What's new

IAF to acquire 24 second-hand Mirages from France

I think at 1.1+ M Euros, it's a bargain and makes perfect sense. A Mirage 200-5 standard jet is head-on as capable (if not more) compared to a -16 block 52. Take a look at Greece vs. Turkey and how Greek Mirages constantly give Turkish -16's (block 40) a run for their money.

In fact, what's never made sense to me is that why Pakistan continues to buy Mirage3, V's, etc, when for a bit higher price, they could've acquired Mirage 2000's that a much more capable jet.
The mirage 2000 outperformed the turkish f16 in a wvr fight/dogfight. Delta wings will give them the edge in instantaneous turn. Not sustained. BVR its a lot different.

The PAF was considering the mirage 2000 but decided not to procure it. Reason behind that was india was buying it as well

The mirage 2000 outperformed the turkish f16 in a wvr fight/dogfight. Delta wings will give them the edge in instantaneous turn. Not sustained. BVR its a lot different.

The PAF was considering the mirage 2000 but decided not to procure it. Reason behind that was india was buying it as well

With Mirage 2000, F-16 in a one turn fight is a lost cause. BVR is not a different thing all together as French have excellent BVR missiles.

The PAF not getting Mirage 2000's and instead sticking to 40 years older tech than the Mirage 2000 makes no sense. If my enemy gets a top light weapon and I have the option to get it too, I'd get it and would mix it up with others. Using Mirage 3 / 5 used is a terrible option knowing the airframes go back to late 1960's, early 70's.

IAF knows their Tejas LCA is shit when India has to buy 24 used Mirage 2000

Guys Tejas Mk1 was never intended to replace Mirage 2000s.
Thanks for pointing it out. Will Rafale replace mirages in IAF?

I think at 1.1+ M Euros, it's a bargain and makes perfect sense. A Mirage 200-5 standard jet is head-on as capable (if not more) compared to a -16 block 52. Take a look at Greece vs. Turkey and how Greek Mirages constantly give Turkish -16's (block 40) a run for their money.

In fact, what's never made sense to me is that why Pakistan continues to buy Mirage3, V's, etc, when for a bit higher price, they could've acquired Mirage 2000's that a much more capable jet.
I agree that it is a capable aircraft and Pakistan did try to acquire it. There was a thread about it here.

Delusional Indians: Our Tejas LCA is the best
Indian military: We need to buy used Mirage 2000

Delusional Indians: Our Arjun tank is the best
Indian military: We need to buy more Russian T-90 tanks

Delusional Indians: Our Insas rifle is the best
Indian military: We need to buy Sig Sauer rifles

2nd hand mirages can be acquired for that purpose and i think half a squadron will be raised from these mirages.
What is the plan for adding tejas this year?

They raised a whole Sqn earlier with a single Teja.

That's true. Our pilots just love the Mirage 2000 and they will insist that it's a great fighter jet and especially for interceptions. Of course our F-16 pilots love their F-16s too,but Dassault has a history here since 1975 when we got the Mirage F1C. They flew it until the early 2000s and they loved it. They considered it as a great interceptor airplane and especially before the Turks got the F-16,it was probably the best aircraft in the Aegean.

The Mirage 2000-5 Mk.2 has great capabilities and you can see that in many videos. Even the videos the THK has released,have been disputed by some experts as propaganda or not serious dogfights because of the SIM indicator on the Turkish aircraft.
Look you know it,Dassault makes great aircraft. You have the Mirage III and V and the IAF has the Mirage 2000 and supposedly it's one of their most succesful aircraft and that says something. Although I think they mostly used it for bombing?

Tejas is a failure but they won't admit it. If it was so good as they had been bragging for 10 years,they wouldn't be buying Rafale and Mirage 2000 by the dozens. Just like with Arjun,they kept saying it's among the best tanks in the world and they ended up buying more T-90s.
The trick is not to interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake. Tejas/Arjun/Nag/INSAS/AKASH/DHRUV are all gifts that keep on giving.

Given the price that India is paying - they cannot be made airworthy again surely - they all feel like spare parts source and nothing else. If they were flight worthy or could be made combat capable again then the French would have charged a hell of a lot more.

Additionally, all of the IAF M2Ks are being upgraded to -5 standard - and these if they are made flight worthy - would need to be upgraded to the same standard otherwise they risk have a mixed fleet..

Prove it technically with the evidence, JF 17 block1? before saying fancy lines

JF-17 has DSI while Tejas does not.

You are not even confident of flying it in peace time. Just forget about using in a battle.

1631964134294.png

Smart move to get their hands on these. M2K spares are going to become a tough issue for India soon, as they did not make this plane in India, spares will need to be sourced from France, Qatar is retiring the plane as is Egypt leaving only Greece, Tawan, UAE and India as operators.

24 spares airframes relives a lot of spares issues no doubt, doubt any will be made flyable as that would introduce another fighter type into the IAF (these French bird being very different from the upgrades)

I also imagine this kills off any additional Rafale purchase Indians keep jumping up and down about. If they can quickly order more M2Ks from France they would have ordered more Rafales by now. Looks like budgets starting to bite.

JF-17 has DSI while Tejas does not.

You are not even confident of flying it in peace time. Just forget about using in a battle.

View attachment 778683

Jf 17 block 1 and 2 do not fly by wire, so?

How do you know? If you don't have then search little bit..

Back
Top Bottom