What's new

In a first, umpire banned for fixing

illusion8

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
DHAKA: The Bangladesh Cricket Board on Monday banned international umpire Nadir Shah for 10 years after a sting operation by an Indian TV channel found him apparently willing to fix matches for cash.

Shah announced he would appeal against the decision, saying he had been made a scapegoat, but the move was welcomed by the International Cricket Council as underlining a commitment within the game to root out corruption.

The Bangladeshi board launched an inquiry after the private India TV channel aired footage last October which appeared to show that the 49-year-old Shah was willing to give LBW (leg before wicket) decisions on demand.

While the board did not publish the findings of the inquiry, it said in a statement that Shah "will not be considered for BCB retainership for 10 years".

"During this period he will not be eligible for any assignment under the jurisdiction of the BCB," it added.

Shah, who has stood in 40 one-day internationals and three Twenty20 internationals, was one of six umpires caught in the undercover investigation, including three from Sri Lanka and two from Pakistan.

All of the six were subsequently suspended by their own boards but they have consistently refuted the allegations.

Speaking to AFP after Monday's verdict, Shah said it was "part of conspiracy against me".

"Definitely I'll talk to my lawyer and appeal against the decision," he said.

"It's a decision taken on the basis of TV footage. It's based on casual talk sitting in a room in New Delhi in July 2012.

"Do they have any proof that I've taken money or given any decision in anybody's favour? Is there any record?"

Bangladesh umpire banned for 10 years after spot fixing allegations - Yahoo! Cricket India

I say the concept of on field umpires should be abolished from limited overs cricket particularly T20s

Back
Top Bottom