What's new

Incest a 'fundamental right', German Committee says

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very common in Karnataka too, and amongst all castes and sects. In fact, marriage amongst cousins is one of the oldest forms of marriage itself, and is not a recent phenomenon at all.

Add to this the fact that most subcastes were/still are endogamous groups, and marriages earlier also entailed high dowries, such an arrangement was usually seen as a good way to keep property within the extended family.
Add to it that it was very difficult to find the right match,as in there were no matrinony sites and there was no way to know more about the groom.
Getting your daughter married to first cousin was the safest bet.
@hinduguy

That's the rule in Karnataka too. And that's because the sister's children will be from a different gotra, but the gotra of all children from brothers will be the same. Same gotra marriages are still avoided, but that system is pretty flawed, as genetically unrelated people or very distantly related people can also have same gotra while very close people can have different gotras.:tsk:

And why do I remind you of Parvateshwar?:o: Being celibate does not make me an unparalleled warrior like him.:D
Oh so you've read it?
Now i hope you find your Anandmayi soon. :P

Add to it that it was very difficult to find the right match,as in there were no matrinony sites and there was no way to know more about the groom.
Getting your daughter married to first cousin was the safest bet.
@hinduguy

Oh so you've read it?
Now i hope you find your Anandmayi soon. :P
matrimonial agents roamed across India since lord ram... they might go extinct one day but they can still be found in their natural habitat.. :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom