SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
IAF will buy 14 Tejas squadrons, lowering costs
February 11, 2014

HAL_Tejas.jpg

India’s own fighter, the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), is playing a growing role in protecting Indian airspace. On December 20, when the Tejas was cleared for operational service in the Indian Air Force (IAF), Defence Minister A K Antony declared 200 Tejas fighters would eventually enter combat service. Today, that figure quietly swelled to well above 300, with the government indicating the IAF would have at least 14 Tejas squadrons.

Each IAF combat squadron has 21 fighter aircraft; 14 squadrons add to 294 Tejas fighters. The 21 comprise 16 frontline, single-seat fighters, two twin-seat trainers and three reserve aircraft to make up losses in a war.

In a written statement tabled in the Lok Sabha on Monday, Antony’s deputy, Jitendra Singh, stated, “The MiG-21 andMiG-27 aircrafts of the IAF have already been upgraded and currently equip 14 combat squadrons. These aircraft, however, are planned for being phased out over the next few years and will be replaced by the LCA.”

So far, the IAF has committed to inducting only six Tejas squadrons — two squadrons of the current Tejas Mark I, and four squadrons of the improved Tejas Mark II. In addition, the navy plans to buy 40-50 Tejas for its future aircraft carriers.

Since the programme began in 1985, about Rs 7,000 crore have been spent on the Tejas Mark I, which obtained Initial Operational Clearance in December, allowing regular IAF pilots to fly it. By the end of this year, when it obtains Final Operational Clearance, it would have consumed a Budget of Rs 7,965 crore.

An additional Rs 2,432 crore has been allocated for the Tejas Mark II, which takes the total development cost of the IAF variant to Rs 10,397 crore.

Separately, Rs 3,650 crore were sanctioned for developing the naval Tejas, which is ongoing. That means the Aeronautical Development Agency will spend Rs 14,047 crore on the entire Tejas programme, including the IAF, naval and trainer variants.

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, which manufactures the Tejas, has quoted Rs 162 crore a fighter as its latest price.

Amortising the entire development cost on the envisioned 344 fighters (IAF: 294; Navy: 50), the Tejas would cost Rs 209 crore ($33.5 million) per fighter.

In comparison, the IAF’s Mirage 2000 fighters, bought in the 1980s, are currently being upgraded for $45 million per aircraft.

IAF pilots that test-fly the Tejas Mark I find it qualitatively superior to the Mirage 2000.

The heavier Sukhoi-30MKI costs more than Rs 400 crore ($65 million) each. And the Rafale, which is currently being negotiated with Dassault, is pegged at Rs 750-850 crore ($120-140 million) per fighter.

Aerospace expert and historian, Pushpindar Singh, points out that ordering more Tejas would bring down the price further, making it enormously attractive for air forces across the world that are replacing some 3,500 MiG-21, Mirage-III, early model F-16 and F-5 fighters that are completing their service lives.

“With these air forces facing severe budget pressures, the Tejas has only one rival in this market — the JF-17 Thunder, being built by China in partnership with Pakistan. They are marketing the JF-17 aggressively in every global air show, but India is completely ignoring the Tejas’ potential,” said Singh

IAF will buy 14 Tejas squadrons, lowering costs | Business Standard

“With these air forces facing severe budget pressures, the Tejas has only one rival in this market — the JF-17 Thunder, being built by China in partnership with Pakistan. They are marketing the JF-17 aggressively in every global air show, but India is completely ignoring the Tejas’ potential,” said Singh
Arre bhai, Tejas ko pehle produce tho karo, phir export ki socho.

JF-17 is in squadron service since quite some time, so they would naturally have a lead in exporting the aircraft. However, though countries have expressed interest in the aircraft, no JF -17s have been sold by Pakistan so far.

Another potential blow to Rafale's procurement... but this at the same time sounds something loud and clear.. IAF is finding Tejas good enough! In every sense.. good for India. India could procure 3-5 Tejas instead of one Rafale.

Another potential blow to Rafale's procurement... but this at the same time sounds something loud and clear.. IAF is finding Tejas good enough! In every sense.. good for India. India could procure 3-5 Tejas instead of one Rafale.
If you missed then same Antony said that Rafale deal will definitely be materialised but in next fiscal(starting from 1st April) so I don't find how Tejas can take Rafale's role? Both are different class fighters with different role and getting 1000 Tejas and no Rafale will add nothing in our capabilities other than numbers but a mix of both will add alot in numbers as well as capabilities.

ut a mix of both will add alot.
If you missed then same Antony said that Rafale deal will definitely be materialised but in next fiscal(starting from 1st April) so I don't find how Tejas can take Rafale's role? Both are different class fighters with different role and getting 1000 Tejas and no Rafale will add nothing in our capabilities other than numbers but a mix of both will add alot in numbers as well as capabilities.

Mate, no offense but I find Rafale's chances are going down everyday and this development has affected possibility of Rafale negatively. Talkign of next Indian Government, it will be weaker because of split mandate and inherit a weaker economy than it has now.. in such situation would $20 Billions purchase have more chances or less? Nevertheless you can happily keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Mate, no offense but I find Rafale's chances are going down everyday and this development has affected Rafale negatively than not. Talking of next Indian Government, it will be weaker Government because of split mandate and inheriting a weaker economy than it has now.. in such situation would $20 Billions purchase have more chances or less? Nevertheless you can happily keep your fingers crossed.
No offense taken mate. Its very unlikey that India would go for 300 Tejas(though I will love if it go) because it will take 15 years to produce if not more and we have plan for FGFA and AMCA too in future so it makes no sense. Regarding Rafale deal as Antony has mentioned himself just 2 days back that India has spent 92% capital defence revenue allotted in this fiscal(1.5 months left to this fiscal to be over) so no big deals and it makes perfect snese. But we have to consider that current govt. Slashed defence capital revenue by 14000 cr ruppes this fiscal because of other populist schemes(food bill, MNREGA etc) which BJP govt(upcoming govt) will definitely halt as they are openly against it so no problem in increasing defence budget next year considering our worst is over as recently our economy is doing better with every quarter passing and expected to grow well over 5% now.

Mate, no offense but I find Rafale's chances are going down everyday and this development has affected Rafale negatively than not. Talking of next Indian Government, it will be weaker Government because of split mandate and inheriting a weaker economy than it has now.. in such situation would $20 Billions purchase have more chances or less? Nevertheless you can happily keep your fingers crossed.

Seriously.... i,d rather prefer India spend $20 billion in domestic industry then the Europeans .. I,d be far happier seeing Tejas flying than Rafael flying about ... These are the same people who completely abandoned the Tejas project back in 1999 when French were helping in the project , they even did not allow the Indian scitists toget the research documents , whole thing had to be remade from ground up...

294 fighters is a massive.....

$33million for Tejas mk2 considering Mk1 is better than Mirage 2000
and $120- $140million for Rafael.....cmon ...:o:

Seriously.... i,d rather prefer India spend $20 billion in domestic industry then the Europeans .. I,d be far happier seeing Tejas flying than Rafael flying about ... These are the same people who completely abandoned the Tejas project back in 1999 when French were helping in the project , they even did not allow the Indian scitists toget the research documents , whole thing had to be remade from ground up...

294 fighters is a massive.....

$33million for Tejas mk2 considering Mk1 is better than Mirage 2000
and $120- $140million for Rafael.....cmon ...:o:
Thats true but we seriously need to improve our multirole and ground attack capability. Suppose we get 500 Tejas instead of 126 Rafales but will they perform and take same role as Rafale in any offense? We need both at the same time and thats all I am saying.

Seems like this way
If we compare the prices, then for the price of 126 Rafale, IAF can induct 450 Tejas
I am not Saying that we should induct that many Tejas, but I do believe that present order for 40 MK1, 83 MK2 and 46 Tejas N are not enough, when we look at price and performance ratio
Granted the Rafale is far more capable, but will it be more capable than 3-4 Tejas flying in formation

In my opinion, while I dont expect Navy to order more than 46 Tejas N , but IAF can definitely order more,

What I would like to see is IAF reduce the order for Rafales from 126 Fighters to 84 comprising 72 Single Seat and 12 Twin Seat, This will Bring down the Price of Rafale Deal by 5 Billion USD
IAF can use that money to order another 40 Tejas MK2 and Fund and induct another 60 MK3

We all Know that MK3 is going to be under work, even if as an MLU option if the Tejas is to remain in service beyond 2040

Mate, no offense but I find Rafale's chances are going down everyday and this development has affected possibility of Rafale negatively. Talkign of next Indian Government, it will be weaker because of split mandate and inherit a weaker economy than it has now.. in such situation would $20 Billions purchase have more chances or less? Nevertheless you can happily keep your fingers crossed.
Believe what you want- you'll be proved wrong :D

Tejas at 33 milion $s is great even if we add AESA Radar and Gan based EW suite and a better engine (hope fully with 2D TVC) and jack up the price to 40 million $s its gonna be a kicka$$ fighter and even then we have 3 LCAs for a single Rafale

best IAF should go is 60 french made Rafales & rest made in india under TOT(making french happier)

and 300+ LCAs

and buy a couple of squads of su - 30 MKI (with ASEA & new engines) while going for super sukoi uprd for the rest

i guess thats more than enof till the FGFA and AMCA come in the next decade

Back
Top Bottom