What's new

In Atheists We Distrust

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Atheistic Religions".... umm wut?

compliment should be returned to you

You lot need to learn more about Dharmic religions.

Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Believing that the Veda are standard (holy or divine), believing in a Creator for the world,
Bathing in holy waters for gaining punya, having pride (vanity) about one's caste,
Performing penance to absolve sins,
Are the five symptoms of having lost one's sanity.

^Part of a Budhhist text.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Let's build a model of God together shall we. We'll call it the Jiang&BP Theory of God!

I'll offer the first postulate: our understanding of God is that we're unable to understand him*. Meaning, it is impossible to conceptualize God as a noun (a thing, a place etc) except by His name.

You take the second turn.

*Idea lifted from Abu Bakr R.A's sayings.

Why do you need a name to conceptualize the unimaginable? Are you not trying to limit the limitless to a mere word?

Let's build a model of God together shall we. We'll call it the Jiang&BP Theory of God!

I'll offer the first postulate: our understanding of God is that we're unable to understand him*. Meaning, it is impossible to conceptualize God as a noun (a thing, a place etc) except by His name.

You take the second turn.

*Idea lifted from Abu Bakr R.A's sayings.

Ok... then no point in talking ...class dismissed !!... go home !!

...Now compare this with Jihad or Crusade and see the difference.
I thought you knew what Jihaad meant and were smarter than to take the definition from its use in the India-Pakistan context. The word you're looking for might be Harb (war), qitaal (battle), or in our local Farsi-Urdu vocabulary, jang (war). And that could be fought, under the shari3ah, wAllahua3lam, against a Muslim country to protect non-Muslim people.

Id like to add in defense of the Crusaders, they didn't come killing the Muslims because the latter "didn't ascribe to Roman Christianity". They had profound political reasons which you could research rather than read their war propaganda. Rome had been pushed to its hinterland in Europe, and the major centres of Christianity had asked refuge with the Muslims rather than their Roman co-religionists.

Atheism is in fashion these days. Many people are going Atheists with similar degree of ignorance when they were used to be religious .

Ok... then no point in talking ...class dismissed !!... go home !!
OK, how do you conceptualize Him? Is he an old man in the clouds with an expansive grey beard?

Have some patience. I was going to introduce God through adjectives rather than nouns, like He's merciful, honourable etc...

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Why do you need a name to conceptualize the unimaginable? Are you not trying to limit the limitless to a mere word?
No sir. A name is a sound-signature. It is not a description by which you know something, rather the pointer that references to it. That's how I understand it.

OK, how do you conceptualize Him? Is he an old man in the clouds with an expansive grey beard?

Have some patience. I was going to introduce God through adjectives rather than nouns, like He's merciful, honourable etc...

sorry yaar ....my question is why we need a GOD?

I thought you knew what Jihaad meant and were smarter than to take the definition from its use in the India-Pakistan context. The word you're looking for might be Harb (war), qitaal (battle), or in our local Farsi-Urdu vocabulary, jang (war). And that could be fought, under the shari3ah, wAllahua3lam, against a Muslim country to protect non-Muslim people.

Id like to add in defense of the Crusaders, they didn't come killing the Muslims because the latter "didn't ascribe to Roman Christianity". They had profound political reasons which you could research rather than read their war propaganda. Rome had been pushed to its hinterland in Europe, and the major centres of Christianity had asked refuge with the Muslims rather than their Roman co-religionists.

I know what Jihad literally meant(although different Islamic scholars have different opinions about it) but let's not fret over rhetoric, the point I was trying to make is that religion or the flawed interpretation of it can be used for political purpose. Same as crusade, individual Christian can be of good qualities and God fearing person, however all that goodness gets nullified when the religion is used to prop up emotion en masse.

No sir. A name is a sound-signature. It is not a description by which you know something, rather the pointer that references to it. That's how I understand it.

In other words, you need a pointer, in your case a sound to perceive what is unimaginable and un-sayable. Your mind isn't evolved enough to grasp what is God without limiting him to a word, same as what mainstream Hindus do with deities.

Is that an argument against atheism or foxholes?

It's a statement about human nature. Call it the 'God gene' or something less charitable, it boils down to the fact that humans instinctively seek a pattern and a purpose behind a mechanistic universe.

It makes no statement about whether God exists.

Is hard to get into religion when their teachings can only be taken with a truly massive amount of salt.

However, I admire the philosophical and moral value of certain aspects of religion. And I'm open to the idea of God, just not in the form described by existing religions.

What do you mean by "openness to the Idea of God"? Do you think that there is a possibility of God which can't be outright denied or You believe in God but your difference is with the "characteristics of God" defined by various religions?

In none of the above cases did they kill people in the name of atheism, ie, they didn't exterminate people just because they didn't subscribe to atheism. Now compare this with Jihad or Crusade and see the difference.
Because atheism is not materialized like religion.
When there is a war of religion, this religion that attacks some people is a government that uses a religion as a powertool and it can do so because religion is a constitution of the identity that can lead people together .
Atheism in general cannot "make people together" you know .. it is not generally something that unites people.
Except when the population becomes anti religion , the ideology is anti religion: like russians for exemple.
It is not the matter of religion but it is more matter of an ideology: this ideology organised by a state or a group should have enough identity to make it strong .
when of course a religion is specific , is very easy to use for an ideology, of course it should be easier to use to kill people.

Where i live, there were hundred of years of war of religion: Toulouse and the cathares region.
Catholics first fighted the cathares, which was very interesting communauty to study (i spent some months to read some books about and it is impressive the similarities with even our religion , in the same time it was very opened christian religion)
they exterminated the cathares and put even a pop in the region of toulouse to lead the inquisition
then people here never forgot and they easily entered in protestant religion
which as well suffered from a war by catholics : many cities celebrate the resistance against catholics (of course it is historical nothing of religious hatred)
Now people don't care being catholic or protestant. that doesn't make sense of difference. it means so much that in a time people were manipulated by some leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom