What's new

India concerned over Pak dam project

I dont think the reservoir will flood Kashmir or Jammu. All they mean is that it will flood J&K thats it. Which simply means that large parts of Northern Areas are going to be flooded. Northern Areas come under J&K remember?

The guy in the Ecnec report makes me laugh. So none raised his voice against the dam even as his house and village is getting under water?
Who is he kidding? More over he calls that sacrifice to sanctify it.:lol:

The dam may not be in violation of Indus water treaty just like Indian dams on the southern tributaries are not(well going by WB's words). That is a non-issue here. The concerns raised by Indian administration are about flooding of J&K for a mostly Pakistani cause.

China has its own reasons to jump into a project like this. Remember Arunachal Pradesh embarassement?

This is what I understand from the situtation. Somebody correct me.

Regards,
Ruby.

Agno, Sky, s90 thats what i was asking how can a dam in Pakistan flood Indian Held Kashmir ?

This is a good project we must start it with or without any foreign funding.

As i said we can not bank on WB because it has already refused to fund it on different pretexts.

Protesting dams seems to be the norm these days between India and Pakistan. I suppose it's a birth right to protest for little reason.

If bad becomes worse then India knows that it can shut off the tap to all natural water resources flowing from Indian side of Himalayas.

Protesting dams seems to be the norm these days between India and Pakistan. I suppose it's a birth right to protest for little reason.

If bad becomes worse then India knows that it can shut off the tap to all natural water resources flowing from Indian side of Himalayas.

And how will India shut off the tap from one of the largest rivers in the world?

Ah well it's still can't reconcile itself with Independent Pakistan.

Noone can shut off a river .. Remember the flooding you guys have been talking about??

Nihat if Pakistan protests then there is some logic in it because its India who is stealing Pakistani water and violating Indus Water Treaty.

And BTW India had already many times blocked our water flowing from Himalayas.

:angry: how many times i have to tell everyone i am NOT a Mr i am gilr. GIRL :angry:
My bad!!

As I mentioned before Indus water treaty is not an issue in any of the dams. Even Pakistanis particularly Sindhis are opposed to the construction fo the dam although for different reasons.

As regards the concerns of people of Gilgit and Baltistan...
::IDSA Strategic Comments:: Bhasha Dam: A Tomb Stone of Gilgit-Baltistan’s Aspirations by Alok Bansal & Priyanka Singh::

The fundamental problem with the dam is that while almost the entire inundation will take place in Gilgit-Baltistan, the power plant will be located in Bhasha in NWFP and hence it will receive the royalty from the power generation.Although the entire water in the reservoir will be available for irrigation down stream in Pakistan, not even an acre of land will be irrigated in so called ‘Northern Areas’ (Gilgit-Baltistan). As a sop to the local population the name of the dam was changed from Bhasha to Diamer-Bhasha to give them a false sense of ownership and it was announced that the royalty will be shared with the ‘Northern Areas’. However, NWFP government has refused to share the royalty and Pakistani constitution supports their contention. The provision in the constitution states that the royalty would go to the state where the powerhouse for generating electricity is located. However, this is not a valid justification for the NWFP to reap the benefits of royalty from the dam, as the constitution of Pakistan does not apply to Gilgit-Baltistan, where the dam is actually located.

More over ...

The dam has grave socio-economic and environmental implications. It will displace the residents from at least 32 villages in Diamer District as soon the construction work starts. The large tracts of fertile land, which is extremely scarce in Gilgit- Baltistan will get inundated, making the region even more dependent on Pakistan for its food requirements. The construction will bring in large number of workers from outside the region. As it is the State Subjects Rule, which prevented outsiders from acquiring land in the region has been done away with, consequently, the migrants have been settling in the region and altering the unique ethnic composition of the region. The dam may further disturb the already delicate ethnic and sectarian balance in the region. The construction of a huge reservoir in a tectonic faultline may result in serious ecological complications. The recurrence of a massive earthquake like the one experienced in the Mirpur-Muzaffarabad region of *** in 2005, could lead to severe calamity as a breach in a huge reservoir like Bhasha Dam could inundate most of the cities located downstream on the banks of Indus.

AFAIK India's construction of dams is not a problem to Pak with regards to water. Even Pakistanis(those who matter) know this. Their concern is more because in case of a conflict India can open the gates at once flooding low lying regions on Pak's side causing extensive damage. They raise water security issue, which is really going to be an issue only after 2100 after the Himalayan glaciers give up, just for their fears. All this at the cost of development in J&K. I don't blame them. Because no one can put a price on security.:thumsup:

Last edited:
My bad!!

As I mentioned before Indus water treaty is not an issue in any of the dams. Even Pakistanis particularly Sindhis are opposed to the construction fo the dam although for different reasons.

As regards the concerns of people of Gilgit and Baltistan...
::IDSA Strategic Comments:: Bhasha Dam: A Tomb Stone of Gilgit-Baltistan’s Aspirations by Alok Bansal & Priyanka Singh::

ore over ...

Indus Treaty is very much an issue viz viz dams India is constructing in Held Kashmir.

Now as far as implications of bhasha dam for Pakistan and Pakistan that is our own internal issue. WHY INDIA and INDIANS are poking their nose into it as always.

who gave the right to India to object in this regard.

And oh please spare us from point of view of Indian Alok Bansal and Priyanka indeed are poking their nose into something which is not their concern.

now thts jus awesome, build more of em, lets give them taste of their own medicine :pakistan: & as Jana said Kick WB and others

If you follow Jana's recommendation, then there is a likelihood of cancelling the entire dam project, because Pakistan alone cannot probably finance such an expensive project. You better build the project with whatever outside help you get, and let India taste its own bitter medicine.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom