cows, rickshaws and donkey-driven carts.

I toted my luggage over to the Pakistan side, and within a short time my Pakistani taxi purred along the tarmac. The driver proudly showed off his English and played U.S. rock on FM radio. The announcer even had an American accent. Pakistan, for a moment, receded, and my M2 trip began.

Built in the 1990s by then prime minister Nawaz Sharif, it was part of his dream of a motorway that would unite Pakistan with Afghanistan and central Asia.

For supporters it shows the potential of Pakistan. Its detractors say it was a waste of money, a white elephant that was a grandiose plaything for Sharif.

But while his dreams for the motorway foundered along with many of Pakistan, somehow the Islamabad-Lahore stretch has survived assassinations, coups and bombs.

A relatively expensive toll means it is a motorway for the privileged. Poorer Pakistanis use the older trunk road nearby tracing an ancient route that once ran thousands of miles to eastern India. The road is shorter, busier and takes nearly an hour longer.

On my latest trip, I passed the lonely occasional worker in an orange suit sweeping the edge of the motorway in a seemingly Sisyphean task.

A fence keeps out the donkeys and horse-driven carts. Service centres are almost indistinguishable from any service station in the West, aside perhaps from the spotless mosques.

The real Pakistan can be seen from the car window, but in the distance. Colorful painted lorries still ply those roads. Dirt poor villagers toil in brick factories, farmers on donkey carts go about their business.

Of course, four hours of mundane travel is quite enough. Arriving in Lahore, the road suddenly turns into South Asia once again. Dust seeps through the open car window, endless honks sound, beggars knock on car windows. The driver begins again his daily, dangerous battle for road supremacy.

As Pakistan unveils itself in all its vibrancy, it is exciting to be back. But you can't help feel a tinge of regret at having experienced, briefly, a lost dream.

"Motorway good - but Pakistan," Noshad said at the last petrol station before we entered Lahore. "Terrorism, Rawalpindi," he added, referring to the latest militant attack on a mosque in the garrison town which killed dozens.

835355893_87f5064958_b.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

2130831917_19f0c7fe02_b.jpg

:pakistan:

Yes firstly for a country that appears in popular media as a failed/going to fail state they have beautiful roads. So are their roads better than ours? Yes, if you looked at India a decade ago...are they still better now? No!!! We have more good roads in Kms then them. The rate at which India is building its infrastructure is also higher because of stronger economy..

So to conclude, even for an average Indian who reads so much about Pakistan, their roads come as a pleasant surprise because one, we never heard about them second, we don't expect them to have it...bottom line..we have raced ahead but there is no harm in giving credit where it is deserved.

Yes firstly for a country that appears in popular media as a failed/going to fail state they have beautiful roads. So are their roads better than ours? Yes, if you looked at India a decade ago...are they still better now? No!!! We have more good roads in Kms then them. The rate at which India is building its infrastructure is also higher because of stronger economy..

So to conclude, even for an average Indian who reads so much about Pakistan, their roads come as a pleasant surprise because one, we never heard about them second, we don't expect them to have it...bottom line..we have raced ahead but there is no harm in giving credit where it is deserved.

Wow I was surprised when you guys had roads too...i mean I thought you all lived in slums cause thats our perception of india. See I can troll also, there was no need to bring in the whole failed state thing. I can't believe how much indians love to put Pakistan down, shows your character.

How can you claim that you have better roads in kms? You have been to both countries or are you just assuming that India has better roads based on your intuition (and I believe this is probably the case). I am not just talking about motorways, Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, and other smaller cities have pretty nice roads too.

This seems to be the case across the board. Indians assuming that they're ahead based on no evidence but intuition and what their media tells them.

Wow I was surprised when you guys had roads too...i mean I thought you all lived in slums cause thats our perception of india. See I can troll also, there was no need to bring in the whole failed state thing. I can't believe how much indians love to put Pakistan down, shows your character.

I was indeed giving out a compliment :hitwall: ..dont read between lines..often its just ur head speaking..there is nothing there

I was indeed giving out a compliment :hitwall: ..dont read between lines..often its just ur head speaking..there is nothing there

You were insulting Pakistan indirectly too. Yeah just like you assuming that india has better infrastructure just because you want too. You've never even been to Pakistan yet you're passing judgments of it with out knowing anything.

How can you claim that you have better roads in kms? You have been to both countries or are you just assuming that India has better roads based on your intuition (and I believe this is probably the case). I am not just talking about motorways, Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, and other smaller cities have pretty nice roads too.

This seems to be the case across the board. Indians assuming that they're ahead based on no evidence but intuition and what their media tells them.

please do research the golden quad in terms of kms...after you have done that..come back i'll give you a list of other inter and intra state roadways..that were newly built...

As far as the roads in cities are concerned I cannot agree or disagree with you cause im sure both countries have "some" good roads and a lot of bad roads

You were insulting Pakistan indirectly too. Yeah just like you assuming that india has better infrastructure just because you want too. You've never even been to Pakistan yet you're passing judgments of it with out knowing anything.
dude..India is a huge country!!! I don't have to assume..we spent 3 billion to make an air port terminal..do you have an idea on how much we spend on other infrastructure projects..?? You haven't seen India either...

dude..India is a huge country!!! I don't have to assume..we spent 3 billion to make an air port terminal..do you have an idea on how much we spend on other infrastructure projects..?? You haven't seen India either...

I never said infrastructure in india is bad! Cause I haven't seen it to judge...but you're claiming that india has better infrastructure then Pakistan without any proof or having seen Pakistan. Thats my point.

please do research the golden quad in terms of kms...after you have done that..come back i'll give you a list of other inter and intra state roadways..that were newly built...

As far as the roads in cities are concerned I cannot agree or disagree with you cause im sure both countries have "some" good roads and a lot of bad roads

Seen some pictures, they look like good quality city streets at best. They got nothing on M2/M1, etc.

I never said infrastructure in india is bad! Cause I haven't seen it to judge...but you're claiming that india has better infrastructure then Pakistan without any proof or having seen Pakistan. Thats my point.

really I do not want to debate on this...but if you are interested please do read.. there are 2 Indian airports that rank among the best in the world.. Delhi already has an awesome subway..Bangalore one will open by the end of this year..more subways in other cites as well..

We probably have fewer power cuts, fewer water problems, etc.. lets wait for the day when we can travel easily to each other country and hopefully decide then..Have a good day till then CIAO!!

really I do not want to debate on this...but if you are interested please do read.. there are 2 Indian airports that rank among the best in the world.. Delhi already has an awesome subway..Bangalore one will open by the end of this year..more subways in other cites as well..

We probably have fewer power cuts, fewer water problems, etc.. lets wait for the day when we can travel easily to each other country and hopefully decide then..Have a good day till then CIAO!!

Congrats, but having 2 good Airport's doesn't mean that the whole countries infrastructure is good. There's some things india has better and some things Pakistan has better. Our cities are less dirty, crowded, congested as compared to india ( based on what people have told me) Islamabad is one the best planned cities in South Asia. As for subways, they're building them in Karachi/Lahore so eventually we'll have them. Power cuts and water have nothing to do with infrastructure. Anyways believe what you want.

It is clear now what your intentions are and clearly i wasted by time by replying to you so consider this as last while i am not interested in your delhi IGI airport because we are not here to measure whos got a bigger dick, but rest assured Allama Iqbal international and Jinnah international are not your every day airports belonging to a third world country.

I didn't reply on pdf usually, but would reply here.

Indira Gandhi International Airport along with Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, handles more than half of the air traffic in South Asia. The airport is connected to Delhi by the Delhi Airport Metro Express train line and the 8-lane Delhi Gurgaon Expressway. Low floor buses regularly run between the airport and the city.

And from when Pakistan became first world country ? I thought we both are third world country

Congrats, but having 2 good Airport's doesn't mean that the whole countries infrastructure is good. There's some things india has better and some things Pakistan has better. Our cities are less dirty, crowded, congested as compared to india ( based on what people have told me) Islamabad is one the best planned cities in South Asia. As for subways, they're building them in Karachi/Lahore so eventually we'll have them. Power cuts and water have nothing to do with infrastructure. Anyways believe what you want.

Agree. Islamabad is off course well planned city and might be one of the beautiful city too (being a valley). And on India side, you must see Chandigarh which is also planned city (off course not industrialized).

Back
Top Bottom