What's new

IAF commits to 324 Tejas fighters, provided a good Mark-II jet is delivered

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
HIGHLIGHTS
  • IAF has “firmly committed” to 123 Tejas jets at present, which will come at a cost of over Rs 75,000 crore
  • It wants the next 201 Tejas Mark-II jets to be “entirely new fighters” with much better avionics and radars
  • The existing single-engine Tejas has limited “endurance” of just an hour, with a “radius of action” of only 350-400-km

NEW DELHI: After years of being critical of the Tejas fighter, which is still not combat-ready 35 years after the light combat aircraft project was first approved by the government, the IAF has now agreed to induct 324 of the indigenous jets in the long-term to make up for its fast-depleting number of fighter squadrons.

IAF has “firmly committed” to 123 Tejas jets at present, which will come at a cost of over Rs 75,000 crore if both developmental and production costs are taken into account. But it wants the next 201 Tejas Mark-II jets to be “entirely new fighters” with much better avionics and radars, enhanced fuel and weapons carrying capacity, and more powerful engines, say top sources.

The existing single-engine Tejas has limited “endurance” of just an hour, with a “radius of action” of only 350-400-km, and weapon-carrying capacity of 3-tonne. Other single-engine fighters like Swedish Gripen-E and American F-16 have roughly double the weapon-carrying capacity and triple the endurance.

But IAF, down to just 31 fighter squadrons (18 jets in each) when at least 42 are required to tackle the “collusive threat” from China and Pakistan, realises inducting expensive foreign fighters “in large numbers” is simply not an option.

The 36 Rafale jets, ordered from France in September 2016, for instance, have cost India Rs 59,000 crore. The total cost, of course, includes a decidedly deadly weapons package, all spares and costs for 75% fleet availability and “performance-based logistics support” for five years.

“The Tejas Mark-II is still on the drawing board. But if DRDO, Aeronautical Development Agency and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd deliver the required Mark-II fighter, IAF has agreed to have a total of 18 Tejas squadrons,” said a source.

This comes after a flurry of top-level meetings in South Block, with defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman herself announcing earlier this month that the government is “not ditching” the home-grown Tejas and “putting all its energies” into ensuring the fighter is delivered at a much faster pace.

Only six of the 20 Tejas ordered by IAF in their IOC (initial operational clearance) configuration, which basically means the fighter is airworthy, have been delivered by HAL till now under the first Rs 2,813 crore contract inked in March 2006.

Another 20 Tejas in their FOC (final operational clearance) or combat-ready configuration were to be delivered by December 2016, as per the second Rs 5,989 crore contract inked in December 2010. But the Tejas will get its FOC only by June at the earliest, with IAF now hoping to begin inducting these 20 jets from 2019 onwards.

The contract for 83 Tejas Mark-1A fighters, which will cost around 50,000 crores, is in the process of being finalized now. These jets will have 43 “improvements” to improve maintainability, AESA (active electronically scanned array) radar to replace existing mechanically-steered radar, mid-air refuelling capability, long-range BVR (beyond visual range) missiles and advanced electronic warfare to jam enemy radars and missiles. The delivery of these 83 jets is slated to begin in 2023.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...k-2-jet-is-delivered/articleshow/63306776.cms

Hi,

That is-----200 miles combat radius---:o::o::o::o::o::o: @GURU DUTT ---eh ki hoya---+ 3 ton weapons carrying capacity.

And I am here cursing the Paf for their 600-750 miles combat radius + 4.5 tons weapons carrying capacity for their JF17's---.

So---the 201 " new fighters " could basically be the F16 or the Grippen---.

Now that tells you---how obsolete the design and the frame of the Teja is---regardless of what has been done to the EW package---.

You know that I have never ever criticized Teja technically---other than a couple of times that I have made a joke or so---.

But the truth to the matter is---time is the enemy of any and every project---. A product needs to be completed or rejected in a certain minimum time frame--otherwise---the end product is never a viable product---.

No---don't get me on " we have learnt a lot from it mantra "---because all that has been learnt from it is----. I won't say---because I don't want you to correct your mistake.

Last edited:
Hi,

That is-----200 miles combat radius---:o::o::o::o::o::o: @GURU DUTT ---eh ki hoya---.

And I am here cursing the Paf for their 600-750 miles combat radius for their JF17's---.

From my reading of this and other articles here's what I have gathered. JF 17 is you frontline aircraft so you will be going up against Sukhoi and Rafale, which is nuts even if you have the greatest pilots as you guys claim. While Tejas in this configuration will be limited to 20 or so.

My fundamental observation was JF 17 and LCA are both just stepping stone aircrafts, albeit Pak committed to close to 250 of the original version. The block 2 or 1 A version of each, and it's enhancements (completed), are the true test case. Thereafter, block 3 and Mark II.

From my reading of this and other articles here's what I have gathered. JF 17 is you frontline aircraft so you will be going up against Sukhoi and Rafale, which is nuts even if you have the greatest pilots as you guys claim. While Tejas in this configuration will be limited to 20 or so.

My fundamental observation was JF 17 and LCA are both just stepping stone aircrafts, albeit Pak committed to close to 250 of the original version. The block 2 or 1 A version of each, and it's enhancements (completed), are the true test case. Thereafter, block 3 and Mark II.

Hi,

And you are correct---that is what I have been saying on this board for the last one decade---.

It is never " what fits your vision---but rather what you have to fight against "---and who you have to fight against---.

Your soldier---you machine---must have some kind of fear factor for the enemy---if the enemy is not afraid of your machine---he will stay with his fundamental basic training---and won't commit any errors---when there are no errors committed---smaller / lesser equipment will lose---.

In order for an equipment to succeed---a part of its presence musty have some kind of effect over the operator of the opponents machine---that may cause to him to make errors---.

Hi,

That is-----200 miles combat radius---:o::o::o::o::o::o: @GURU DUTT ---eh ki hoya---+ 3 ton weapons carrying capacity.

And I am here cursing the Paf for their 600-750 miles combat radius + 4.5 tons weapons carrying capacity for their JF17's---.

Now that tells you---how obsolete the design and the frame of the Teja is---regardless of what has been done to the EW package---.

You know that I have never ever criticized Teja technically---other than a couple of times that I have made a joke or so---.

But the truth to the matter is---time is the enemy of any and every project---. A product needs to be completed or rejected in a certain minimum time frame--otherwise---the end product is never a viable product---.

No---don't get me on " we have learnt a lot from it mantra "---because all that has been learnt from it is----. I won't say---because I don't want you to correct your mistake.
tejas was designed in 1980s with mind set of mig 21..so its logical it will have similar endurance, its time is long gone..its obsolete since it wount come in numbers before 2030 considering it takes 5-10 years too get the fighter acustomed, and pilots and ground crew trained
even a production at twice the current speed without any development would mean 10 years for 160 jets

PAF never announced it was going to Bahrain.

PAF was flying JF and SMs at Qatar in the same period...

PAF has participated in much bigger and important airshows in UK,France,Turkey,China,Qatar and more..

Now, cut down your inherent indian stupidity.

I don't believe much of what you stated. I was very much lurking around back then and it was big deal on these forums that JF17 was booked for two slots and pulled out once Tejas was announced.

Update: I think it was the floorplan on the brochure that also showed JF17 and LCA next to each other. It's been a while

Last edited:
I don't believe much of what you stated. I was very much lurking around back then and it was big deal on these forums that JF17 was booked for two slots and pulled out once Tejas was announced.
Im not here to make some butthurt indian believe anything..

An under development inferior jet 40 years in the making vs a combat proven fighter with several international airshows and 2 export orders under its belt... sure.. PAF “iz bery bery ishkared”.

An under development inferior jet 40 years in the making vs a combat proven fighter with several international airshows and 2 export orders under its belt... sure.. PAF “iz bery bery ishkared”.
Just ignore @takeitwithyou he just a troll sir

Hi,

Indians couldn't learn in 35 years , will they ever learn? The day the Indians get their aircraft airborne in battle PA will have a turkey shoot.

If only your opinion mattered when honestly assessing any of these aircrafts. How many squadrons do the Chinese have of these or even plan on having?

If only your opinion mattered when honestly assessing any of these aircrafts. How many squadrons do the Chinese have of these or even plan on having?
Doesnt matter if Chinese induct 100 or nada.

What bout the lemon you have? Is that trailer queen even operational yet.. after 4 decades? Nope.

Happy flyin the 2 test jets for a puny hour...

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom