What's new

'I'll show what a Muslim woman can do if given chance'

Bangladeshi women wear sarees all the time!

even many pakistani women wear saree,though not all of them and not often,but they do.infcat its a style trend in pakistan to copy Indian dresses...saree in this case, a hindu dress as you can call it.

Burqa to khaki: Gujarat mother is first Muslim woman DySP

From a burqa to a khaki uniform is a long distance, especially in Gujarat. Yasmin Sajid Sheikh has taken that leap — the 32-year-old schoolteacher and mother of two is set to become the first Muslim woman DySP of Gujarat.

Sheikh, who recently cleared the Gujarat State Public Commission Services exam, has never met a woman police officer. She says it was the depiction of officers in khaki on television and the big screen that motivated her.

Her in-laws back her completely, as does husband Sajid, a designer with a local embroidery firm. And the burqa, they say, is not an issue. Sheikh would wear the veil on her way to work as a schoolteacher, a job she took on to augment family income.

The daughter of a retired government primary schoolteacher, she has done double post-graduation, in Hindi and Gujarati, earning two gold medals. It was but natural, says Sajid, that she appear for the GPSC.

"I am proud to have such a beautiful life partner," he says. "We have never quarrelled in our married life of eight years. I take care of the kids getting them ready for school when she goes for work. Now I want to see her in a khakhi dress. I don't mind even if she gets transferred to other districts... we will manage."

Explaining why she always wanted to be in the police, Sheikh says: "A Revenue Department job is a simple desk job... it is limiting. I want to wear the police uniform, a job that touches all sections of society." No one from either her or her husband's family has ever been in the police.

"In the final interview they asked me how should Kashmir issue be resolved," she recalls. "My answer was peace talks."

@ Indian brothers

Why do we need to prove a troll that we are secular?

Hatred has blinded many people and their posts lack sense everytime and are high on bs.

Its easy to criticise anyone...and afterall whom are we giving an explanation to?..a nation which celebrates when ONE Sikh joins their army or a nation which throws hindus out of the village when a hindu child drinks water from a mosque.

We have had a president who is a Muslim...for those "educated illitrates" who call him a 'puppet' need to know that the "President" is the 'supreme commander' of the defence forces....he is the missile man of India...to call him a puppet is so stupid.

Looks like our friends from across the border think that...every Muslim being successful in India has sold his/her religion to Hindus.

People need to seriously look at their country before criticising us...we are doing a lot better in secularism than they can ever do.

:) the real test and applause would have been if the saffron party had accepted her with her real Muslim identity

Is burqa mandatory for muslim women? I don't think so. So even if she is not wearing burqa, she is still muslim.

If this is otherwise then all muslim women in France will have to change their religion as they have banned burqa. right?

I really don't see how a Muslim can remain a Muslim by joining the BJP and keep a straight face at the same time.

The BJP ideologically is ready to slaughter Muslims.

BJP would say "I'll show you what we can do to Muslims if given the chance". I hope India never goes down that path again.

my thoughts exactly

you do have power hungry sissies here and there who will sell their souls and dignity to ''fit in''

BJP is an enemy of all Muslims

No but logic does.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Truth is, you get rent-a-Muslims to blow up mosques these days, why can't BJP find some to stand behind a podium, give a few speeches and make them look softer than they are.

best reply so far

SURAT: She has become a role model for tens of thousands of progressive Muslim women in Gujarat in particular and country in general. Meet Yasmin Sajid Sheikh, a 33-year-old mother of two kids and a school teacher by profession, who successfully cleared the Gujarat Public Service Commission (GPSC) examination, and aspires to serve the society by becoming a police officer.

For a gold medalist in MA and BA, clearing the GPSC was quite a tough job. She conceived last year when the final interview for GPSC was a few months away. When she was eight-month pregnant, the final interview call came. She requested the GPSC authorities to postpone the interview for two months as she was just few days from giving birth to her baby. In May last, Yasmin went for the final interview with her 21-day-old baby girl Sheefa in her lap and successfully cleared it after two hours of gruelling questionnaire.

This daughter of a retired government primary school teacher, Yasmin wanted to become a doctor. But, poor economic condition of her parents did not permit her to study medicine.

"I could not become a doctor, but now I can serve the society by becoming either a police officer or a revenue officer," says Yasmin, whose first preference a police officer's job and the second is revenue officer.

After completing her studies and earning a gold medal in BA, Yasmin took up the job of school teacher at Shardayatan School in city's Piplod area in 1998. She married a textile diploma holder boy, Sajid Sheikh, at the very tender age of 21 years. With the support of her loving husband, there was no looking back for Yasmin.

"When I was in Class X, I had a chance to watch television in our neighbour's house. There a little girl was asked about her role model. She said she wants to be a role model for others. That moment changed my life and now I am a few steps away from becoming a role model for others," says Yasmin while patting her four-month-old daughter Sheefa in her lap at her residence in Sagrampura.

In the middle of conversation, Yasmin's eight-year-old son Mohammed Faizan rushes toward his mother and asks, "How can I become a police officer?" Yasmin replies "Son, you have to work hard for that".

A teacher, who teaches Gujarati and Hindi literature to the students of Class X, XI and XII, she is a poet. But, she still wants to work in a rugged field.

For her, policing is a subject of love as she believes "if we are good and positive everything around us is the same".

Sushma Agarwal, principal of Shardayatan School where Yasmin teaches Hindi and Gujarati literature, says, "I know Yasmin for the last many years. She has been a silent achiever and a very hard working woman I have ever seen. Taking care of her kids and husband at home, students in the school and preparing for GPSC is a tough job. But she has achieved, what I believe, is unimaginable."

Fatima Jinnah -

jinnahwith20fatima.jpg

Saris have been worn by people living in the region that is now Pakistan since ancient times.
[/IMG]

When shes not forced to wear it.

^
Who is being forced??

nForces this is Pakistan Defence forum not "How do I read english", which is pretty evident from your post and action of not reading well.

Can we see an improvement from your stupid idiot mind of yours by NOT making illiterate comments on the board ?

Huh really... could ya ?

I dint think you are a Mod
Never claimed to be but it doesn't take a mod to figure what you are mainly here for - TROLLING, Is there anything better you people can do ?
Can't you get your self into a civilised discussion without insulting someones religion is it too much to comprehend for your little mind ?

you know if you want :wave: just continue with your trolling and I'm sure a Moderator will give a genuine :wave: for good.

Last edited:
All women in Bangladesh wear saree. More common in conservative rural areas. Its how you wear it. I am not sure whats the big deal about it. Saree is the most chosen outfit for any social occasion.

A woman might get looks or frowned upon if she wears salwar-kameez in the conservative rural areas !!

"Rent a Muslim", "Lesser Muslim" all depict how uneasy a few Pakistanis are on how the Indian Muslim has shown time and again they have nothing to do with Pakistan :lol:

The protests on streets after the court verdict of Ayodhya was a classic example and probably pre-meditated thinking there has to be protests in India and we have to show solidarity was another case of major embarrassment to the Pakistani Muslim.

The basic dichotomy appears when life is seen through a religious lens. The sub continent has been unfortunately been allowed to become hostage to religion. Both Hinduism and Islam have done a huge diservice to its followers. Women happen to fall into a category which has been side lined by both major religions practised in India and Pakistan.
My sincere request is to respect others as humans rather than as adherants of another religion.
Religion has always divided rather than to unite. Lets not use religion as a yardstick to measure up ourselves or others.

Back
Top Bottom