What's new

In biggest troop reduction, China to bring army down to 1 million

Typical sensationalist tabloids ... wouldn't pay too much attention :disagree:. I bet the PLA has more important issues to worry about at this point.

More important than lack of resources? I wonder what might it be 8-)

More important than lack of resources? I wonder what might it be 8-)
I mean organization, technology, training, etc ... more important than shitty recruits from one small city ...

Last edited:
I mean organization, technology, training, etc ... more important than shitty recruits from one small city ...

The city of 57% failures was just an example of the situation the entire country is into. No denial that technology and training are important but not as important as manpower unless you wanna surrender to AI.

The city of 57% failures was just an example of the situation the entire country is into. No denial that technology and training are important but not as important as manpower unless you wanna surrender to AI.
you don't understand how difficult to join the army in china. it's more difficult than join in Top 500 Global corporations.
ZhuHai is a city in Guangdong province, last month, this year(2017), online enrollment reached 2714 people, among them, college enrollment of more than 1100 people, is 1.25 times last year, the actual number of college students enlisted 281 people, beyond the average level of Guangdong Province, a record high.

you don't understand how difficult to join the army in china. it's more difficult than join in Top 500 Global corporations.
ZhuHai is a city in Guangdong province, last month, this year(2017), online enrollment reached 2714 people, among them, college enrollment of more than 1100 people, is 1.25 times last year, the actual number of college students enlisted 281 people, beyond the average level of Guangdong Province, a record high.

I was not criticizing PLA here or anybody for that matter !! Getting into the Indian Army is as difficult if not more. I was just pointing it out that PLA made a smart move by reducing its size to make it lean and mean as they have a shortage of qualified manpower.

I was not criticizing PLA here or anybody for that matter !! Getting into the Indian Army is as difficult if not more. I was just pointing it out that PLA made a smart move by reducing its size to make it lean and mean as they have a shortage of qualified manpower.
I was also that kind of unqualified manpower, I'm color blind. what about India army? color blind is acceptable or not?
China army need more college students, due to every soldier should operate something.

I was also that kind of unqualified manpower, I'm color blind. what about India army? color blind is acceptable or not?
China army need more college students, due to every soldier should operate something.

Indian army does not accept applicant's with any medical conditions including common dental problems . An applicant must score a healthy rating in his/her medical tests for becoming a cadet and then a solider. Those who join the Indian Army are of Age groups between 18 and 26 unless you are a doctor. So the level of screening is high. We have a National Cadet Corp program where millions of students undergo a military preparatory training in their schools and colleges.

One small city does not represent the whole of Chinese recruits ... the PLA has increased their recruitment standards over the years ... resulting in many more being rejected

One small city does not represent the whole of Chinese recruits ... the PLA has increased their recruitment standards over the years ... resulting in many more being rejected

One small city was an even smaller example of the larger situation. Recruitment standards increase without taking into account the sorry state of youth it is producing? that's a definite OMG moment for PLA.

'shortage of qualified manpower for the army' in a 1.4billion-people nation like China

Hahahahahahaha.

Hey thanks!

Oh n eye problems is a very common condition in China n even here in Singapore too, yet large amounts of myopic regulars are employed in not just the army, but also in the navy n air force.

Critical thinking skills is a prequsite for regulars(especially the air force) n all applicants must undergo a comprehensive, computerised IQ test, while those ppl who happen to score at least above a threshold, are coincidentally- almost always myopic.

Last edited:
Consider we have rival like India/Vietnam, we can't cut down the number of active army below 2 millions.

Consider we have rival like India/Vietnam, we can't cut down the number of active army below 2 millions.

These are indeed supa powans the PLA will have to face. Must keep this amount of army for future engagements, they will challenge us for sure.

These are indeed supa powans the PLA will have to face. Must keep this amount of army for future engagements, they will challenge us for sure.
1/2 the size of China’s current army (PLAGF) is enough to defeat these “supa powans”. Really no need for a bloated army when the threat is in the air and skies. It took long enough for the PLA to finally realize this ...

First, a war with India would only involve a couple or tens of thousands of troops specialized in mountain warfare, like 1962. There would be no need to send hundreds of thousands of men to fight in the Himalayas unless China is keen on invading India. Regarding Vietnam, I believe that just 2-300,000 soldiers is enough for a conflict ... the logistical constraints of moving an even larger army would be huge and there would be no advantages. Unless China expands its Air Force, Navy, and Rocket Force personnel dramatically, I see little reason why they couldn’t cut the number even further ... especially the PLAGF

Zeenews from India? What do you expect. They will brag its from PLA mouth piece but fact is they don't even know a word of Chinese and spin whatever they want.
I'm assuming it's mostly nonessential positions, and redundant posts, correct? Still, a slightly smaller army would be quite lethal for China, and would increase the PLA's over all quality.

China has a large land army, and it will continue to need a large land army, but even than, the current numbers are a bit too big.

If China wants to modernize, this is necessary. Any loss of capability can be replaced with machines, drones, and more efficient techniques.

A large land you need to guard? Just get drones and surveillance equipment. Need to guard the ridiculously large borders? Again, drones and cameras, with highly trained personnel. What about war with a large military? A better trained smaller army is more efficient, and arguably even more powerful (take the UK military, as an example).

Back
Top Bottom