What's new

In biggest troop reduction, China to bring army down to 1 million

I think what is accurate about the article, at the least- is that the military is reducing PLA's quantitive strength while increasing PLAN's.

The recent news that Xi orded the formation of a 100,000-strong Marine Corps is a pointer to this. For comparison, the US Marine Corps is 300,000-strong- and they have global commitments while China's is largely focused on the maritime silk road.

Makes sense since the military doctrine now is 'Out to the Ocean' to protect her ever increasing overseas assets such as ports, supply depots and naval bases- especially those along maritime OBOR.

Last edited:
China has to many borders to cover so 1 Million is not enough but yes reduction should be made and it should be brought down to 1.6 Million

I think ground forces should be cut to about 800k from the current 1.2 million, and maintain about 600k mobile combat force. Border defence duties should be transferred to PAP, and supplement the decrease in patrol personal with surveillance drones. Navy and air force should each have about 300k members, with strategic rocket force having about 100k.

Why are so many ppl bashing on this article? China has an army size of over 1.2 million currently? Under current reforms, it plans to slash 300,000 soldiers. Hence we get an army under 1 million. What benefit is there of having a bloated army?

PLA will augmented by the PAP if needed. The PAP in fact can be considered as light infantry... Also, with more roads, railway & the increasing numbers of Y-20, transportation of troops across the country is faster & easier. So really don't need the numbers now...

PLA will augmented by the PAP if needed. The PAP in fact can be considered as light infantry... Also, with more roads, railway & the increasing numbers of Y-20, transportation of troops across the country is faster & easier. So really don't need the numbers now...
Unless there's going to be a war on Chinese terrain, the PAP isn't really needed. The PLAGF is right now more than capable of dealing with countries surrounding China.

Indian media didnt claim that at all. Please correct your statement.
They claim it right in the first sentence of the article. Instead of telling others to do their homework here, you should focus on not failing that Entry Level English class again.

Considering the fact the Chinese article they got this news from is written in clear English and very explicit about what the figures refered to and what the changes are and have been, the level of misscomprehension from the Indian journalists is embarassing.

Last edited:
this article is talking about recruit, all of them are students, sitting in classroom everyday, some of them are over weight. in fact, it's a bit difficult to join the army in China.

Well, if you say so.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/24/chine...re-too-unfit-and-masturbate-too-much-6876635/

If we are to go by this report, the Chinese have taken the right decision.
Uhh ... this just means that the PLA has improved their recruit standards ... and this is a pretty piss poor tabloid. And how does one masturbate too much? Surely the PLA is not the only one who does it? I know for a fact that American military personnel does that...especially on long deployments. European countries do it as well I think. A pretty dumb article if u ask me ...

Uhh ... this just means that the PLA has improved their recruit standards ... and this is a pretty piss poor tabloid. And how does one masturbate too much? Surely the PLA is not the only one who does it? I know for a fact that American military personnel does that...especially on long deployments. European countries do it as well I think. A pretty dumb article if u ask me ...

Oh Yeah !! Dumb indeed!! Would have blown the trumpet had it been some other nation.

It is the truth lol ... why single out China while ignoring all other nations ..... this “problem” is not unique to the PLA

What ever suits your bucket !

Back
Top Bottom