What's new

In boost for 'Make in India', Dassault may manufacture Rafale fighter aircraft in India

And how you concluded this?

How you calculated 30-40 billion $?

BTW, you calculated this Total life cost or Off the shelf cost?

Hi just a rough estimate , total life cost

36 --> 8.3 billions
36 x 5 = 180, Therefore 8 x 5 = 40$
could be 30 - 40, economies of scale

36 --> 8.3 billions
How you know the contract that India going to sign with France only meant for Rafale?

36 --> 8.3 billions
BTW, $ 8.3 bn is not total life cost, but contract value that India going to sign with France in Jan.

Yep I really forgot about safran .

Okay let's add up the negative points

1. 180 Rafales at what cost ? 30-40 billion $ ?
2. Safran cancelled engine make in India
3. It's era of 5 th generation aircrafts
4. Pak fa deal is also around the corner.
5. Our IAF defense budget have to support rafale pak fa LCA super sukhoi upgradation
6. Reliance is less than amateur in aerospace industry.
7. DM parrikar announced 36 is THE number. And later made further acquisition ambiguous May or May not.

Any other points ?
France cannot afford 180 Rafales, from where will India get money.
Cost of missiles - French missiles are 4 times more expensive then Russian & twice expensive than US made.
Cost of upgrade of French fighter planes is more than cost of buying that plane.

France will never make planes in India. Their business model works on making buyer dependent on them so that they can suck money for 30 years for weapons, upgrade, spares etc.

How you know the contract that India going to sign with France only meant for Rafale?

BTW, $ 8.3 bn is not total life cost, but contract value that India going to sign with France in Jan.

Nice twist ,

So it's only total contract value , of everything we are going to buy January 2016.

What else are we going to buy?
What could be the total life cycle cost :o:

Nice twist ,

So it's only total contract value , of everything we are going to buy January 2016.

What else are we going to buy?
What could be the total life cycle cost :o:
Think yourself, India France relations just confined to Rafale?

But wait for Jan before concluding anything.

France cannot afford 180 Rafales, from where will India get money.
Cost of missiles - French missiles are 4 times more expensive then Russian & twice expensive than US made.
Cost of upgrade of French fighter planes is more than cost of buying that plane.

France will never make planes in India. Their business model works on making buyer dependent on them so that they can suck money for 30 years for weapons, upgrade, spares etc.

I guess that's why are asking for Astra , bhramos mini integration.
Possibly we will upgrade ourselves .

I guess that's why are asking for Astra , bhramos mini integration.
Possibly we will upgrade ourselves .
Nothing of that happening. India will buy just 36 planes directly from France due to our stupidity of floating global tender. End of Rafale saga.

Think yourself, India France relations just confined to Rafale?

But wait for Jan before concluding anything.

:-)

Yes, now that UK visit got over,
Even civilian deals could get included .
Nuclear reactors must be expensive, cannot be a part of 8.3
I don't even suspect Mistral, maîtri , additional scorpene, Caesar.

Smaller items like thermal sights, helicopter engines, could be included.
High speed trains may be.

Last edited:
India better live with LCA then getting ADA Reliance involved in strategic projects..

I think L&T should be the best bet!

If Reliance was going to be partnered then what was the hold up before ??

Fly-Swatter.jpg
You post that old picture everywhere.:lol:

Here's a new one.
images

36 --> 8.3 billions
I don't think second batch of 2 squadrons of rafale will cost more then 4.5 to 5 Billion $....

If Reliance was going to be partnered then what was the hold up before ??
sir,
it looks like this part too was a vestige of MMRCA deal. if we recall among many issues that plagued any forward movement during MMRCA negotiations was Dassault not ready to take guarantee for HAL made Rafale and subsequent logjam.
Now when MMRCA was scrapped and 36 deal was announced, a lot of things and procedures were carried over from old tender procedures (offset etc) and this again had created a roadblock for older reasons.
Now by allowing flexibility to Dassault in choosing partner under gambit of Make in India, they have closed an old sticky point and cleared decks of creation of another world class aircraft manufacturing capability.
We must take into cognizance that apart from Rafale, India and France are negotiating for Mid Air refuellers and possibly UCAV in future.
And with all that it looks we really are getting a sweet deal.

Look at this bro besides RAM coating which itself is an awesome development.

I hope we upgrade LCA more beyond powerful Mark 1 version as i firmly see it crossing 300 in numbers over years :smitten::smitten::smitten:. Also i see dedicated at least 100 such birds for IN role too.The best part is Dassault helping us with N-LCA program too as it has got excellent experience via Rafale - M program.

I think the indian negotiators deserve a honest applause and appreciation . They did negotiate hard and did not leak any information to public/reporters. Thats why finally this Manu Pubby report shows a completely drastic makeover pictures over so much negative portrayal by many media reports which also targeted Russian FGFA (some powers and paid media tried hard to break India away from Russia as well as make good friendship sour over MMRCA with France)

With Putin and Hollande coming together for ISIS bombing, India seems to have got the magical window of opportunity. The shopping bag will be occupied by awesome stuff from Russia and France.:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

After all its Black Friday Sales !!! :dance3::dance3::dance3:

Many here under estimated Tejas program. Simple logic. Once we are a complete fighter jets in large number evolution of its technology and capabilities are given. MK-2 to my knowledge is undergoing major face lift which is aimed at taking on future battle field threats in 5th gen warfare. Our planners are stuck with increasing length of Tejas too other than opting for Naval LCA wing leading edge vortex controllers (LEVCON). Options are suggested to decrease the angle of the wings more tapered to assist in increase speed of the fighter jet.

But one this is for sure Tejas MK1 P MK2 and future MK2-P gonna be a huge success for our nation. This one fighter jet is a check mate for both our neighbors. Swarms of light aircraft gonna guard indian skies while Russian and french heavy weight champions ripappart the enemies defence. :)

@PARIKRAMA
hi!
two things that stand out in this news is
  1. it looks IN too is considering Rafales and there is now some merit that government is open to considering IAF demand of more Rafale at later dates. we might end up having a number in vicinity of 190 as @Abingdonboy has maintained.
  2. it looks like India is establishing a template for future manufacture of 2-3 types of fighter jets in parallel. i find some similarity with how multiple submarine programs are proposed to be managed by public and private shipyards. with this in practice i suppose it will create a healthy competitions between manufacturers to deliver on time. it will also give government flexibility to decide funding.
interesting times ahead surely.

As @Abingdonboy maintained more fighters of rafale is true. But not with the current price tag. But since this new information emerging Made in India rafale could make it possible. In house system is a huge advantage for any jets or defence equipment for that matter.

Rafale M : See our Navy always shown interest in Marine version of Rafale. Rafale at sea will be a beast specially in our IOR and SCS. A dog fighter, A bomb truck, Stealth fighter, Carrier borne jet and more over the number of shorties can be taken by a French jets are more when compared with Russian ones. We learnt it from our history and very recently in Kargil war. The beast Mig29 is a champ but availability was just 30-55% while silent beauty Mirage 2K took almost double the shorties when required. Whole MMRCA was to buy 100+ new Mirage 2K as MRCA. Later converted into MMRCA due to advancement of Time. One Rafale can carry and do lots of missions of multiple Mirage. This is the thoughts we have on Rafale and the reason to get selected. Trust and Morale boost!!!

But we should not get carried away. F35 lightening Vertical takeoff landing is a must have requirement for our Navy. It's a sitting duck in air for airforce but for Navy and Island defence fleets it's a Game changer. Naval Sam systems and electronic warfare capabilities at sea are critical when you want to carry out an assault on Naval fleet. Here is where F35 comes into play. Which can blind enemies radars and launch missiles from far way.

On multiple platforms? India already has this habit of having multiple platforms. We will continue with it for the next generation too. PAKFA AMCA Rafale FGFA Tejas MK1P MK2 Su30MKI and Super upgrades. Our future fighters known so far

Back
Top Bottom