What's new

In boost for 'Make in India', Dassault may manufacture Rafale fighter aircraft in India

Its better India stick with import Rafale first. I bet the first Made in India Rafale will roll off the line on 2022. Can IAF afford that?
The first 36 Rafale will be off the shelf, and Dassault assured GoI that delivery start within 24 months of signing of contract.

It not about money. Basically India lack the sophisticated industries to produce production line to support the whole Rafale production. If you want to be 100% made in India. That will include set up of supplier chain line industries, not just ask Dassault to produce a production line will do. It is something money cannot buy in short time.
Yup, this is same like China, which claimed it using AESA for J-11, and in the end buying SU-35 equipped with PESA.

Partially correct sir but IN target year internally seems to be 2023 latest and maximum by 2025. (with slack period)

I dont know DAE even started the work on PWR reactor or not, or when the first land based version will be constructed. 2023 is little pretty highly optimistic.

@PARIKRAMA
hi!
two things that stand out in this news is
  1. it looks IN too is considering Rafales and there is now some merit that government is open to considering IAF demand of more Rafale at later dates. we might end up having a number in vicinity of 190 as @Abingdonboy has maintained.
  2. it looks like India is establishing a template for future manufacture of 2-3 types of fighter jets in parallel. i find some similarity with how multiple submarine programs are proposed to be managed by public and private shipyards. with this in practice i suppose it will create a healthy competitions between manufacturers to deliver on time. it will also give government flexibility to decide funding.
interesting times ahead surely.

You are going to see at-least 126 fighters. Plus IN aircraft. The Rafale can be used on US catapult technology. The same can also be applied to the N-LCA.

Over a period of time, we will see LCA, Rafale and the PakFa. The Rafale and PakFa will come online in 2020. Wait for the Modi Putin meeting. The only question is what happens to the AMCA. Will this become a technology demonstrator project, to be later used in another fighter?

I dont know DAE even started the work on PWR reactor or not, or when the first land based version will be constructed. 2023 is little pretty highly optimistic.

The LoR specifies that India would like to build a 300-meter long aircraft carrier that displaces 65,000 tons. The Navy also said that the ship should be able to travel at 30 knots. But LOR was silent on propulsion. Of course if its EMALS then i guess its going to be power hungry and then N option makes more sense. With speed of 30 Kn we rule out electric propulsion or hybrid types which are economical but slower speed types. Conventionally it can be done but then cost will be a lot higher for such speed and size of operations.

If its N propulsion then yes 2023 is optimistic unless help comes from France who operates Charles de Gaulle which has
2 × Areva K15 pressurised water reactors (PWR), 150 MWt (32 MWe) each., 2 × Alstom steam turbines with a total 61 MW shaft power, 4 × diesel-electric, 2 × shafts. The L&T Alstom tie up was suggested to have such implications for Indian N projects.

Other than that yes you are very correct in pointing out DAE work but a point to also note is that IN N Subs beyond S2/S3/S4 perhaps suggest a 8 missile K4/K5 and later 12 such missile tubes implying a heavier version needing a perhaps 150 MWt type reactor over present Arihant S2 (83 MWt unconfirmed). Also SSN project also needs bigger reactor output. Thus Russian help and inputs may be very vital. As these are black projects not much info is available I will tag here @Ind4Ever I remember he specifically suggested that Russia is our go to for a bigger reactor for both later SSBN and SSn projects. He should be able to provide us with some information on this.

Proof of the pudding is in eating it ..... lets see when it happens too early to say anything yet :coffee:
Its like a dangling carrot being shown to India.
It will be good though in some aspects as we need that tech for improving LCA's. Numerically, more the Rafale's in IAF better the capabilities. It ends there for me.
I doubt it will be that easy to absorb know how even if anything substantial offered.

The IAC-2 atleast 12-14 years away from commission, lets see which new solutions become available.
ideally they would want a fifth generation fighter like F 35 or a possible naval version of PAK FA but for sake of commonality and how J 31 is developed and deployed, Rafale is an excellent choice.
we must also consider thaat by 2035 there will be atleast 4 AC in IN fleet and therefore we are talking of 130- 150 naval fighters. A mix of N Tejas, MiG 29K and Rafale would be a very impressive fleet.

People are dreaming to much ,I am hearing this type of news from last 5 years , this could turn out to be another jumla

ideally they would want a fifth generation fighter like F 35 or a possible naval version of PAK FA but for sake of commonality and how J 31 is developed and deployed, Rafale is an excellent choice.
we must also consider thaat by 2035 there will be atleast 4 AC in IN fleet and therefore we are talking of 130- 150 naval fighters. A mix of N Tejas, MiG 29K and Rafale would be a very impressive fleet.

Lets consider FGFA for naval variant, but then which ORG optimize the FGFA for naval operations/EMALS?

Americans never touch a Russian tech., neither Russians touch the EMALS. So, its upto Indians & HAL, if FGFA become possible by 2020, then also start to make a naval version of this solution that can operate from American EMALS.

Fly-Swatter.jpg
I think he is telling right .

Back
Top Bottom