What's new

Incredible ancient Hindu sculpture architecture and monuments

Lol some people really be making this into a tourist spot to visit in Karachi
With address on the internet and everything :lol:

I wonder if anyone actually followed that address for a weekend tourist spot to visit 🤣

Happens. Once my wife and I were looking to visit some secluded churches in Goa. Did some R&D on google, narrowed down on one and set the navigation. Towards the end of the drive we realised something is wrong. We ended up inside a dockyard, and surprisingly no one stopped us. Maybe it was the confidence (out of ignorance :laugh:)

Last edited:
@Suriya can we add Buddhist temples or it needs to be Hindu?
We have some very beautiful Buddhist temples here in Pak, we were a ancient Buddhist powerhouse and had whole Buddhist universities, temples and civillization here

Last edited:
@Sainthood 101 Don't see why it should be a problem, but I will leave it to the OP. Hindu, Buddhist and Jain temples have co-existed in the past, there photos can co-exist too! Here is a photo from my own trip to Ajanta and Ellora some 10 years back. The various cave temples you see in this photo are a mix of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain. Kings, especially in peninsular India patronised all religions of the time to keep their populations happy.

Ajanta_Ellora.jpeg

I did but gave a Facebook link later on
Oh, OK.

Ellora caves, kailasa temple
View attachment 688753

I don't think knowledge of ancient art and architecture exist today.
We may built another beautiful temple today e,g a new one at Ayodhya but I don't think it could match artistic intricacies of the old era.
There is a new Swaminarayan Temple in Gujarat, that is quite elaborate, but personally, I didn't much care for it.

The ISKCON people have built extensively at Mayapur, in West Bengal, but it reflects the heavy western orientation of that sect.

Incidentally, ISKCON are in a line of religious heritage that is quite authentic, however we may be taken aback by those very enthusiastic people who have discovered it in mid-life.

The best that I know of are the Birla temples in Calcutta and in Hyderabad, that are somehow much more satisfying in architectural terms than others.

I have pictures, but I think @Suriya should consent to their being put up.

@Sainthood 101 Don't see why it should be a problem. Hindu, Buddhist and Jain temples have co-existed in the past, there photos can co-exist too! Here is a photo from my own trip to Ajanta and Ellora some 10 years back. The various cave temples you see in this photo are a mix of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain. Kings, especially in peninsular India patronised all religions of the time to keep their populations happy.

View attachment 820299
Alright @Suriya I'll delete it if you think it's off-topic
This is the oldest Buddhist temple in the world
older than anywhere in India, China or even Buddhist countries
Situated in Swat Khyber pakhtunkhwa
61bfe7ba43614.jpg

kKmDQHJcpet89dqwQduchU.jpg

Mohra moradu - Buddhist monastery near taxilla (Pindi/Islamabad)
images (19).jpeg

hqdefault (2).jpg

640px-Mohra_Moradu_sculpture.jpg

images (20).jpeg

stucco-head-of-the-buddha-from-mohra-muradu-in-taxila-gallery-of-gandhara-national-museum-of-p...jpg

statue-buddha-jaulian-ruined-buddhist-monastery-haripur-pakistan-unesco-world-heritage-site-st...jpg

buddha-statues-of-jaulian-stupa-ancient-city-of-taxila-jaulian-haripur-district-khyber-pakhtun...jpg

taxila-archaeological-site-unesco-world-heritage-site-pakistan-silk-road-south-asia-2BJN6K6.jpg

Taxila.jpg

Attachments

• Taxila.jpg
    Taxila.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 30
@Suriya can we add Buddhist temples or it needs to be Hindu?
We have some very beautiful Buddhist temples here in Pak, we were a ancient Buddhist powerhouse and had whole Buddhist universities, temples and civillization here
I would like to keep it only Hindu and Hinduism related. Adding Buddhist structures would mess it up. India has some exquisite old Jain temples still I didn't add them in this thread.

I would like to keep it only Hindu and Hinduism related. Adding Buddhist structures would mess it up. India has some exquisite old Jain temples still I didn't add them in this thread.
Alright buddy, no problem I'll stop

Oh, OK.

There is a new Swaminarayan Temple in Gujarat, that is quite elaborate, but personally, I didn't much care for it.

The ISKCON people have built extensively at Mayapur, in West Bengal, but it reflects the heavy western orientation of that sect.

Incidentally, ISKCON are in a line of religious heritage that is quite authentic, however we may be taken aback by those very enthusiastic people who have discovered it in mid-life.

The best that I know of are the Birla temples in Calcutta and in Hyderabad, that are somehow much more satisfying in architectural terms than others.

I have pictures, but I think @Suriya should consent to their being put up.
Let's keep about old Hindu temples built before 100 years or before 20th century.

Well, in Indonesia Prambanan temple is also not active if you mean in religious term, Hindu in Indonesia is concentrated in Bali island, Prambanan temples is more toward tourism.

Look the visitors are all Muslim...

I was in Bali in nov19.
It's more hindu than my present 98 % hindu town.
Hindu shrines all over the city. Hindu symbols in front of shops , on the ground, everywhere.
The roundabouts have massive sculptures from the ramayana and mahabharata.
The airport has sanskrit signs.
Most of the above would not be allowed in government controlled areas of secular India.
Buddhist sculptures are more acceptable in Indian airports, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom