What's new

IAF AN-32 Missing with crew of 29 in Bay of Bengal

Cn-QOykUAAEqdEc.jpg

IAF AN-32 Goes Missing: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Aircraft

• There are more than 100 Russian-made AN-32s in service with the IAF.
  • The Indian Air Force reportedly has a fleet of 105 AN-32s in service.
  • The AN-32, a twin-engine aircraft, is primarily used as a cargo flight.
  • In this case, it was carrying 29 people on board – 23 personnel and six crew.
  • The aircraft has the capacity to transport either 7.5 tonnes of cargo or fifty passengers.
  • There are ten variants of the AN-32: An-32A, An-32B, An-32B-100, An-32B-110, An-32B-120, An-32B-300, An-32LL, An-32MP, An-32P firekiller and An-32B-200.
  • The AN-32 aircraft can fly at a maximum speed of 530km/hour. The aircraft weighs around 16,800kg and its maximum take-off weight is 27,000 kg.
  • The AN-32 is an aircraft that can fly for up to four hours without refueling.
  • The aircraft is designed to be used in both – civilian as well as military situations.
  • The An-32 prototype took its maiden flight in July 1976.

I hope some of them have survived. But tracking every bit of info posted so far I fear the worst.

I knew you will say that :)
Just compare the reliability C130 has 4 engines as it carries double the payload of An-32.
U have a point BUT the C130 in IAF is for special mission not regular flights or in this case a courier flight ! hence the An32

I knew you will say that :)
Just compare the reliability C130 has 4 engines as it carries double the payload of An-32.

I don't want to get into specifics, but 4 engined aircraft are always reliable in-flight. There is something called ETOPS which limits the operational performance of a twin engine aircraft which is not applicable for 4 engined aircraft. But my understanding is that when you mentioned reliability, u meant service availability and redundant features and I agree that western aircrafts are always ahead in this factor.

On Topic: Praying for everyone involved and their families. And it's not always the fault of the aircraft age. In aviation incidents/accidents, human error has stood out as the most frequent cause then comes natural calamities and finally the equipment which in this case is the aircraft itself. Even if old, a well maintained aircraft will be more safe than a brand new aircraft which is not maintained properly. But these incidents are more of God's will/destiny, there is only so much we can do to prevent them.

Good Day to all!

I don't want to get into specifics, but 4 engined aircraft are always reliable in-flight. There is something called ETOPS which limits the operational performance of a twin engine aircraft which is not applicable for 4 engined aircraft. But my understanding is that when you mentioned reliability, u meant service availability and redundant features and I agree that western aircrafts are always ahead in this factor.

On Topic: Praying for everyone involved and their families. And it's not always the fault of the aircraft age. In aviation incidents/accidents, human error has stood out as the most frequent cause then comes natural calamities and finally the equipment which in this case is the aircraft itself. Even if old, a well maintained aircraft will be more safe than a brand new aircraft which is not maintained properly. But these incidents are more of God's will/destiny, there is only so much we can do to prevent them.

Good Day to all!
I hope most of them are found and survived the accident.

Appreciate the prayers, good wishes and words of encouragement from across the borders. Thank you, GENTLEMEN & OFFICERS.

According to Mr Udai Bhaskar - It's really dangerous to fly near Cumulonimbus Clouds, the upward and downward wind is very strong.

IAF and Naval pilots are trained to evade this cloud as its very common in Andaman.

O2s15.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom