What's new

IAF to acquire 24 second-hand Mirages from France

Jf 17 block 1 and 2 do not fly by wire, so?

You are not even confident of flying it in peace time. Just forget about using in a battle.

How do you know? If you don't have then search little bit..

Yes. Your Tejas are hiding deep down in South India. That says it all.

So none of them are for active service and will come in containers, all of them are for spares.

but wait i thought they already had answer to our force multiplier i.e. JF-17 in form of LCA?

Jf 17 block 1 and 2 do not fly by wire, so?

You are not even confident of flying it in peace time. Just forget about using in a battle.

How do you know? If you don't have then search little bit..
Block 1/2 have a hybrid fly by wire system, in pitch it has but in yaw it don't

YOu people start trolling then invite for trolling, then why are you trolling?

The only reality is that JF 17 block 1 and 2, not superior to HAL Tejas Mk1 (FOC standard) by technicaLLY.

future coming aircrafts JF 17 block3 is also not looking better than HAL Tejas MK1a by technically.

oNLY flying hours is matter most than North Korea MIG 17 should able to beat F 35,, during the war if happens.

Do u really know what is in JFT ?? If JFT was that bad then your upgraded M2Ks would not have ran away from fight on 27.02.2019.
As I said, during the short period of the incident.. PAF planned and executed better way than compared to poorly managed by IAF in 27 FEB.

PAF planes were in better numbers with back by Awacs Aircarfts and ESM, ECM Aircrafts..... Otherside, IAF was in shock mode with fewer aircraft in the air and also, AA missiles with range issues.... no planning to deal with such a situation.

Honestly, I take it as positive because it forced IAF to go for better range AA missiles (now added to IAF) and replace insecure communication from Mig 21. also, go for more Awacs Aircarfts..

Honestly, Indians only feel big threat from F16 with AIM-120 AMRAAM......... .... anyday, IAF will happy to deal with JF 17 rather than F 16 with AIM-120 AMRAAM

If IAF was in shock mood after 26.02.2019 then the top brass of IAF should have been sacked or you are lying.

Tejas has been such a delayed and disastrous project taking so much time that India is forced into these purchases

These aircrafts are meant as to be used as spares
Only 4-6 aircrafts will be upgraded to Mirage 2000 V5 standards , to be used in combat
Since we had signed an upgrade deal for 51 mirages and we have 47 in service
Rest will be canabalised to maintain the fleet

With Mirage 2000, F-16 in a one turn fight is a lost cause. BVR is not a different thing all together as French have excellent BVR missiles.

The PAF not getting Mirage 2000's and instead sticking to 40 years older tech than the Mirage 2000 makes no sense. If my enemy gets a top light weapon and I have the option to get it too, I'd get it and would mix it up with others. Using Mirage 3 / 5 used is a terrible option knowing the airframes go back to late 1960's, early 70's.
Pakistani Mirages are not the same as 70's ones they are updated to modern standards inside and from outside well just say that as long as they are airworthy they are very useful especially in the northern theater.

Pakistani Mirages are not the same as 70's ones they are updated to modern standards inside and from outside well just say that as long as they are airworthy they are very useful especially in the northern theater.

The ROSE upgrade was done in the 90's. In other words, that was 1980's tech (a scope and night time attack capability that's now a standard in all 4th gen jets). So no, there is not much comparison against the Mirage 2000 (especially -5 batch). They provide numbers and attack capability to the PAF, which are important but not that important compared to acquiring F-16's, JFT or older Mirage 2000. Later are much better platform. When the time was right, Pakistan needed to get the Mirage 2000's. This is the same lack of foresight the one I witnessed in the 80's when the US was providing Hawkeye aircraft to Pakistan. But Pakistan refused to get that and kept asking for E-3 Sentry AWACS. For a nation like Pakistan, when you have an opportunity to get the latest tech, you don't have to stop the acquisition.

Back then, acquisition of the Hawkeye platform (6-8) and later upgraded to 2000 standard, would've done wonders for the PAF. Not to mention the cost of these systems was almost half below what it is now.

These aircrafts are meant as to be used as spares
Only 4-6 aircrafts will be upgraded to Mirage 2000 V5 standards , to be used in combat
Since we had signed an upgrade deal for 51 mirages and we have 47 in service
Rest will be canabalised to maintain the fleet

As per the report it says non will be returned to flying condition. Unsure how or even why you make up things

The ROSE upgrade was done in the 90's. In other words, that was 1980's tech (a scope and night time attack capability that's now a standard in all 4th gen jets). So no, there is not much comparison against the Mirage 2000 (especially -5 batch). They provide numbers and attack capability to the PAF, which are important but not that important compared to acquiring F-16's, JFT or older Mirage 2000. Later are much better platform. When the time was right, Pakistan needed to get the Mirage 2000's. This is the same lack of foresight the one I witnessed in the 80's when the US was providing Hawkeye aircraft to Pakistan. But Pakistan refused to get that and kept asking for E-3 Sentry AWACS. For a nation like Pakistan, when you have an opportunity to get the latest tech, you don't have to stop the acquisition.

Back then, acquisition of the Hawkeye platform (6-8) and later upgraded to 2000 standard, would've done wonders for the PAF. Not to mention the cost of these systems was almost half below what it is now.
Pakistani mirages fill their niche quite comfortably in PAF and essentially your whole premise is based on the assumption that we have not learned anything about building an aircraft and are totally reliant on the outside help for key components and just assembly work happens in Pakistan.

YOu people start trolling then invite for trolling, then why are you trolling?

The only reality is that JF 17 block 1 and 2, not superior to HAL Tejas Mk1 (FOC standard) by technicaLLY.

future coming aircrafts JF 17 block3 is also not looking better than HAL Tejas MK1a by technically.

oNLY flying hours is matter most than North Korea MIG 17 should able to beat F 35,, during the war if happens.
A good decision and I think a couple of decades late. I think IAF should have gone the whole hog for all the armie de aire M2K5s (58) in early 2000s instead of asking for upgrades. 3 billion or so would have given you ready made 3-4 squadrons of decent planes with spares for a couple of decades. Rafale could have come later on. Another billion could have resulted in taking over the assembly line lock stock and barrel. You could have delayed the Rafale order and the frogs would have bent over backwards to sell to you. Especially if this was made a condition for the sale. However, still a good and pragmatic decision.
As to Tejas let us see when you induct it instead of boasting about Mk X,Y or Z. It has been too long in the teeth so probably has lost its utility. But if a good enough version can be inducted in mid 20s it will still become a useful general utility fighter.
A

Last edited:
As per the report it says non will be returned to flying condition. Unsure how or even why you make up things
Your post made me reread the actual article. It seems the real crunch is the manufacturing of spares in India which was agreed but does not seem to have been executed( pure logic). Otherwise why buy older planes on grounds of procuring the 300 critical parts that are currently required to keep the fleet running. Scavanging seems to be the reason. However the gist seems to be that the parts manufacturing in India has fallen bye the bye which seems to be the main problem. As I said earlier still a pragmatic decision but a couple of decades too late if being used for increasing platform numbers. I agree that a lot more cannibalizing will take place which will translate into only a few platforms being brought back into active service.
A

Last edited:
Isn't producing parts in India one of the problems of the Indian Air Force? Bad spare parts quality and maintanance?

Back
Top Bottom