What's new

If we have $13 billion, can we spend $1 billion for our military?

One has to understand where and how $13 billion reserve Awami League regime accumulated from.

1) Awami League regime pursued contractionary monetary policy throughout 2012 starting from 2011, as result import of capital machinery drastically dropped.

2) As a result of drastic drop in import and capital machinery industrial growth has suffered heavy blow and GDP is suffering as a result.

3) Awami League regime in last few months bought $2 billion worth of foreign currency from open market to keep dollar value up. Because of decreasing demand of dollars (as a result of of decreasing import of capital machinery) value was nose diving.

$13 billion reserve is artificial and came at cost of industrial and GDP growth and jobs.Not to mention purchase of $2 billion from open market.

But offcourse there are native bunch like Gyp who are cheer leading and some even want $1 billion for arms purchase.

Import slump sends reserve to record $13b

Staff Correspondent

The country’s foreign exchange reserve on Monday crossed $13-billion mark for the first time due mainly to a slump in imports in the last few months, Bangladesh Bank’s dollar buying spree and increasing remittance inflow.

A BB official told New Age on Monday that the forex reserve had reached $13.05 billion on the day from $12.84 billion on Sunday.

Because of the contractionary monetary taken by the BB, the import growth in the first five months of FY 2012-13 fell heavily allowing the country to save foreign currency, said BB officials.

But, the country’s industrial sector has suffered heavily because of lower import of raw material and capital machinery, said economists.

BB data showed that the country’s import bill payment in July-November of FY 2012-13 had registered a negative growth of 13.25 per cent compared with of 60.82 per cent growth in the corresponding period of the last financial year. LC settlements in the first five months of FY 2012-13 were $13.34 billion against $15.37 billion in the corresponding period of the FY 2011-12.

Another BB official said the BB had purchased more than $2 billion from the local commercial banks to keep the value of the greenbacks strong against the taka for encouraging the expatriate Bangladeshis and exporters.

New Age | Newspaper

You should add India to it too...

Our foreign reserve well exceeds our external national debts, and not to mention $30 billions worth of Gold reserves of the government.

Either you're trolling or having trouble grasping the idea of foreign reserves.

Our foreign reserve well exceeds our external national debts, and not to mention $30 billions worth of Gold reserves of the government.

Either you're trolling or having trouble grasping the idea of foreign reserves.

Foreign reserve is not govt money. Its just a currency which central bank keeps as safe from depositor in lieu to Rupees.

You should rather see how many of your child malnourished or how many left unimmunised or how many defecate open.

Without a strong military power we wont get respect from other countres and this is proven truth:coffee:. I have seen in this forum many indians did not respect us-our military:blah:

We should buy defensive tools like- long or medium range Air and missile defence systems and some proven air fighters, what you say?

If Bangladesh have $13 billion in hand:yahoo: than can we spend $1 billion in our military tools?:what:

Sir, how far do you think $1BN will go in the international arms market? Yes it may provide a few knock-offs from China but if you are looking at the best tech out there $1BN will be swallowed up in an instant. Just look to Indian deals as an example- see what $1BN buys them!

Foreign reserve is not govt money. Its just a currency which central bank keeps as safe from depositor in lieu to Rupees.

You should rather see how many of your child malnourished or how many left unimmunised or how many defecate open.

So you're suggesting the RBI should distribute the foreign reserve and gold reserve to all the poor and underprivileged class?

Sir, how far do you think $1BN will go in the international arms market? Yes it may provide a few knock-offs from China but if you are looking at the best tech out there $1BN will be swallowed up in an instant. Just look to Indian deals as an example- see what $1BN buys them!

Well, 1bn cant make us stronger in wepons but, it can give us improved defence capibilites. Far better than now.

What exactly would you spend $1BN on wrt BD defence needs?

I am not a expert, using my little knowladge we should go for air and missile defence system and start building our own missile arsenal. 1BN even 13BN isnt sufficient for that but 1BN is great for start.

I am not a expert, using my little knowladge we should go for air and missile defence system and start building our own missile arsenal. 1BN even 13BN isnt sufficient for that but 1BN is great for start.

Like I said sir, $1BN USD will get swallowed up VERY quickly on the international market when looking at the latest tech- India for instance spent >$1.2 BN USD just on MICA missiles for their upgraded Mirages and in a speerate deal spent $1.5 BN USD for a mere 18 SPYDER SAM systems from Israel. If you want quantity you've got to go with China, but naturally the quality requirement will have to take a backseat if you go with them.

There was a guy by the name [MENTION=133844]Banglar Lathial in PDF (is banned here now, and now active in chini forums), he is strongly advocating acquisition of J-20 for BAF to counter India.

That guy really pisses me off bro! Can't stand him.

We should buy defensive tools like- long or medium range Air and missile defence systems and some proven air fighters, what you say?

Forget all these chota mota patakas. You should go for the big bomb. Use the $1 Billion dollars to buy some nukes. There are many offers in the market like " Ek nuke ke sath ek missile free". You should go for that offer. That is the only thing that will get any respect.

Forget all these chota mota patakas. You should go for the big bomb. Use the $1 Billion dollars to buy some nukes. There are many offers in the market like " Ek nuke ke sath ek missile free". You should go for that offer. That is the only thing that will get any respect.

More than ek nuke and ek missile are already there in China/Pak's arsenal to serve China/Pak/BD/SL common purpose. ;p All BD needs to do is facilitate Chinese military presence in South Asia to establish lasting peace and stability in the neighborhood.

More than ek nuke and ek missile are already there in China/Pak's arsenal to serve China/Pak/BD/SL common purpose. ;p All BD needs to do is facilitate Chinese military presence in South Asia to establish lasting peace and stability in the neighborhood.

You guys will never learn from History will you. Here let me put this in words. You can quote me on this.
"If you depend on someone else for your security sooner or later that very guy will end up screwing you"
Yes just like Pakistanis screwed you before 1971 and we are doing it since then. In future, from your post, it seems you want to be screwed by China.

I am one of the well wisher of Bangladesh on this forum and thats why I said you should get nukes. That will only save you. And you come up with this reply and that too in blue font :what:

Back
Top Bottom