What's new

IAF to buy 14 Tejas squadrons

Considering that the first Rafale will not arrive until 2017(if the contract is signed this year).. and that the FGFA is delayed in the words of Indian Def Min..it seems that Tejas is being touted as the alternative to fill the numbers gap.
FGFA will begin coming in 2020, Rafales in 2017, MKIs are already being inducted and MIG-27/21s will be gone by 2019. The LCAs will soften the below to an extent but I don't see anything changing policy wise I always believed the figure would be around 250-300. I don't see this meaning the LCA is a stop-gap measure for X or Y, just what was expected.

FGFA will begin coming in 2020, Rafales in 2017, MKIs are already being inducted and MIG-27/21s will be gone by 2019. The LCAs will soften the below to an extent but I don't see anything changing policy wise I always believed the figure would be around 250-300. I don't see this meaning the LCA is a stop-gap measure for X or Y, just what was expected.
Well, not with the delays as announced recently.

Actually, Tejas development started in 1984, not 1985.
Condiering the funding for the project wasn't realised until 1993/4 that's irrelevant.

Well, not with the delays as announced recently.
Well Antony didn't say by how much the FGFA had been delayed. The original timeline was 2018/19 for operational service with IAF so 2020/21 is still feasible even with delays.

Filled with a nice heap of bias and Rafale bashing ;)

And that although he recently supported the Rafale procurement in a report too, seems like he can't decide what to report, but hey, who cares when you have a blog and access to the media you can claim anything.

Condiering the funding for the project wasn't realised until 1993/4 that's irrelevant.

Well Antony didn't say by how much the FGFA had been delayed. The original timeline was 2018/19 for operational service with IAF so 2020/21 is still feasible even with delays.

With the IAF's recent complaints about the jet, I think refinements and requirements tuning will take longer. but essentially, the FGFA is not the need for the hour and the Rafale was. The Aging migs are less and less fit for service and putting the lives of IAF pilots at needless risk. However, the Tejas too is to have only six squadrons up and running by 2022... It seems a close call to meet 42 sq by 2025.

With the IAF's recent complaints about the jet,.
Really sir? You are going by those reports (by this same shoddy journo) that were never confirmed by the Indian MoD or IAF and the Russians flat out refuted.

IAF needs at least 300 Tejas to counter 300 JF-17 from PAF. FGFA goes up against J-31. Rafale goes up against J-10B.

IAF needs at least 300 Tejas to counter 300 JF-17 from PAF. FGFA goes up against J-31. Rafale goes up against J-10B.
NO WAY the PAF is getting 300 JF-17s firstly- ask any respected Pakistani member. PAF won't get the J-10B and don't make me laugh about the J-31.

I'm getting rather tired of you mate.

It seems a close call to meet 42 sq by 2025.

15 x Su 30 MKI squadrons
3 x Mig 29 UPG squadrons
3 x Mirage 2000 UPG squadrons
6 x Jaguar UPG squadrons
6 x LCA squadrons
7 x MMRCA squadrons
=> 40 squadrons

Not included FGFA (don't want to speculate about the inducted numbers), possible Bisons or the 2 upgraded Mig 27 squadrons that might be kept in 2nd line, or the optional MMRCAs / LCAs that could be added till 2025 too, since the current orders are aimed to be fulfilled by 2022 for both. So all the hype on falling squadron numbers is by far not that big of an issue as the media makes it.

NO WAY the PAF is getting 300 JF-17s firstly- ask any respected Pakistani member. PAF won't get the J-10B and don't make me laugh about the J-31.

I'm getting rather tired of you mate.
Well, the 300 JF-17s arent that much an impossibility as is the J-10B.. that aircraft is NOT coming.

Well, that article in the Business Standard did link with this. Russians refute does not mean the IAF's refute of it.
IAF chief plans more C-17s, admits FGFA delays - IHS Jane's 360

And did you saw any of the claims for technical issues of the FGFA? The article only shows that the project is delayed and as the defence minister confirmed as well, because workshare and financial issues. The whole BS that Ajay Shukla claimed is not proven by a single official IAF or MoD statement and the Russians did the right thing by refueting the silly claims of somebody that can't be taken seriously.

Well, that article in the Business Standard did link with this. Russians refute does not mean the IAF's refute of it.
IAF chief plans more C-17s, admits FGFA delays - IHS Jane's 360

C-17 are a waste. That plane is too expensive and IAF does not need transporters. FGFA is definitely needed to counter PLAAF J-20. Su-30MKI might be able to take on PLAAF J-10B.

Well, the 300 JF-17s arent that much an impossibility as is the J-10B.. that aircraft is NOT coming.

Agreed. Taiwan has a puny 20 million population and it operates 120 F-16, 130 F-CK-1, 60 Mirage 2000. Pakistan has a population of over 180 million, sure can operate 300 JF-17. :p:

C-17 are a waste. That plane is too expensive and IAF does not need transporters. FGFA is definitely needed to counter PLAAF J-20. Su-30MKI might be able to take on PLAAF J-10B.
Hehe...''might be able to''?

Agreed. Taiwan has a puny 20 million population and it operates 120 F-16, 130 F-CK-1, 60 Mirage 2000. Pakistan has a population of over 180 million, sure can operate 300 JF-17. :p:
Haven't you been told enough times in the threads you opened over the past two days that population and number of fighters are not necessarily proportional? Taiwan's GDP is twice that of Pakistan's.

How long does PAF intend to keep operatin F-16s, and wouldn't they need a medium category fighter to replace it? Is there a possibility of getting more F-16s than currently ordered? How old are the oldest F-16s in PAF?

Haven't you been told enough times in the threads you opened over the past two days that population and number of fighters are not necessarily proportional? Taiwan's GDP is twice that of Pakistan's.

GDP depends on how much money government decides to print. Per capita GDP of India or Pakistan can be as high as that of Taiwan if the governments of India and Pakistan decide so. :p:

How long does PAF intend to keep operatin F-16s, and wouldn't they need a medium category fighter to replace it? Is there a possibility of getting more F-16s than currently ordered? How old are the oldest F-16s in PAF?

Best possibility in the foreseeable future is J-31 to replace F-16. Pakistan got its first F-16 fleet only a few years after the USAAF got its first F-16 fleet. F-16 is extremely expensive, will likely not get any more new ones.

Hehe...''might be able to''?

Su-30MKI is an old design. J-10B is a new design. P-51 killed Me 109 because it was a much newer plane. :p:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom