What's new

India asks Korea for a shipyard JV to build naval ships worth tens of bill

It is a very good move, I hope we will have more such deals and Joint ventures with South Korea, United States , France and Israel.

Looks India is in an increased arms race with China, and some other in the region.

Not necessarily, Indian shipyards are full so JV with Korea which has more advanced ship building industry will be helpful in terms of time and cost.

one with Korea NO.1 in Universe ideological coming~~~~~catch up India on space ability first then talking about "GN style" and seen one entertainment thing as proud, then proud of pickle as "dish".......more one should proud is your big confidence

What the hell r u trying to say...!:fie:

A joint venture with Korea in ship building is a great idea, India can learn the commercial side from Korea and Korea can learn about warship technology from India, Win win :tup:

Korean warship building capability is more advanced i think.

Korea can learn about warship technology from India, Win win :tup:
I don't think so except for the carrier operation.

I think should India decide to order two carriers from Korea, Korea will likely match the order with two carriers of the same type to cut cost for both. A former admiral working for a Korean naval shipyard upon retirement was talking about the cost of building a 40,000 ton STOBAR carrier, his estimate was $2 billion per copy. If both India and Korea pool the order, then I think the cost drops to $1.7 billion per copy.

We are talking a new-build, fully modern, and diesel/gas-turbine powered carrier here, not a refit of a cold-war era carrier from the 70s.

I don't think so except for the carrier operation.

I think should India decide to order two carriers from Korea, Korea will likely match the order with two carriers of the same type to cut cost for both. A former admiral working for a Korean naval shipyard upon retirement was talking about the cost of building a 40,000 ton STOBAR carrier, his estimate was $2 billion per copy. If both India and Korea pool the order, then I think the cost drops to $1.7 billion per copy.

We are talking a new-build, fully modern, and diesel/gas-turbine powered carrier here, not a refit of a cold-war era carrier from the 70s.

There are many proven players in Europe that would love to work with India in the technology side. Korea warship tech is unproven and cost saving is not a big criteria for India at this point, advance ship building and management are. Once you have these two cost effectiveness will come automatically....

Korea warship tech is unproven

BBC News - Aircraft carrier: A mind-boggling building job

The former deputy chairman of Babcock - which is part of the ACA - Lord Hesketh resigned in November after describing the project as a "disaster".

He told the BBC the carriers could have been built for a fraction of the cost at a shipyard in South Korea and claims the project only went ahead in its present form because of the number of jobs it preserved.

South Korean firm Daewoo wins Royal Navy tanker deal | The Economic Voice

South Korean firm Daewoo wins Royal Navy tanker deal

February 22nd, 2012
Author: Jeff Taylor

The next generation of four new Royal Fleet Auxilliary tankers are to be ordered by the MOD and built in South Korea by Daewoo.

LCS - Made In Korea?

LCS - Made In Korea?
Posted by Bill Sweetman 7:49 PM on Mar 11, 2009

Could the Navy’s Littoral Combat Ship end up being built in Korea or Finland? It seems unlikely but it’s also a possible conclusion if the program follows a path outlined by Rep. Gene Taylor (D.-Miss) at our Defense Technology and Requirements conference on Wednesday.

Taylor says that basic shipbuilding skills – for example, too much hand welding – are part of what has driven the overruns is LCS. He also noted to the conference that he’s visited other shipyards – Hyundai in Korea, Maersk in Finland – and concluded that “our yards have to get up to their standards.”

and cost saving is not a big criteria for India at this point
Less cost to build, more you can buy with same money.

Less cost to build, more you can buy with same money.

Oops, you got ban again? Not from this thread I hope.

I think India has all the technology she needs at this point or perhaps, a little improvements here and there. What she needs is modern shipbuilding management technology and no red tapes.

There are many proven players in Europe that would love to work with India in the technology side. Korea warship tech is unproven and cost saving is not a big criteria for India at this point, advance ship building and management are. Once you have these two cost effectiveness will come automatically....

I think this move has a lot of geopolitical importance too.Expanding economic ties with East Asian countries is one of the key priority of GoI right now.Besides they are the world's largest shipbuilding nation and there technology is considered superior than Europe,Its only the weapons side they fall behind.So this decision really makes sense.

India operated ACC's and nuclear submarine from ages and has had a decently strong navy - very few countries have a Naval heritage and India is one of them. So it's not a new phenomena, China or no China we would have had a strong Navy any ways.

A far as I know, by the Ming Dynasty, the Middle Kingdom navy already dominate the trade route from the Middle East across the Indian ocean to the far East. :woot:

India is one of the "FEW" which has a Naval heritage ? :rolleyes: Please enlighten me.

the Korean are quite desperate in trying to sell their junks. Their F-16 copied cat version already got rejected by Israel and now they try to sell ships that they do not make a thing except the hull:lol:

this is just another public relation stunt by the Korean to market themselves in the weaponry industry. Korean weapon technologies are just downgraded export version from U.S and Germany. If India wants to buy weapons from Germany and the U.S, they would go straight to the sources ie U.S and Germany. Why would India buy from Korea which offers nothing but another export downgraded version of tech that is even worst than the downgraded version Korea got from Germany and U.S ? :tdown:

More like this will become the preferred way of acquiring warships for India from now on.

Had Indian defense ministry come to Korea for a carrier, then they could have had a brand new carrier for the same money spent on Vikramaditya sooner.

At least the Indian Navy will have "Better than what Chinese have" warships in 5 years.

How can S Korea help India build a carrier if S Korea ever build ones?

Back
Top Bottom