What's new

IAF AN-32 Missing with crew of 29 in Bay of Bengal

Efforts are on but its likely we lost 29 good men.

May we recover the debris and give them the last respects in proper manner.

Below is an update from Indian Navy
CoNgU0EUIAAH6uZ.jpg

65 sorties and 292.15 Hours.. Our men in forces are doing hard work out there..

Efforts are on but its likely we lost 29 good men.

May we recover the debris and give them the last respects in proper manner.

Below is an update from Indian Navy
CoNgU0EUIAAH6uZ.jpg

65 sorties and 292.15 Hours.. Our men in forces are doing hard work out there..
Can u please explain the "weather in the area" in lay man terms - what does sea state "2" signify

Can u please explain the "weather in the area" in lay man terms - what does sea state "2" signify

From US Navy Dive manual
Sea%20Conditions.jpg

Beaufort Scale

ddec15e2574d09468fe124a800e5da1b.jpg

Sea state 2 implies the the waves and condition of sea is normal with light breeze. Thus visibility should be better and waves would be less than 1 feet

Swell of 1 meter as per Navy PRO
Swell -
upload_2016-7-26_14-4-59.png

a figure to understand is this
upload_2016-7-26_14-5-32.png

Fetch is the horizontal distance over which wave-generating winds blow from a single, constant direction

From US Navy Dive manual
Sea%20Conditions.jpg

Beaufort Scale

ddec15e2574d09468fe124a800e5da1b.jpg

Sea state 2 implies the the waves and condition of sea is normal with light breeze. Thus visibility should be better and waves would be less than 1 feet

Swell of 1 meter as per Navy PRO
Swell -
View attachment 320748
a figure to understand is this
View attachment 320749

Fetch is the horizontal distance over which wave-generating winds blow from a single, constant direction
Thanks for the Info.... Just hope for better news abt the aircraft

RAW deploys air asset to trace missing AN-32 plane
NEW DELHI, July 26, 2016, DHNS
560226_thump.jpg

The Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) has deployed one of its sophisticated surveillance planes to look for the Indian Air Force’s missing AN-32 aircraft.

A surveillance aircraft of the Aviation Research Centre — the air surveillance unit of the RAW — flew for five hours over the Bay of Bengal looking for the AN-32, which disappeared from the sky minutes after taking off from Tambaram air base in Chennai on Friday morning.

There is no way of knowing which ARC asset was deployed for the search, but the intelligence agency has in its inventory an Israeli aircraft (Astra) with synthetic aperture radar that can see through the monsoon cloud. While 19 aircraft and 17 ships are searching the high seas between Tamil Nadu and Andaman round the clock, the Defence Ministry has also roped in the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) in the pursuit of a breakthrough.

Unfortunately for the military, Olympic Canyon, a deep sea survey vessel owned by the Reliance Industries, is not available this time.

The vessel, which was instrumental in retrieving the mortal remains of the three-member Indian Coast Guard crew from a crashed Dornier last year, is in Norway and would not be available in a short notice.

The Defence Ministry now looks for ships of similar capability in the vicinity.

The wreckage of the Dornier and mortal remains of its crew were recovered from a depth of 950 mt in July 2015 — a month after the crash — when the aircraft’s location beacon was about to die.

For the AN-32, the search needs to be carried out at a depth of 3.5 km, which is more challenging.

Meanwhile, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha said a thorough enquiry would be conducted to ascertain what led to the unfortunate event.

“Events like these are painful reminders of the inherent risks which our brave personnel face in the execution of our daily missions. A thorough enquiry will be conducted to ascertain exactly what led to this unfortunate event,” Raha said in a statement issued on Monday.

Underwater search soon
With no clue during the surface search of the missing AN-32 flight, defence authorities on Monday said they were mulling over underwater search operations, DHNS reports from Chennai.
They said help of private and government agencies may be taken to locate the IAF plane which had 29 passengers on board.
Inspector General Rajan Bargotra, Commander Coast Guard Region (East), briefing the mediapersons here, said the surface search in the sea, which entered fourth day, to locate the aircraft has been extended to 300 nautical miles southeasterly direction off Chennai coast with the help of the Navy and Coast Guard ships. “Since weather has improved, we have extended and intensified our search and rescue operations,” he said.
The Eastern Naval Command (ENC) had deployed two P8i long-range maritime patrol aircraft with advanced electro-optics and radars, two Dornier aircraft and 13 ships with integral helicopters for the search operations.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/560226/raw-deploys-air-asset-trace.html

CoYLYPNXgAE0DxN.jpg

Notice in surface search rea the transmission intercept and position of objects (possibly debris)

@Abingdonboy :
Massive SAR ops..92 sorties, 397.25 Hrs thats avg 4.32 hrs..

You think SAR helos would have helped this situation?

The area is pretty deep.. such depth kind of takes out the ability to even SSN to dive much and locate..

But good solid effort by IN+IAF+ARC+ICG... i guess they will ensure the lost plane will be found and families gets a closure.

@Abingdonboy :
Massive SAR ops..92 sorties, 397.25 Hrs thats avg 4.32 hrs..

You think SAR helos would have helped this situation?
No doubt a greater proflieration of advanced (and long range) shore(and ship)-based SAR helos such as the H225M would be greatly beneficial in any such operations especially for the rescue/recovery component of SAR. However in this context, given the size of the search area the assets that would be most useful would be long range fixed wing ISR assets (UAVs and manned). Thus it is good news the IN has ordered another 4 P-8Is (with an eventual fleet size of >24-30 by 2021). What is particuarly essential is to increase the size of these fixed wing ISR assets with the IN and ICG, the fact that the IAF (and ARC) are being brought into this search highlights the deficencies that currently exist in the ICG and IN in this regard.

I also think the US-2I with the ICG would be particuarly useful in these kind of operations.

The area is pretty deep.. such depth kind of takes out the ability to even SSN to dive much and locate..

What would be more helpful would be a deep sea recovery vessel (as used to recover the lost Do-228 not long ago) that are usually operated by private entities (such as Reliance). With a growing demand in the region for such vessels hopefully more Indian private companies are going to invest in more such platforms in the near future.

No doubt a greater proflieration of advanced (and long range) shore(and ship)-based SAR helos such as the H225M would be greatly beneficial in any such operations especially for the rescue/recovery component of SAR. However in this context, given the size of the search area the assets that would be most useful would be long range fixed wing ISR assets (UAVs and manned). Thus it is good news the IN has ordered another 4 P-8Is (with an eventual fleet size of >24-30 by 2021). What is particuarly essential is to increase the size of these fixed wing ISR assets with the IN and ICG, the fact that the IAF (and ARC) are being brought into this search highlights the deficencies that currently exist in the ICG and IN in this regard.

I also think the US-2I with the ICG would be particuarly useful in these kind of operations.

What would be more helpful would be a deep sea recovery vessel (as used to recover the lost Do-228 not long ago) that are usually operated by private entities (such as Reliance). With a growing demand in the region for such vessels hopefully more Indian private companies are going to invest in more such platforms in the near future.

I was wondering if India has looked into real time transponder streaming technology (via satellite or ground based microwave etc..) so we know at the exact point an incident/event happens especially when over an oceanspace. Especially during peace time and for a regular conveyance operation like this, it would be quite handy when something goes wrong.

I was wondering if India has looked into real time transponder streaming technology (via satellite or ground based microwave etc..) so we know at the exact point an incident/event happens especially when over an oceanspace. Especially during peace time and for a regular conveyance operation like this, it would be quite handy when something goes wrong.
For its military aircraft this is possible however I don't beleive this technology is in use anywhere in the world in any meaningful form. This is the way the global aviation sector seems to be going though (I think MH370 has highlighted the need). For it to be truly succesful the system would have to be entirely self-sufficent and autonomous from the crew's control. I am curious however to see how readily it would be adopted as the general consensus from the pilot community has been to resist any such technology that they cannot have complete control over in the air. Either way it is likely to be 10-15 years away from full roll out.

For its military aircraft this is possible however I don't beleive this technology is in use anywhere in the world in any meaningful form.

India can try developing it. The technology is all out there, what really is needed is implementation and certification. With civilian aircraft this is a long bureaucratic process to get done....but a military can push it through quite quickly and then sell the technology as well when it catches on in both other militaries and civilian sectors.

This is the way the global aviation sector seems to be going though (I think MH370 has highlighted the need). For it to be truly succesful the system would have to be entirely self-sufficent and autonomous from the crew's control.

Yup. Parts of the tech already are in use such as through satelllite TV/telephony. These have to be developed to be made dedicated and capable of two way comms (potentially, though a one way transponder would work fine as well I suspect) and of course segregated from rest of the aircraft like you said except for maybe an overriding kill switch (for potential use in war time etc). The Navy has a dedicated geo bird satellite already if I am not mistaken for comms and other purposes.....so it could be implemented relatively quickly.

I am curious however to see how readily it would be adopted as the general consensus from the pilot community has been to resist any such technology that they cannot have complete control over in the air. Either way it is likely to be 10-15 years away from full roll out.

Well its the military we are talking about. If the system is needed, they can develop it and implement it....and air force pilots really can't complain for what they have signed up for in the greater interest (they carry payloads far more dangerous and lethal that technically are often outside their "direct" control regularly since thats how the command chain functions).

Besides there can be a kill switch like I mentioned that gives a manual override of the system if absolutely necessary (put it in a secured window panel that needs a key etc). It can be a lot quicker than 10-15 years....especially if the aircraft is GPS equipped or even just has standard INS....basically its a transponder that transmits its coordinates to a satellite every minute or so. These antennae are relatively small (even for transmitting) and can be retrofitted quite quickly....my friend works for a company that does this for sat TV in commercial and business planes....takes maybe a day or two....and there are no massive volume considerations or FAA paperwork in military transport aircraft....so probably even shorter than that.

Example:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2014/03/tecom-satcom-antenna.html

Last edited:

I don't think we have a robust network of satellites up yet for that.

IRNSS is still too raw to actually achieve that. US Navy uses a sort of tracking tech you speak of.

But yes, the nation has paid a heavy price for not having this. We lost 29 precious jawans.

Unless they somehow managed to use an emergency raft or something and are out there somewhere.

That will be really good news; history has had many instances like this where soldiers lost at the seas have been found within a few days.

We can at least save them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom