What's new

Imported crude oil from India reaches Narsingdi

I also don't agree with the idea of producing electricity in Nepal or Bhutan, electricity power plants are strategic and there should never be a dependancy on other countries for it even if it's only 5%. I never agreed with Hasina's policy of getting Indian or Nepalese/Bhutanese electricity. If we can produce 95% of our needs in BD, it's not too hard to do 100%, this was simply not needed.

Hydroelectric in Nepal and Bhutan was a bad idea, it was not required. Hasina is a good policy maker but nobody is infallible, I don't agree with what she did with this one.

Ok, let us agree to disagree on the other points you made as we are too far away for there to be anything close to a meeting of minds.

What exactly would be wrong with BD getting up to 20% of its power from Nepal/Bhutan via India, as it would always keep this amount of fossil fuel powered stations on standy anyway and so in the worse case scenario of this power stopping there would be little effect on BD?

The chances are pretty much zero anyway as India would need to be in a seriously bad place to even think about stopping transmission of electricity where it financially benefits anyway, not to mention it would seriously anger Nepal and Bhutan who would come to rely on the billions of dollars every year they would get from BD.

Hydroelectric power is clean and cheap. For BD to build the equivalent nuclear would require an extra decade and taking out 10s of billions in extra loans. BD may have the money but it does not have the time here. GWs of cheap and clean hydroelectric power will probably flow from Nepal and potentially Bhutan by 2030.

There is no real negatives to this if you really thing about it and that is why Hasina is going through with it.

Besides, for what exact benefit we should allow Indian trucks to pass through BD, why can't we do transshipment which is happening now.
Exactly, why should Indian truckers will transport goods in their own trucks through our roads>

I also don't agree with the idea of producing electricity in Nepal or Bhutan, electricity power plants are strategic and there should never be a dependancy on other countries for it even if it's only 5%
However, BD needs electricity from any quarter. Nepal is good but we have to bring it via Indian land.

Note that India will be transporting goods over our rivers to its NE. So, any Indian sanction of power can be nullified by imposing a similar one on its transportation over our rivers.

Ok, let us agree to disagree on the other points you made as we are too far away for there to be anything close to a meeting of minds.

Why? I am always up for a healthy discussion. Lets discuss those too.

What exactly would be wrong with BD getting up to 20% of its power from Nepal/Bhutan via India, as it would always keep this amount of fossil fuel powered stations on standy anyway and so in the worse case scenario of this power stopping there would be little effect on BD?

The chances are pretty much zero anyway as India would need to be in a seriously bad place to even think about stopping transmission of electricity where it financially benefits anyway, not to mention it would seriously anger Nepal and Bhutan who would come to rely on the billions of dollars every year they would get from BD.

Hydroelectric power is clean and cheap. For BD to build the equivalent nuclear would require an extra decade and taking out 10s of billions in extra loans. BD may have the money but it does not have the time here. GWs of cheap and clean hydroelectric power will probably flow from Nepal and potentially Bhutan by 2030.

There is no real negatives to this if you really thing about it and that is why Hasina is going through with it.

However, BD needs electricity from any quarter. Nepal is good but we have to bring it via Indian land.

Note that India will be transporting goods over our rivers to its NE. So, any Indian sanction of power can be nullified by imposing a similar one on its transportation over our rivers.

Electricity generation plants, fuels reserves etc are strategic in nature, there should never be a dependency on it. Standby generation is the the difference between the actual generation capacity and the installed capacity. Nobody churns out electricity at the actual installed capacity, not for long anyway. There can be many unforseen issues that are beyond your control that can bring you down to your knees. Civil war, political unrest, hostile government, revolution, political disagreement, natural calamities and many other unforeseen things that can happen that will impact you. There should not be any dependency on strategic installations. I can agree that we can save some money by importing hydroelectricity from those countries but for 20% needs that savings can't be so great to justify accepting a dependency. 20% dependency in itself can't be justified to start with.

@Bengal71

Ekattor dada,

Electricity generation plants, fuels reserves etc are strategic in nature, there should never be a dependency on it.

Bingo! The point is whatever plant you set up nuclear or coal or LNG based- even if the generation capacity is located within the borders of BD, the fuel would still come from outside. Besides, consider this. BD isn't blessed with too much hydro, wind or solar potential. Would you want to set up thermal or nuclear facilities in BD's fragile ecology? Where would you dispose all the nuclear wastes?

Regards

@Bengal71

Ekattor dada,

Electricity generation plants, fuels reserves etc are strategic in nature, there should never be a dependency on it.

Bingo! The point is whatever plant you set up nuclear or coal or LNG based- even if the generation capacity is located within the borders of BD, the fuel would still come from outside. Besides, consider this. BD isn't blessed with too much hydro, wind or solar potential. Would you want to set up thermal or nuclear facilities in BD's fragile ecology? Where would you dispose all the nuclear wastes?

Regards

Nuclear waste goes back to Russia.

Last edited:
Dude, India is bypassing Western sanctions and selling Russian crude to BD.

Yeah they are making money but which other country will do this for BD?
Dr.Jai Shanker has clarified that Russian oil is not diverted to any other countries. Whatever you got from India is probably from indian reserves. Russian crude is special variety which Bd does not poses the refining capabilities.

Dr.Jai Shanker has clarified that Russian oil is not diverted to any other countries. Whatever you got from India is probably from indian reserves. Russian crude is special variety which Bd does not poses the refining capabilities.

It is refined oil.

There is in essence no difference between the Russian and Indian oil as it all ends up in a single "pool".

BD is building a brand new oil refinery and that may have ability to refine Russian crude but I do not have the exact details on this.

It is refined oil.

There is in essence no difference between the Russian and Indian oil as it all ends up in a single "pool".

BD is building a brand new oil refinery and that may have ability to refine Russian crude but I do not have the exact details on this.

Which refinery is BD building?

There is no excess inventory where countries are tearing their hair out trying to get hold of as much crude as possible.
Sigh ,, stupidity on this forum seems the norm

Some people have a knee-jerk reaction that anything that India does as self-interest.

India did not need to supply 1.2 million tonnes of wheat or this refined oil as it has more than enough buyers and I am sure some would have paid higher prices!

Let them crow on this forum as it will zero difference to ongoing BD-India close co-operation.

Some people have a knee-jerk reaction that anything that India does as self-interest.

India did not need to supply 1.2 million tonnes of wheat or this refined oil as it has more than enough buyers and I am sure some would have paid higher prices!

Let them crow on this forum as it will zero difference to ongoing BD-India close co-operation.
A better example is Sri Lanka. No country, not even IMF, came to their rescue when they needed it the most. China came with fancy projects when Sri Lanka was regarded as best economy in South Asia, India came with foods and energy when their economy is the worst in the world. This is after knowing that Sri Lankans including their general population look down on other countries in South Asia including India and Bangladesh.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with this. We have given them transshipment for negligible price, even then they don't pay properly. There is simply no need to give them transit while our roads and infrastructure will be used by them too, for what benefit? Yes we need co-operation, we need a working relationship where both sides benefit but in the name of integration we don't need to open our borders to Indians. I don't want to see Indians speaking in Hindi in streets, market places and bazars. Have a transactional relationship where both party can benefit, co-operate on geopolitical matters where we can be on the same page and that's about it.
Do you have data what India pays BD for transhipment in terms what she pays and what not?

On topic though many places Naptha and Crude Oil is used to describe same, its not technically same. Image below. I am pretty sure its from IOCL Haldia Petrochemical

1658850017643.png

To my knowledge there is not any refinery in BD which can distil Russian oil. Not a good show of journalisn.

How is BD spending billions for BD connectivity that mainly benefits India?

Can we have some examples here?
Construction of ports and roads to support Indian connectivity.
Tata offered to set up a steel plant around 2011-12 but that was just to use Bangladeshi gas to do initial processing then move the material to India for further value addition.

I am not against India loans but loans must have an ROI and financial feasibility ( such as how to pay for the foreign loan component) to pay for it.
BD export will keep growing and that should pay for it is not sound analysis.

Agree! If India can keep Hindutva in check, there is nothing can prevent us to become a friendly neighbor, and development partner!

But time will tell us , if really India is willing to keep Hindutva in check or not!

Action always speaks louder than the words!

As a bigger neighbor, it's primarily India's responsibility to make it's neighbors feel safe , instead of feeling threatened!

But TBH,I am in serious doubt , if we can reach to a conclusion about India so fast!

It's almost impossible to believe in such country who is under Hindutva rule ,can keep Hindutva in check!

That's why , let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

Excellent post, bro!

I am a bit perplexed as to why so many BD'shis are against transit right to India.

Without this then the dream of creating a free trade area in the region of 400 million people where goods,service and energy can flow freely is a non-starter.

Some BD'shis were recently saying that Padma Bridge was built mainly to cater to transit for India.:disagree:

It the “Brexit” mentality lol

How has that turned out for U.K. LOL

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom