What's new

India becomes top spamming nation

Götterdämmerung;2871871 said:
Nothing really to write home about.

From context of India being on the top, may be yes.

No technical challenge for Nasa, Esa, RFSA or CNSA because those satellites were of low tech and low weight. The big boys just couldn't care less.

True! Until they do so, India will continue to maintain that record.

That's because so many are going hungry to bed. And despite the large food-based welfare programme, people in India are still dying from hunger.

Those welfare schemes have a long term goal of eliminating starvation, which won't happen immediately. The point is if proper level of improvement being made or not.

I would feel ashamed, if my country needs this kind of welfare programme to keep more people from starving to death.

Its shame indeed. But you are from a developed country , which atleast at some point in its history never had a serious problem with starvation, hence you may feel that way. However problem with starvation in India goes back to centuries, there is postive feeling since some of the results are good. Example:

I'd rather have a gov. that proides the infrastructure to give me a decent job with decent income to support myself and my family

Me too, but the ground realities can't be ignored. If Indian Govt builds good quality roads & power infrastructure in an area where starvation occurs. Th Indian Govt will be blamed for not addressing the basic needs. What you mention is a long term strategy, which is being done. Both welfare programs and increase in job opportunities should be addressed parallely.

We are not talking about some sub-Saharan countries, we are talking about a country that aspires a UNSC veto seat, who wants to be a member of the top club of the world.

The context i recall again was to refute some comments, and that comment said: India being most hungry, indicating highest level of food insecurity or highest level of Hunger.We can discuss Indian aspirations for UNSC when the topic comes again.

As a matter of fact, capitalism has killed more people than the two world wars including the Stalin terrors and Mao's crazy economy together.

Global impact of a specific is ideology is out of the context for now.

Exporting rice is just a symbol of what is going wrong in many developing countries. India as well as many African countries have fertile lands and can grow enough not to only feed their citizens but also the whole world, but the perversion of the capitalistic system that does not want a more equitable distribution of food and wealth that is killing millions per year!

Only concentrating India for now.I don't think you read that link, which i"ve provided, its written by the same man who came up with the HDI index.

The problem related to Hunger India, can be summarized based on the following extracts.

Indeed, low incomes, relatively higher prices, bad health care and neglect of basic education are all influential in causing and sustaining the extraordinary levels of undernutrition in India.

What about food policy, and in particular food prices policy? Why is it the case that the large expenditure on food subsidy in India does not achieve more in reducing undernourishment? Part of the answer lies in the fact that the subsidy is mainly geared to keep food prices high for the sellers of food - farmers in general – rather than to make food prices low for the buyers of food. The high incentive to produce more food while giving little help to the poorer people to buy food has produced the massive stocks of food grains that we find in India today.

In other words, if i am interpreting this right, the problem is with policy of Indian Govt to woo farmers by attempting to raise their income i.e boost the agricultural sector. But has caused the problem of farmers themselves being unable afford the same food grains they sold.

So now if the food grains are not purchased, the following options are there:
1. All that food grains go to waste.
2. All that food grains go to emergency storage, that again is pointless, as India has 50 million tones stored, way beyond the recommended 18 million mark.
3. Distribute them to the underprivileged at very low price by subsidizing food grains i.e Public_Distribution_System.
4. Export them and get earnings.

Only option 3 and 4 seem logical, since earnings from exports will allow the Govt to financially support option 3.

I don't see how evils of capitalism or free trade being the cause of the problem here.

The most pervers thing is, even if all Europeans don't buy basmati rice anymore, people in India are still going to die from hunger.

I agree, as the problem is not about quantity but availability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom