What's new

ICA orders India to stop work on Kishan Ganga Dam

may be lowest than toi..pakileaks:lol:

oh naa Sir jee... Times of India se lower koi newspaper ho hi nahi sakta

But its not a subject of this thread so lets get back to topic now

lol do you think Pakistani media is crappy like Times of India? naa itne buray nahi hain hum

Aap itne bur nahi hai we are agreed with that cause after Pakistanleaks you set new standard for that :lol:

lol do you think Pakistani media is crappy like Times of India? naa itne buray nahi hain hum

as far as TOI nobody takes them seriously because they tend to sensationalize the news. If somebody is quoting a TOI news, just take it with a grain of salt. I would definitely maintain a degree of skepticism about its truth. As far as Pakistani media is concerned ....maybe less said the better.

But looks like you are willing to take the news of DAWN which is 6 days old and not the one which is added on their website just an hour ago. What a pathetic example of cherry picking.

Kishanganga Dam project stopped by ICA

By the way ET is not a "crappy sensationalist blog".

Court of Arbitration halts construction of Kishanganga dam

Its not incumbent on me to find the credible source for the article..rather the job of the OP.

Anyway regardless of this tamasha the dam work will go on as GoI has invested too much an will not let it go waste to Pak's paranoia.

Its not incumbent on me to find the credible source for the article..rather the job of the OP.

I have given the "credible" source dawn in my post. Wake up please.

Anyway regardless of this tamasha the dam work will go on as GoI has invested too much an will not let it go waste to Pak's paranoia.

:lol:

An Indian source along with GOI response to this order is to be awaited. Lets see how this unfolds.

ICA stops India from building Kishanganga Dam

9-24-2011_86673_l.jpg

Updated at: 2256 PST, Saturday, September 24, 2011
ISLAMABAD: The International Court of Arbitration (ICA) Saturday issued an interim order, stopping India from going ahead with the controversial project of Kishanganga Dam, Geo News reported.

Under the ICA order, India will not construct a permanent structure over River Neelum or at the site of Kishanganga, according to a statement issued by Presidential Spokesman of Pakistan.

India will not go ahead with building a structure that may affect the flow of water stream, the spokesman said.

He further said that Pakistan had sought from India an undertaking for construction in the light of international law which the latter had rejected. This led Pakistan to go to ICA which has now issued the interim order on the issue.

Our government is very sensitive about your water needs and have not prevented the flow of water by building the dams. That shows the maturity of our govt. But if you guys keep at it (what you guy have been doing for past 63 years) i am afraid that goodwill will not last. We have been keeping the sanctity of the IWT that was signed in 60's. The accord has survived 3 wars. But you guy have been throwing one accusation after another without any merit. Trust me you guys are wasting your money and time. Mark my words, this litigation will cost you at least 10 million dollars which you guys can least afford. Considering your precarious reserves, do you guys think this is a wise move.

Synopsis of IWT:

The Indus is a strategically vital resource for Pakistan's economy and society. After the independence of India and Pakistan in 1947, the use of the waters of the Indus and its five eastern tributaries became a major dispute between India and Pakistan. The irrigation canals of the Sutlej valley and the Bari Doab were split - with the canals lying primarily in Pakistan and the head work dams in India disrupting supply in some parts of Pakistan. The concern over India building large dams over various Punjab rivers that could undercut the supply flowing to Pakistan, as well as the possibility that India could divert rivers in the time of war, caused political consternation in Pakistan. Holding diplomatic talks brokered by the World Bank, India and Pakistan signed the Indus Waters Treaty in 1960. The treaty gave India control of the three easternmost rivers of the Punjab, the Sutlej, the Beas and the Ravi, while Pakistan gained control of the three western rivers, the Jhelum, the Chenab and the Indus. India retained the right to use of the western rivers for non irrigation projects. (See discussion regarding a recent dispute about a hydroelectric project on the Chenab (not Indus) known as the Baglihar Project).

Recently, India's construction of dams on the river in violation of the Indus Waters Treaty, reducing water flow into Pakistan has caused Pakistan to take the issue to the international courts for arbitration. This has further strained relations between the two countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_River

I think both Pakistan and India are going to claim victory and the public are going to celebrate for nothing

1. From the article it seems India cannot build any permanent structure which obstructs the flow the water but if I am right they are anyway not allowed to under the Treaty.

2. Article is silent about staying of building structures which do not impede the flow of water on the terms of Baghliar Dam.

The article stinks I must say. All said and done end of the day India will always hold the key to Indus River Treaty as Pakistan will hold the key to Kashmir Valley.

Regards

I have given the "credible" source dawn in my post. Wake up please.

:lol:

Let me wait for the official ICA updation. Till then hold your fireworks ;)

But then as I said these does not count. India will again go on appeal and this process will go on till we finish the dam :lol:

Court of Arbitration halts construction of Kishanganga dam

GENEVA: The International Court of Arbitration has directed India to stop construction of Kishanganga Hydropower Project which it says is in violation of the 1960 Indus Water Treaty.

The Pakistan government had sought the intervention of International Court of Arbitration as it was facing acute shortage of water to meet its energy and irrigation needs.

In 1960, Pakistan and India hammered out the Indus Water Treaty which governs the sharing of water on rivers heading downstream from India to Pakistan.

The decision to move to International Court of Arbitration is a belated effort to protect Pakistan’s water interests and now there should be no more delay.

India had been racing to complete the 330Mega Watt Kishanganga project which would have diverted the River Neelam to Wullar Lake, leaving very little water for the Pakistani project, which is a mere 70 kilometres downstream from Kishanganga thus reducing the power generation capacity of the 969 MW Neelum-Jhelum plant by about 11 per cent.

Governments in Pakistan neglected construction of hydropower projects by India on rivers where the treaty gives exclusive rights to Pakistan and today the country is facing acute shortage of water to meet its energy and irrigation needs.

Earlier this year, Pakistan engaged in extensive, though inconclusive talks regarding the Wullar barrage.

On May 17, 2010, the Pakistan had instituted arbitral proceedings against the India under the Indus Waters Treaty 1960. A Court of Arbitration composed of seven members has been constituted pursue the case.

Court of Arbitration halts construction of Kishanganga dam – The Express Tribune

Wernt we supposed to loose this case last time I checked this forum?

No independent confirmation of this report. We would rather wait for some other source and GOI response to this order

Back
Top Bottom