What's new

IAF MIG29SMT Superior to F16/52 Report

Key points for me

1. The MIG29SMT will include a new ZHUK AESA radar V the F16 APG68 which is MSA

2. The new engine RD33 will have fewer smoke trials and 50% more power thrust and range.

3. Will be redesigned centre line for bigger load and more fuel ( sort of like the f16/60 UPGRADE)

4. MIG29SMT will changed to a multi role fighter from a pure air combat plane.

I am facinated that the IAF about to receive 66 mig29smt by 2011 and PAF will have received or upgraded 62 f16/52 almost the same nos.

there are some basic differences though.....whereas the Mig-29 is going through a mid-life upgrade the block-52s that pakistan will recieve are brand new

the report may act as consolation for those who are grumpy about the fact that either F-16 or F-18 SH will win the MRCA competition

Key points for me

1. The MIG29SMT will include a new ZHUK AESA radar V the F16 APG68 which is MSA

2. The new engine RD33 will have fewer smoke trials and 50% more power thrust and range.

3. Will be redesigned centre line for bigger load and more fuel ( sort of like the f16/60 UPGRADE)

4. MIG29SMT will changed to a multi role fighter from a pure air combat plane.

I am facinated that the IAF about to receive 66 mig29smt by 2011 and PAF will have received or upgraded 62 f16/52 almost the same nos.

And almost all the upgraded Mig 29's will be along the Indo-Pak border :toast_sign:

WRONG AMUNTOP

PAF will receive 18 new F16/52s

The remaing 42 are upgrades of PAFs current 42 block 15s

Personally i have read alot about German MIG29 FIGHTERS inherited by the LUFTWAFFE flying against F16C/D in the 1990s. The germans being part of NATO trained hard against their East German planes and there has been some facinating articles.

In short the germans claimed that the older MIG29s though enjoyed more power thrust and rugged strength the F16s had better avionics and better canopy vision and ease of instrument use. The mig29 WAS ONLY available for 70% of the time due to high maintenance issues in particular engine problems.

How ever it sounds to me the new Mig29smt will include better engines better avionics and a multi role capability.

This will be a very close match up.

PAF F16/52 amraams is the best BVR missle but the SMT will boast the better radar ZUKH AESA... against the much older APG68 MSA

The F16/52 as superb handling vision and avionics but the SMT has twin engines more range/power..

WIL BE A GREAT MATCH UP/ BATTLE

Hello Boys, the MiG-29 SMT will get Zhuk-M its not an AESA
Zhuk-A is an AESA

Zhuk-M (Export Designation Zhuk-ME)

The N010M Zhuk-M is an advanced variant of the original N010 Zhuk radar introducing advanced air to surface functions like mapping and terrain following. The radar forms part of the MiG-29SMT upgrade, the Zhuk-ME finding success on export MiG-29 aircraft to countries like India. The radar features improved signal processing and has a detection range of up to 120 km vs a 5 m^2 RCS target for the export variant, and up to 10 targets tracked and up to 4 attacked at once in air to air mode. The tracking range is 0.83 - 0.85 of the detection range. In air to surface mode the radar can detect a tank from up to 25 km away and a bridge from 120 km away, a naval destroyer could be detected up to 300 km away and up to two surface targets can be tracked at once. The radar has a weight of 220 kg and a scanning area of +/- 85 degrees in azimuth and +56/-40 in elevation. The antenna is an electronically scanned slotted planar array and has a diameter of 624 mm

Zhuk-A

6a73b79737717894350677e6c3cf4e09.jpg

The latest incarnation of the Zhuk radar family featuring an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA). The radar uses 680 4 channel transceiver modules with a power output of 5 watts per channel. The radar is stated to provide a detection range of 130 km for a head on target with up to 30 targets tracked and 6 of those engaged at any one time. As an AESA the radar is liquid cooled, with each transceiver capable of being switched off to prevent damage from overheating and switched on again when cooled. Two variants of the Zhuk-A exist: the FGA-29, and the follow on FGA-35 which will boast an improved detection range of 200 km with 60 targets tracked, the radar will also support a maximum mapping resolution of 1*1m in air to surface mode. The FGA-35 will feature a 700mm antenna with an increased number of transmit and receive modules to between 1000-1,100, a 20 degree incline and a peak power of 6 kW

Hello Boys, the MiG-29 SMT will get Zhuk-M its not an AESA
Zhuk-A is an AESA

Zhuk-M (Export Designation Zhuk-ME)

The N010M Zhuk-M is an advanced variant of the original N010 Zhuk radar introducing advanced air to surface functions like mapping and terrain following. The radar forms part of the MiG-29SMT upgrade, the Zhuk-ME finding success on export MiG-29 aircraft to countries like India. The radar features improved signal processing and has a detection range of up to 120 km vs a 5 m^2 RCS target for the export variant, and up to 10 targets tracked and up to 4 attacked at once in air to air mode. The tracking range is 0.83 - 0.85 of the detection range. In air to surface mode the radar can detect a tank from up to 25 km away and a bridge from 120 km away, a naval destroyer could be detected up to 300 km away and up to two surface targets can be tracked at once. The radar has a weight of 220 kg and a scanning area of +/- 85 degrees in azimuth and +56/-40 in elevation. The antenna is an electronically scanned slotted planar array and has a diameter of 624 mm

Zhuk-A

6a73b79737717894350677e6c3cf4e09.jpg

The latest incarnation of the Zhuk radar family featuring an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA). The radar uses 680 4 channel transceiver modules with a power output of 5 watts per channel. The radar is stated to provide a detection range of 130 km for a head on target with up to 30 targets tracked and 6 of those engaged at any one time. As an AESA the radar is liquid cooled, with each transceiver capable of being switched off to prevent damage from overheating and switched on again when cooled. Two variants of the Zhuk-A exist: the FGA-29, and the follow on FGA-35 which will boast an improved detection range of 200 km with 60 targets tracked, the radar will also support a maximum mapping resolution of 1*1m in air to surface mode. The FGA-35 will feature a 700mm antenna with an increased number of transmit and receive modules to between 1000-1,100, a 20 degree incline and a peak power of 6 kW

Yes you are right. The radar on MIG-29SMT is Zhuk-ME which does not feature AESA whereas Zhuk-A does. But the photo you posted under Zhuk-A(Zhuk-AE)is actually of Zhuk-ME. Zhuk-A is----

2cab1cb2396881ba5080f05ef1b96b50.jpg

Zhuk-M vs AN/APG-68

In this post i will try to compare both radars .

First: Zhuk-m.

The N010M Zhuk-M is an advanced variant of the original N010 Zhuk radar introducing advanced air to surface functions like mapping and terrain following. The radar forms part of the MiG-29SMT upgrade, the Zhuk-ME finding success on export MiG-29 aircraft to countries like India. The radar features improved signal processing and has a detection range of up to 120 km vs a 5 m2 RCS target for the export variant, and up to 10 targets tracked and up to 4 attacked at once in air to air mode [5]. The tracking range is 0.83 - 0.85 of the detection range. In air to surface mode the radar can detect a tank from up to 25 km away and a bridge from 120 km away, a naval destroyer could be detected up to 300 km away and up to two surface targets can be tracked at once. The radar has a weight of 220 kg and a scanning area of +/- 85 degrees in azimuth and +56/-40 in elevation. The antenna is an electronically scanned slotted planar array and has a diameter of 624 mm

.............................vs............................................

AN/APG-68 F-16 Block 50/52+.

Introduction:

The AN/APG-68 radar is a long range 300 km Pulse-doppler radar designed by Westinghouse (now Northrop Grumman) to replace AN/APG-66 radar in the F-16 Fighting Falcon. The AN/APG-68 radar system consists of the following line-replaceable units:

Antenna
Dual Mode Transmitter (DMT)
Modular Low-power radio frequency (MLPRF)
Programmable signal processor (PSP)
The AN/APG-68(V)9 radar is the latest development. Besides the increase in scan range compared to the previous version, it has a Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) capability.

The APG-68(V)9 has equipped several variants, including the F-16D Block 52+s of the Israeli Air Force, Turkish Air Force,[1] Moroccan Air Force and Greek Air Force, and the F-16C/D Block 52+s of the Polish Air Force

Specifications:

Frequency: Starting Envelope frequency around 9.86GHz.
Under AIS Testing as high as 26 GHz
Range: 296.32km, 184 miles
Search cone: 120 degrees × 120 degrees
Azimuth angular coverage: ±10 degrees / ± 30 degrees / ± 60 degrees
Programmable Signal Processor (PSP) - The core radar component which is responsible for signal processing, frequency selection, signal digitization for B-Scope display. The PSP is controlled through the F-16 Heads Down Display Set (HDDS) or what is commonly called the Multi-Function Displays (MFDs). The PSP is directed by the system operational flight program (OFP), which is controlled and modified for new threats or addition radar system requirements. The PSP also contains all the controls circuitry for radar A/A and A/G operational scan patterns and SAR/ISAR operation.
Modular Low Powered Radio Frequency (MLPRF) - The frequency generator for the radar system. Frequency generation is dependent on the random frequency selection from the radar tables within the PSP upon system start-up. The MLPRF will generate a small amount of RF Drive, which is sent to the Dual Mode Transmitter (DMT), where it is amplified and a small RF sample is sent to the MLPRF for comparison checksum (more like a check and balance system). The MLPRF also is responsible for the receiving of the radar return, generating the RF injection noise (for RF discrimination), and the processed RF within the MLPRF is then later sent to the PSP for video processing and threat/target matching against the radar threat tables within the PSP, prior to flightcrew system display.
Dual Mode Transmitter (DMT) - A 24,000 volt radar transmitter, containing a TWT, which generates the amplified RF to be sent to the radar Antenna for system emission. The TWT operates by optical pulses received from the DMT's internal Pulse Decker Unit and TWT Cathode/Anode voltage inputs.
Antenna - A planar array antenna, which is constructed to receive RF data through a waveguide system. The transmitted and received pulses are controlled in time by the PMW (Pulse Modulated Wave) radar design, and the waveguide duplexer assembly. Internal to the antenna are Uniphaser Assemblies (used for quadrature phase control), Phase Shifters (used of quadrature I/Q data) and gimbalized motor control for antenna positioning and position correction.

90f6f03f45cf6290cb345a0d36d3c273.jpg

Please comment.:smitten:

Don't get to excited hero ! do you think that PAF will let your IAF sleep in peace by perhaps not doing the same now lets :toast_sign: to that :lol:
Tell that to your leaders...who shout India is destablizing the regional security.....every time there is a new defence procurement by India.:rofl:

as usual... indian fanboys at their best jumping up and down.
IDAF which uses f-16s rejected AESA radar for their f-16 fleet because simply 1st generation AESA are not as good as matured MSA.

as usual... indian fanboys at their best jumping up and down.
IDAF which uses f-16s rejected AESA radar for their f-16 fleet because simply 1st generation AESA are not as good as matured MSA.

That is an interesting comment.
Can u plz post some text related to AESA being less effective than MSA.
Thanks.

Tell that to your leaders...who shout India is destablizing the regional security.....every time there is a new defence procurement by India.:rofl:

I don't need to tell anyone jack its more like your gov that cries all the time seriously think about you are writting try making some damn sense! and India is destablizing the region there is no damn secert in that but do you ever hear us cry never... so make so me sense next time.. :hitwall::tdown:

Lets stick to the Topic guys.

Can a improved MIG29SMT with HMS,, New Zhuk radar and new engine RD33 live with the much improved PAFs F16/52.

FROM 2011 it will be 66 MIG29SMT (upgraded for $900m) or $13 each

AGAINST

62 F16/52 with (42 upgraded F16 BL15 included.. )

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom