What's new

If the F/A 18 Super Hornet Wins the MMRCA

I don't remember when or where, I read in some post of DBC that that much ability (or required codes) are provided, such that programming required for the mission can be done.

BLUEMAX (Mission-Threat Analysis) and RADGUNS is part of a comprehensive mission planning suite that mission planners use to predict and model possible outcomes of aerial action including the likelihood of combat losses. The suite consists of other module like AIRADE - Airborne Radar Detection Model, BRL-CAD & FASTGEN, COVART, AJEM and more.

BLUEMAX is used to construct detailed flight paths for fixed-wing aircraft. The model is also useful as a standalone tool for determining aircraft performance characteristics. In addition, the model has the capability to utilize National Geospatial–Intelligence Agency (NGA) Digital Terrain Elevation Data (DTED) to construct terrain following/terrain avoidance flight paths and determine line of sight information for a user-defined set of ground threats. This provides the user the capability to perform exposure studies and quick survivability estimates, as well as mission planning.
Bluemax.jpg

RADGUN
radguns.jpg

RADGUNS is used to evaluate the effectiveness of Air Defense Artillery (ADA) gun systems against penetrating aerial targets. It is also used to evaluate the effectiveness of different airborne target characteristics (radar cross section (RCS), maneuvers, use of electronic countermeasures, etc.) against a specific ADA system. RADGUNS is a complete one-on-one simulation including weapon system, operators, target model (RCS and presented/vulnerableareas), flight profiles, environment (clutter and multipath), electronic attack, and endgame. RADGUNS can assess many aspects of a weapon system’s performance including target detection, tracking performance, probability of hit (Ph), probability of kill (Pk), expected number of hits, and the effects of jamming. ADA weapon systems are typically modeled at either the subsystem or circuit level consisting of acquisition and track radar and/or optical systems, a set of rapid fire anti-aircraft guns, a fire control computer (FCC) and servo system to aim the guns, and a crew to operate the system.

BLUEMAX (Mission-Threat Analysis) and RADGUNS is part of a comprehensive mission planning suite that mission planners use to predict and model possible outcomes of aerial action including the likelihood of combat losses. The suite consists of other module like AIRADE - Airborne Radar Detection Model, BRL-CAD & FASTGEN, COVART, AJEM and more.

BLUEMAX is used to construct detailed flight paths for fixed-wing aircraft. The model is also useful as a standalone tool for determining aircraft performance characteristics. In addition, the model has the capability to utilize National Geospatial–Intelligence Agency (NGA) Digital Terrain Elevation Data (DTED) to construct terrain following/terrain avoidance flight paths and determine line of sight information for a user-defined set of ground threats. This provides the user the capability to perform exposure studies and quick survivability estimates, as well as mission planning.
Bluemax.jpg

RADGUN
radguns.jpg

RADGUNS is used to evaluate the effectiveness of Air Defense Artillery (ADA) gun systems against penetrating aerial targets. It is also used to evaluate the effectiveness of different airborne target characteristics (radar cross section (RCS), maneuvers, use of electronic countermeasures, etc.) against a specific ADA system. RADGUNS is a complete one-on-one simulation including weapon system, operators, target model (RCS and presented/vulnerableareas), flight profiles, environment (clutter and multipath), electronic attack, and endgame. RADGUNS can assess many aspects of a weapon system’s performance including target detection, tracking performance, probability of hit (Ph), probability of kill (Pk), expected number of hits, and the effects of jamming. ADA weapon systems are typically modeled at either the subsystem or circuit level consisting of acquisition and track radar and/or optical systems, a set of rapid fire anti-aircraft guns, a fire control computer (FCC) and servo system to aim the guns, and a crew to operate the system.
All this is fine.

Now please tell me if IAF doesnt get the source codes like they are saying, what options do we have.

All this is fine.

Now please tell me if IAF doesnt get the source codes like they are saying, what options do we have.

Say ta ta bye bye to F18 :D... hey btw AESA TOT is mandatory... i assume that we have the technology already.. dont we? some body throw some light please

Say ta ta bye bye to F18 :D... hey btw AESA TOT is mandatory... i assume that we have the technology already.. dont we? some body throw some light please
we have tech for AESA, however miniaturizing AESA is something we have to do.

All this is fine.

Source code may be needed for weapons integration, I can't think of any other reason for requiring source codes for our radar. By weapons integration I mean the ability to launch/guide/ data link to Russian or French missiles/bombs in IAF inventory.This task is complex enough to require participation by vendor so I don't really see the value in having radar source codes.

Mission data such as way points, refuel vector and target coordinates are uploaded directly to the aircrafts mission computer you don't need radar source code for any of this...

yes..:wave: enjoy your Euro canard...:lol:

we have tech for AESA, however miniaturizing AESA is something we have to do.

so what is the TOT on source code needed for? i think if we buy Fteens even if we get the source code we cant change it as US will bar that feature...

Last edited:
Thank you.. hoping your words become true :D

sorry MMRCA winner will be American... IAF wants an aircraft for combat they have enough hangar queens :hang2: I don't think they can afford more..:lol:

Source code may be needed for weapons integration, I can't think of any other reason for requiring source codes for our radar. By weapons integration I mean the ability to launch/guide/ data link to Russian or French missiles/bombs in IAF inventory.This task is complex enough to require participation by vendor so I don't really see the value in having radar source codes.

Mission data such as way points, refuel vector and target coordinates are uploaded directly to the aircrafts mission computer you don't need radar source code for any of this...

Sorry for butting in but couldn't resist, let me tell u first i am just a fanboy without any technical info so bear with me.

From ur post i get it that we cannot use our Russian weapons on yours so does this mean that we will be using all kind of weapons like to bombs AOA missiles etc of yours only???

Does this also mean that if tomorrow we get a air launched Brahmos we cannot fire it from F/A - 18 plane???

I also cannot believe that we have to configure radar by changing source code after every mission or when plane moves a location. This idea sounds rediculous.

Sorry for butting in but couldn't resist, let me tell u first i am just a fanboy without any technical info so bear with me.

From ur post i get it that we cannot use our Russian weapons on yours so does this mean that we will be using all kind of weapons like to bombs AOA missiles etc of yours only???

Does this also mean that if tomorrow we get a air launched Brahmos we cannot fire it from F/A - 18 plane???

That is correct, you can only use weapons that have been integrated.
Yes you are limited to American and some Israeli / European weapons.

sorry MMRCA winner will be American... IAF wants an aircraft for combat they have enough hangar queens :hang2: I don't think they can afford more..:lol:

hey you calling MKI hangar queen? .. it is a formidable aircraft which keeps our adversaries out of context... and it will be the front line beast in our Force until PAK FA comes in... MMRCA will be complimenting them or they will have there own doctrine latter.. but no way it is going to take the place of MKI...

On lighter note... Fteens are not only made for combat .. so are others..We are happy for F18 E/F ... but your Mr. president is like Mr.Nixon and we dont know how many Mr.Nixon are going to be your president so is our worry...

hey you calling MKI hangar queen?

I think DBC was referring to the MiG-27s and the old pre-Darin-II jaguars, the aircraft MMRCA is supposed to replace.

Btw, air-launched Brahmos already has a platform, Su-30MKI. Btw, doesnt the MMRCA tender also specify that the aircraft should be able to integrate any weapons that IAF has/will have in its inventory.

That is correct, you can only use weapons that have been integrated.
Yes you are limited to American and some Israeli / European weapons.

Can i go further and ask u another question?? In many threads people have been talking about super hornet as a very good A2g plane, what do u think about its a2a capabilities?? where does it stand next to su-30 mki we got.

I know that we don't have a aesa radar (though i don't know a **** about what a pesa is even)but i hear su-30 is a very good plane. So can u please give ur opinion on this.

Back
Top Bottom