What's new

India claims Basmati rice as their GI - Basmati battle

The astonishing thing is that apparently the Indians in the GI application claim that the “first recorded reference to basmati rice is found in the Punjabi poem “Heer Ranjha” by the poet Varis Shah in 1766.”

A quick google search shows that Varis Shah was born, raised and died in what’s now Pakistan Lol
India claims the history of the entire region, we have not been able to counteract that, and effectively provide our own historical narrative.

History first and foremost belongs to the land and the ethnic group, other forms of associations follow afterwards.

The history of the region around the Indus rivers is first and foremost Pakistani history, going back to the Indus valley civilisation. We have been guilty of ignoring our history, although I think it's now changing. Social and mass media has allowed more diverse voices to be heard, but it truly needs to happen at state level, forcibly.

Few years back, India even tried to change the name of Indus Valley civilisation, but thank God our historians were awake and stopped their effort.

Last edited:
It is high time that Pakistan took apart the whole aspect of any relation that we have with india. Register the Rice products as an independent brand of Pakistan. Patent it and sell it under this title. Pakistani businesses ought to come together and form alliances, coupled with Government initiative to brand Pakistani products. Fight these lowlives at the time and place of our chosing and make sure that Pakistan is identified independently and comprehensively as a nation and culture on its own.

Indian Banya low life business people have been claiming our GI stuff as their own too, obvious stuff like local varieties of Mango we developed centuries ago, even our Hilsa fish for goodness' sakes!! They will try anything, throw it at the wall, and see if it sticks. No honor expected from thieves. :lol:

By the way, we have local varieties of nutty aromatic rice like Basmati , the grains of which are as small as Chini (Name is Chinigura). The other aromatic variety is called Kalijeera. Both are used in Pulau dishes and rice pudding (Firni).

Bangladesh has been very proactive about Indian attempts to steal our GI markers.

Chinigura
iu

aci-aroma-aromatic-chinigura-rice-1-kg.jpg

Kalijeera_rice.gif

Pakistan had an understanding with India that the two countries would jointly apply for the exclusive GI tag because basmati rice is our shared heritage since it is grown for centuries by both of them in areas along the Chenab. GI has more to do with soil than history, on the basis of which India has applied for exclusive tag from the EU. Our case for exclusive GI tag for our basmati rice is much stronger than India’s.
Although I agree Pakistan should be included in this GI tag, Pakistan is slow in its development and combat in international bodies to protect it's products. Just like when a US company took patents for Basmati there was only India to battle the patent, Pakistan watched from the sideline.

Now Pakistan has to GI tag it's own Basmati rice cultivation limiting to some provinces, conduct survey on the areas it cultivates Basmati, and appeal. Which is good for Pakistan. Just speed up the survey and submit the final report before the GI tag is granted.

Although I agree Pakistan should be included in this GI tag, Pakistan is slow in its development and combat in international bodies to protect it's products. Just like when a US company took patents for Basmati there was only India to battle the patent, Pakistan watched from the sideline.

Now Pakistan has to GI tag it's own Basmati rice cultivation limiting to some provinces, conduct survey on the areas it cultivates Basmati, and appeal. Which is good for Pakistan. Just speed up the survey and submit the final report before the GI tag is granted.

In that battle against the company based in Texas, i think you'l find Pakistan and India faught together, Pakistan was fighting as much as India, not watching from the sidelines as you suggested. I'm old enough to remember the story as it was being followed by the media.

Pakistan does not have to appeal because India has not been given the exclusivity rights as yet, either you are misinformed or trying to spread false information. It seems you are aware so I can only assume you are trying to spread false information. That's sad.

In that battle against the company based in Texas, i think you'l find Pakistan and India faught together, Pakistan was fighting as much as India, not watching from the sidelines as you suggested. I'm old enough to remember the story as it was being followed by the media.

Pakistan does not have to appeal because India has not been given the exclusivity rights as yet, either you are misinformed or trying to spread false information. It seems you are aware so I can only assume you are trying to spread false information. That's sad.
Pakistan? From the moment RiceTec got patent, it was the Indian government that fought tooth and nail against the US company to a point that, we threatened to take the US government to WTO over it. Pakistan is largely missing from that except maybe momentary lipservice. Pakistan doesn't have any libraries to protect biopiracy like what happened with the patent battle on neem, Turmeric you have same traditional products on that but you are largely missing from these patent issues. You have a lax attitude towards it which others will exploit. We will do everything to protect our business.

Pakistan should appeal before Dec 10 to avoid the loss in business. You got around 2 months. It's not that Pakistan can't appeal post-Dec 10, but it is going to take time to get things done once the GI tag was granted. This is the initial step in granting GI Tag, it is publishing it in papers, so any country who have a dispute can raise it with enough proofs. For that, you can't send poems written by poets, but survey reports on the cultivation.

Even in India, there is a GI tag for Basmati, that not every state can cultivate Basmati rice, only a selected few are allowed to cultivate it.

Pakistan? From the moment RiceTec got patent, it was the Indian government that fought tooth and nail against the US company to a point that, we threatened to take the US government to WTO over it. Pakistan is largely missing from that except maybe momentary lipservice. Pakistan doesn't have any libraries to protect biopiracy like what happened with the patent battle on neem, Turmeric you have same traditional products on that but you are largely missing from these patent issues. You have a lax attitude towards it which others will exploit. We will do everything to protect our business.

Pakistan should appeal before Dec 10 to avoid the loss in business. You got around 2 months. It's not that Pakistan can't appeal post-Dec 10, but it is going to take time to get things done once the GI tag was granted. This is the initial step in granting GI Tag, it is publishing it in papers, so any country who have a dispute can raise it with enough proofs. For that, you can't send poems written by poets, but survey reports on the cultivation.

Even in India, there is a GI tag for Basmati, that not every state can cultivate Basmati rice, only a selected few are allowed to cultivate it.

Rather than Pilling up accusations, please read what already has been said. It's already recognised Pakistan is lax in these matters. This discussion and your additions are on the matters of basmati rice, regarding which, you are either misinformed or mistaken. In India you only get an extremely filtered version of events regarding Pakistan, by the media and your analysts.

We know what needs to be done, and don't need your condensening advice regarding anything. If you decide to be sincere, then I'm happy to listen at any time.

Pakistan has to make a submission for its case, not appeal, an appeal is only actioned after a decision has been made. Somehow I wish you could understand. You may be well meaning, but your words betray a misplaced superiority complex.

I for one, in the mid 1990s, at the height kashmir killings, stopped watching Indian movies across the board, threw away all my music collection and stopped listening to modern Indian music.

But, I still believe we can't stop communicating, not on individual level nor at national level, because you can't shut yourself off into a cocoon, it is extremely unwise.

I still listen to indian classical music, although I'm uncomfortable with that term, because certain things are also my heritage, they are cross regional. Because India took the name India, it's somewhat problematic. Still, Most of my friends are indian, and are very close and dear to me. Although I understand your viewpoint and mostly agree, but, I think it is wise to remain open and continue talking.

Have Faith.

Covid-19 has showed...what can happen to humans at global scale.

Whatever is the shit, whetever it is, it has a shelf life. Some another crisis will teach South Asians to live together, adjust, adapt as clearly we do not have infinite appetite to kill each other.

Don't worry guys it's all desi rice. Now there stop fighting [meantime Indians brand it as INDIAN and earn billions in $$$s].
"Desi" is a word used to subdue Pakistan and Pakistani interests and Pakistan's independence.

As your excellent sardonic posts make clear, not only must we push back against Indian appropriation of Pakistani produce, but we must also wake up to the cunning methods they have been using to subdue the very word "Pakistan".

The war needs to be fought against the very term "desi", among other matters.

"Desi" is a word used to subdue Pakistan and Pakistani interests and Pakistan's independence.

As your excellent sardonic posts make clear, not only must we push back against Indian appropriation of Pakistani produce, but we must also wake up to the cunning methods they have been using to subdue the very word "Pakistan".

The war needs to be fought against the very term "desi", among other matters.
Glad you noted that. You might be aware I have been on this jihad against the use of the "desi" and other synonyms that "subdue" or obfuscate or avoid the use of "Pakistan". For fcuks sakes why can't we call everything "Pakistani"? The lack of this branding is now about to hit us bad style.

In UK I have noticed the friggin Irish say "Irish stew" which is same thing as "English stew". But that does not stop each claiming it as their own. They don't use synonyms like "desi" as in "native stew". No.

All this might not mean much if Indians also used "desi" but they will not when it suits them. Basmati rice becomes INDIAN, Balti curry becomes INDIAN etc etc

Yes, good posts.

All Pakistanis are advised not to use to word "Desi" for anything except Pakistani produce. Desi Murgayy, Desi Andayy, etc.

When outside Pakistan, please refrain from using the term and tell your friends not to use it.

The literal meaning of Desi means from one's own country, which means only Pakistani. It can never apply to Non-Pakistanis, even in its broadest definition.

Some nice conversations to be had brothers @PAKISTANFOREVER @PakFactor @Musings @Verve

Yes, good posts.

All Pakistanis are advised not to use to word "Desi" for anything except Pakistani produce. Desi Murgayy, Desi Andayy, etc.

When outside Pakistan, please refrain from using the term and tell your friends not to use it.

The literal meaning of Desi means from one's own country, which means only Pakistani. It can never apply to Non-Pakistanis, even in its broadest definition.

Some nice conversations to be had brothers @PAKISTANFOREVER @PakFactor @Musings @Verve

I actually hate the team "desi". I much prefer "Pakistani".

Back
Top Bottom