What's new

I left the US because of their hatred towards Muslims… this is my story

faisal6309

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I left the US because of their hatred towards Muslims… this is my story

995850_503497619768140_1460706068_n.jpg

I was born in 1982, in the beautiful American city of San Jose, California. A proud patriotic Muslim American, my dad would decorate our house with lights every Fourth of July.

Fast forward to the year 2001, when I got admitted to one of America’s top medical schools – the Harvard Medical School in Boston. Moving from San Jose was hard. I stayed in the dorm. Every morning, when I went to take a shower, I saw a sticker on one of the bathroom mirrors on my floor that said,

‘Whoever is a friend of the Muslims is a traitor of Christianity and of America’.

In the evenings, sometimes, I would go to the reading room to study. Right on the entrance door, I would find the same sticker. I saw similar messages written on public vans and buses and plastered on walls across Boston. I heard fiery speeches against Islam by Christian clerics in downtown Boston, some calling for my death.

I felt intimidated, unwelcomed and unaccepted.

20800-najdobritemedicinskifakultetivosvetot-1390978985-931-640x480.jpg

I often wondered why there was not a single Christian student, out of the thousands at Harvard, who had the moral integrity to tear down the hate stickers on campus – hate stickers that openly attacked me for being Muslim.

Would Christ not preach universal love and peace?

What had happened to those who claimed to follow him?

I waited and waited for my five years at medical school but these stickers never came down.

Then, when I found out that a group of Christian students had forced the administration of Mt Sinai Medical School in New York to expel all 23 of its Muslim students from that medical school, and were threatening widespread violence, I forgot my own pain for a bit. At least I was still able to pursue my studies. These other students had lost their careers merely for having an identity.

Soon after, I also found out that Muslim engineering students at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) were forbidden to eat in the university cafeteria and dorm kitchens. Christian student groups had complained that Muslim presence was making the food filthy and hurting the sentiment of ordinary Christians at MIT.

I forgot my pain once again. At least, I could still eat freely at Harvard.

The atmosphere of intimidation never grew calm. I had some Christian friends but most were friends as long as I did not express my religious views openly. Attacks on Muslims kept growing and discrimination against them had become an accepted norm. Even Muslim graves were attacked in cities across the US for polluting American soil. I still decided to stay in the US and help people in and around San Jose.

I continued to hope things would improve.

However, after a series of other targeted attacks on fellow Muslim doctors, I decided to leave the US in 2008. I could not take it anymore. I moved to Pakistan to pursue a career in cardiology. My friends ask me if I will ever return to the States. I think I will but not until the Christian clergy stops condemning me as ‘worthy of death’ and the American government stops jailing me for calling myself a Muslim openly and for professing my faith as I deem fit.

I miss the US a lot but I also love my new homeland. There are a few bigots here as well but I never have to worry about them. My friends come to my rescue before I know it. I am different but I am loved. I feel welcomed and accepted. I have the freedom to speak and profess my faith. Until my motherland is reformed, I shall stay in Pakistan God willing.

I am currently pursuing a degree in cardiology in Lahore and this is my story.

I left the US because of their hatred towards Muslims… this is my story – The Express Tribune Blog

I am more curious how he got inHarvard Medical School at ages 18/19

IIRC, HMS require either a 4 years bachelor degree or 2 years course work in Chemistry + 1 year premed (that is if you are that good) to get in. You have to be at least 20/21 (if you graduate from high school at age 17 )to enrol in HMS

Last edited:
Excellent article, OP forgot to post the most important part!

Key:

Pakistan = United States
United States = Pakistan
Harvard Medical School = King Edward Medical University
Mt Sinai Medical School = Punjab Medical College
MIT = University of Engineering and Technology (UET)
Christian = Other Muslims
Christianity = Islam
Christ = Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
Muslims = Ahmadis
Boston = Lahore
Lahore = Boston
San Jose = Rabwah
New York = Faisalabad

A graduate of King Edward Medical University in Lahore and Mt Sinai University Hospital in New York who is currently completing his Cardiology fellowship at Tufts University in Boston, USA. Kashif writes for various American newspapers and Pakistani publications and blogs at the Huffington Post. His interests include medicine, Pakistan affairs and Muslim-American community affairs. He tweets @KashifMD (twitter.com/KashifMD)

Come on its not like Ahmadis are the only one being persecuted.

Try reading the article now,

I left Pakistan because of their hatred towards Ahmadis… this is my story. I was born in 1982, in the beautiful Pakistani city of Rabwah. A proud patriotic Ahmadi Pakistani, my dad would decorate our house with lights every Fourth of July.

Fast forward to the year 2001, when I got admitted to one of Pakistan’s top medical schools – the King Edward Medical University in Lahore. Moving from Rabwah was hard. I stayed in the dorm. Every morning, when I went to take a shower, I saw a sticker on one of the bathroom mirrors on my floor that said,

‘Whoever is a friend of the Ahmadis is a traitor of Muslims and of Pakistan’.

In the evenings, sometimes, I would go to the reading room to study. Right on the entrance door, I would find the same sticker. I saw similar messages written on public vans and buses and plastered on walls across Lahore. I heard fiery speeches against Ahmadis by Muslim clerics in downtown Lahore, some calling for my death. I felt intimidated, unwelcomed and unaccepted.

I often wondered why there was not a single Muslim student, out of the thousands at King Edwards, who had the moral integrity to tear down the hate stickers on campus – hate stickers that openly attacked me for being Ahmadi.

Would Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) not preach universal love and peace? What had happened to those who claimed to follow him? I waited and waited for my five years at medical school but these stickers never came down.

Then, when I found out that a group of Muslim students had forced the administration of Punjab Medical College in Faisalabad to expel all 23 of its Ahmadi students from that medical school, and were threatening widespread violence, I forgot my own pain for a bit. At least I was still able to pursue my studies. These other students had lost their careers merely for having an identity.

Soon after, I also found out that Muslim engineering students at University of Engineering and Technology (UET) were forbidden to eat in the university cafeteria and dorm kitchens. Muslim student groups had complained that Ahmadi presence was making the food filthy and hurting the sentiment of ordinary Muslims at UET. I forgot my pain once again. At least, I could still eat freely at King Edwards.

The atmosphere of intimidation never grew calm. I had some Muslim friends but most were friends as long as I did not express my religious views openly. Attacks on Ahmadis kept growing and discrimination against them had become an accepted norm. Even Ahamdi graves were attacked in cities across the Pakistan for polluting Pakistano soil. I still decided to stay in the Pakistan and help people in and around Rabwah. I continued to hope things would improve.

However, after a series of other targeted attacks on fellow Ahmadi doctors, I decided to leave Pakistan in 2008. I could not take it anymore. I moved to America to pursue a career in cardiology. My friends ask me if I will ever return to Pakistan. I think I will but not until the Islamic clergy stops condemning me as ‘worthy of death’ and the Pakistani government stops jailing me for calling myself a Muslim openly and for professing my faith as I deem fit.

I miss Pakistan a lot but I also love my new homeland. There are a few bigots here as well but I never have to worry about them. My friends come to my rescue before I know it. I am different but I am loved. I feel welcomed and accepted. I have the freedom to speak and profess my faith. Until my motherland is reformed, I shall stay in America God willing.

I am currently pursuing a degree in cardiology in Boston and this is my story.

I left Pakistan because of their hatred towards Ahmadis… this is my story – The Express Tribune Blog

Its funny how almost no one in the Express Tribune comment section got the article, and everyone's busy playing the evil America and Muslim victim card :lol:.

Last edited:
He came back to Pakistan only to find out that hatred of other communities should not be practiced with subtle bathroom stickers, instead it should be a slow genocide of an entire race as is what is experienced by Hindus, Christians, Shias, Ahmadis etc. Imagine his surprise.

edit: Oh!! Fantastic peice, but Ahmadis arent the only ones persecuted.

Last edited:
Try reading the article now,

I left Pakistan because of their hatred towards Ahmadis… this is my story. I was born in 1982, in the beautiful Pakistani city of Rabwah. A proud patriotic Ahmadi Pakistani, my dad would decorate our house with lights every Fourth of July.

Fast forward to the year 2001, when I got admitted to one of Pakistan’s top medical schools – the King Edward Medical University in Lahore. Moving from Rabwah was hard. I stayed in the dorm. Every morning, when I went to take a shower, I saw a sticker on one of the bathroom mirrors on my floor that said,

‘Whoever is a friend of the Ahmadis is a traitor of Muslims and of Pakistan’.

In the evenings, sometimes, I would go to the reading room to study. Right on the entrance door, I would find the same sticker. I saw similar messages written on public vans and buses and plastered on walls across Lahore. I heard fiery speeches against Ahmadis by Muslim clerics in downtown Lahore, some calling for my death. I felt intimidated, unwelcomed and unaccepted.

I often wondered why there was not a single Muslim student, out of the thousands at King Edwards, who had the moral integrity to tear down the hate stickers on campus – hate stickers that openly attacked me for being Ahmadi.

Would Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) not preach universal love and peace? What had happened to those who claimed to follow him? I waited and waited for my five years at medical school but these stickers never came down.

Then, when I found out that a group of Muslim students had forced the administration of Punjab Medical College in Faisalabad to expel all 23 of its Ahmadi students from that medical school, and were threatening widespread violence, I forgot my own pain for a bit. At least I was still able to pursue my studies. These other students had lost their careers merely for having an identity.

Soon after, I also found out that Muslim engineering students at University of Engineering and Technology (UET) were forbidden to eat in the university cafeteria and dorm kitchens. Muslim student groups had complained that Ahmadi presence was making the food filthy and hurting the sentiment of ordinary Muslims at UET. I forgot my pain once again. At least, I could still eat freely at King Edwards.

The atmosphere of intimidation never grew calm. I had some Muslim friends but most were friends as long as I did not express my religious views openly. Attacks on Ahmadis kept growing and discrimination against them had become an accepted norm. Even Ahamdi graves were attacked in cities across the Pakistan for polluting Pakistano soil. I still decided to stay in the Pakistan and help people in and around Rabwah. I continued to hope things would improve.

However, after a series of other targeted attacks on fellow Ahmadi doctors, I decided to leave Pakistan in 2008. I could not take it anymore. I moved to America to pursue a career in cardiology. My friends ask me if I will ever return to Pakistan. I think I will but not until the Islamic clergy stops condemning me as ‘worthy of death’ and the Pakistani government stops jailing me for calling myself a Muslim openly and for professing my faith as I deem fit.

I miss Pakistan a lot but I also love my new homeland. There are a few bigots here as well but I never have to worry about them. My friends come to my rescue before I know it. I am different but I am loved. I feel welcomed and accepted. I have the freedom to speak and profess my faith. Until my motherland is reformed, I shall stay in America God willing.

I am currently pursuing a degree in cardiology in Boston and this is my story.

I left Pakistan because of their hatred towards Ahmadis… this is my story – The Express Tribune Blog

Its funny how almost no one in the Express Tribune comment section got the article, and everyone's busy playing the evil America and Muslim victim card :lol:.
:rofl: :rofl: indians burst bubble toooooo early!!!
should have waited for atleast 2 pages :lol:

Key:

Pakistan = United States
United States = Pakistan
Christianity = Islam
Muslims = Ahmadis
Boston = Lahore
Lahore = Boston
San Jose = Rabwah
New York = Faisalabad

A graduate of King Edward Medical University in Lahore and Mt Sinai University Hospital in New York who is currently completing his Cardiology fellowship at Tufts University in Boston, USA. Kashif writes for various American newspapers and Pakistani publications and blogs at the Huffington Post. His interests include medicine, Pakistan affairs and Muslim-American community affairs. He tweets @KashifMD (twitter.com/KashifMD)

Is this guy for real or have you just pulled the mother of all trolls?

He came back to Pakistan only to find out that hatred of other communities should not be practiced with subtle bathroom stickers, instead it should be a slow genocide of an entire race as is what is experienced by Hindus, Christians, Shias, Ahmadis etc. Imagine his surprise.

edit: Oh!! Fantastic peice, but Ahmadis arent the only ones persecuted.

Killing people over their features much? We're all in the same shit-hole, no need to act all holier than thou.

He is a genius thats what he is. Got everyone to sympathize with his story only for them to later find out that he was talking about discrimination/persecution Ahmadis face in Pakistan, putting everyone in a moral dilemma.

The sneaky bastard! He knew that few would sympathize with an Ahmedi so he wrote it from an entirely opposite perspective so when you realize he's Ahmedi and you felt bad for him, it really makes the moral compass go haywire.
Bloody hell, this guy is a genius!

Key:

Pakistan = United States
United States = Pakistan
Christianity = Islam
Muslims = Ahmadis
Boston = Lahore
Lahore = Boston
San Jose = Rabwah
New York = Faisalabad

Man u destroyed a perfectly laid out monkey trap. Thoda wait karna tha

Is this guy for real or have you just pulled the mother of all trolls?

Killing people over their features much? We're all in the same shit-hole, no need to act all holier than thou.

You wish your shit-hole was as shallow as ours. And Im only too pleased with your stage of denial.

You wish your shit-hole was as shallow as ours. And Im only too pleased with your stage of denial.

It is you who is in an active state of denial, what do you think we're running here? Some sort of mini-Nazi Germany? The people you mention interact with us on a regular basis and live like any one else would. If you expect the actions of a couple of hundreds bigots or vigilantes to be the representative of a nation of 200 million. Then continue to enjoy your state of denial, I can only set the record state, the rest its up to you to make a fool of yourself.

lol...After reading like first few lines I was utterly astonished...

Stickers like "Friends of Muslims are enemies of Christianity and Christ" at Harvard? :woot:

Then I got the jist of the article :D

Brilliantly done! Shows how Pakistanis look to other countries with their deeds.

Lastly, by the way, there IS alot of hate against Muslims in America coming from some sectors of societies. The good part is that American state is VERY strong and healthy..and thats why everything is undercontrol. I bet if America had same conditions as Pakistan (poverty, GDP per capita of @1300 instead of $50,000, political instability etc)---Muslims would have been facing same conditions as Ahmedis of Pakistan, if not worse.

Btw, there are many acts of hate against Muslims on American university campuses...but then again, we are 10x better off than Ahmedis in 'Islamic' Pakistan :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom