What's new

I have a Question: to which western country we can compare Turkey in science and technology?.

I think Turkey more advanced than the one you mentioned.
Netherland having a much smaller industries compare to turkey but still quite self efficient in sub system in military as commerce. While for Turkey has a developing industries that may reach netherland level soon but compensate by having a bigger capacity now.

Netherland having a much smaller industries compare to turkey but still quite self efficient in sub system in military as commerce. While for Turkey has a developing industries that may reach netherland level soon but compensate by having a bigger capacity now.
I know Netherlands has some marine industry otherwise I've never seen any Netherlands tank or apc not even gun ??.

There is no Western country that is comparable to Turkey. They're either too rich or too small. However, in terms of economy, geography and climate some Europeans are comparing Turkey with Spain. To answer your question: We're ahead of Eastern Europe but decades behind Western Europe. I'd say we're somewhere between these two blocks technologically.

@Beast

Generally, the Netherlands are ahead of Turkey in almost every scientific field which is not very surprising. They're extremely rich and very good educated. We are maybe better off in some defence related issues but this is rather a new development.

There is no Western country that is comparable to Turkey. They're either too rich or too small. However, in terms of economy, geography and climate some Europeans are comparing Turkey with Spain. To answer your question: We're ahead of Eastern Europe but decades behind Western Europe. I'd say we're somewhere between these two blocks technologically.

@Beast

Generally, the Netherlands are ahead of Turkey in almost every scientific field which is not very surprising. They're extremely rich and very good educated. We are maybe better off in some defence related issues but this is rather a new development.
Yes, but netherland has a very small industries which level out the disadvantage

I know Netherlands has some marine industry otherwise I've never seen any Netherlands tank or apc not even gun ??.
You can compare it to Sweden (Here confined to Weapons industry)
Tanks: (S-Tank, Now only light tanks CV-90)
Fighters: Tunnan, Draken, Viggen, Gripen
Submarines: Pioneered AIP
Stealth Ships: Visby
Light Attack Craft: Stridbåt 90
SAM: RBS-70
Anti-Tank : AT-4
Drones: Codeveloping nEUROn
Radar: GaN based
EW: Gripen
AWACS: GlobalEye
Missiles: Codeveloping Meteor, RBS-15
Field Guns: FH-77, Arthur
Plenty of other types of equipment.

Sweden has mastered nuclear technology, but made a political decision 1958
not to develop nuclear weapons at that stage. Signed non-proliferation treaty 1968.
It produces a lot of nuclear energy in the dozen nuclear power plants internally developed.

Are you comparing Turkey and Sweden? The Swedish defence industry is more advanced than Turkey's. However, the Turks are advancing faster than you guys currently. So, it'll be very interesting to make this comparison in 20 years again.

not to develop nuclear weapons at that stage. Signed non-proliferation treaty 1968.
It produces a lot of nuclear energy in the dozen nuclear power plants internally developed.
No still they lag behind

Sweden compared to Germany France and Britain

This small nation really deserve more respect for it's capability in science and technology.

Not like Israel where it gets its hand on western tech, Sweden develop its own not only that it make on of the best many nations including the top ones don't hesitate to get Swedish products.

It is very hard and inaccurate to compare but let me take a stab at it...

1. Number of highly cited researcher

Turkey has 9 of them

http://hcr.stateofinnovation.com/

Another country that has 9 HiCi researcher is Greece.
Another country with similar HiCi researcher is Portugal. (6)

2. Universities in Top 20/100/200 ARWU in Science, Maths and Engineering

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU-FIELD-Statistics-2016.html#2

Top 20
Turkey 0
Greece 0
Portugal 0

Top 100
Turkey 0
Greece 0
Portugal 1

Top 200
Turkey 1
Greece 3
Portugal 2

3. Research output

Turkey 40257 Citable documents receiving 28069 citations
Portugal 21001 Citable documents receiving 25728 citations
Greece 16029 Citable documents receiving 21656 citations

H-index Ranking

Turkey 36 with H-index 339
Portugal 31 with H-index 379
Greece 30 with H-index 401

http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php?year=2016

Why H-index? It measures productivity of our research community. H-index means, you are having a community producing h publication each having h citation. Higher number means you are producing more documents which are also more cited meaning more impactful.

So there you are. Most probably Greece and Portugal are closest to Turkey in Science and Technology as far as research goes.

No, we are not there yet. You developed these platforms but we are still developing.

More over, question was "Which western country we can compare Turkey in science and technology?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom