What's new

I have a Question: to which western country we can compare Turkey in science and technology?.

@Baybars Han

That was only 1 prototype, my examples were built in the hundreds and they seem superior models.Also,in my links you can find more models, from civil to war designs

I don't understand why you are still trying to compare via single industry.

And we produce 1/3 of the house appliances in Europe.

Or QWIP production, GaN transistor production etc...
I don't. ...because as I've said, we have no benchmark. ....I just responded to your shipbuilding post.

@Baybars Han

That was only 1 prototype, my examples were built in the hundreds and they seem superior models.Also,in my links you can find more models, from civil to war designs
It was more than a prototype. It got certified and got orders for export....however, government officials banned the company from exports, also didn't buy the plane themselves...So, company got bankrupt.

I don't. ...because as I've said, we have no benchmark. ....I just responded to your shipbuilding post.
Navy shipbuilding.

You can compare it to Sweden (Here confined to Weapons industry)
Tanks: (S-Tank, Now only light tanks CV-90)
Fighters: Tunnan, Draken, Viggen, Gripen
Submarines: Pioneered AIP
Stealth Ships: Visby
Light Attack Craft: Stridbåt 90
SAM: RBS-70
Anti-Tank : AT-4
Drones: Codeveloping nEUROn
Radar: GaN based
EW: Gripen
AWACS: GlobalEye
Missiles: Codeveloping Meteor, RBS-15
Field Guns: FH-77, Arthur
Plenty of other types of equipment.

Sweden has mastered nuclear technology, but made a political decision 1958
not to develop nuclear weapons at that stage. Signed non-proliferation treaty 1968.
It produces a lot of nuclear energy in the dozen nuclear power plants internally developed.

ASYA and YAVUZ truck mounted Howitzers ( 155mm)
KAPLAN light Tank
ALTAY Main Battle Tank
AKKOR Active protection system ( under development )

SOM Cruise Missile (anti ship / land attack)- network enabled capability only The US.Uk.Turkey and Germany in NATO
OMTAS Anti Tank Missile
MIZRAK Anti Tank Missile
CIRIT 70mm laser guided rocket
TRG122 and TRG300 122 and 300 mm guided MLRS
BORA Tactical Ballistic Missile
AKYA heavy Torpedo
ORKA light Torpedo
TORK anti torpedo hard kill System
DAKA and ZARGANA Acoustic Torpedo Countermeasure Decoys

GOKTUG Air to air missile
HISAR Air defense system
ATMACA anti ship missile (222+ km)
GEZGIN Land attack cruise missile ( under development )

KALE 3500 Turbojet Engine for Cruise Missiles
TEI PD170 Turboprop Engine for UAVs
RAMJET ( under development )

LGK Laser guided Bomb
HGK - KGK - TEBER Smart Bombs

TUFAN Electromagnetic Railgun
ASELSAN and TUBITAK High Energy LASER

ASELPOD Targeting Pod
MEHPOD Jamming Pod
KORAL Radar Electronic Warfare System

AYESAS and MILSOFT in Data Software
METEKSAN in National Data Links
ASELSAN National identification system
AVCI Helmet Integrated Cueing System (HICS)
MILDAR Fire control Radar ..similar to American LONGBOW Radar

ASELSAN Quantum-well infrared photodetectors..(only 5 in world wide the US.Israel.Turkey.France and Germany)
Aselsan NANO Tecnology microchip for Radars .....( only 4 in world wide )
Aselsan Thermal Cameras

450km CAFRAD GaN based AESA Radar for the TF-2000 class Frigate project
600km Early Warging GaN based AESA Radar

BAYRAKTAR TB-2S armed Drone
ANKA-S Multirole MALE UAV ( SAR Radar + SATCOM + Laser guided Missiles )
HURKUS Trainer Aircraft

ADA class stealth Corvette ..( in service )
MILGEM-I class stealth Frigate ..( under construction )
TF-2000 class Frigate ...( under development)

it doesn't make sense to try bragging about Turkey's flight industry from the 1930, not when it was abandoned because of some cheap promises from western countries. It's similar to dickmeasuring contest when you only have a pussy!!!!!!!

Accept the fact that our leaders screwed over the industry and move on.

The thing to remember here is every development or attempt at development in Turkey has been sabotaged in some way or another, not to point fingers but this is the truth.

Its hard to compare Turkey to The Netherlands or Sweden, they are self sufficient and have the know how when it comes to military science & technology not to mention living standards. But then again western Europe has been very peaceful after WW2, low and educated populations, they have had time to develop these areas and not worry about the next scud missile, conflict or refugee outbreak. As for the the Eastern block have had the advantage of being handed industries from the soviets, so naturally likes of Ukraine are ahead in certain areas only.

I would say Turkey is among Italy & Spain, fairly sophisticate at what we do produce (Short/medium range missiles, tanks, APC's, UAV's, ships, radar systems etc) quite advanced in some areas (Naval tech) however not at the level of competition and mass production of the likes of Germany, UK, Russia etc who are of course way ahead. However slowly Turkish defence firms are getting contracts to update tech and supplies countries in the Mena and Asia, this is a good sign. This should bolster the production belt and help with future projects.

For a country surrounded by 3 conflict zones (Balkans, Middle East, Caucasus) and has been involved already in 4 - 5 conflicts and has a very hostile neighborhood I think Turkey is doing well, although this should be even more reason to push the boundaries of military, space and civilian technology.

Last edited:
More importantly, how does Turkey compare to Iran in terms of defense industry?

Outside missile technology I would say way ahead, usually lesser developed countries that focus on missile armament are not very advanced in conventional weapons. Although Iranians are very smart people, considering they have been under embargo for so long the standing army is quite impressive.

Edit: However it seems the push recently from Turkey is to fill this very gap.

You're not ahead of Eastern Europe as Eastern Europe manufactured tanks,helicopters, planes decades ago allready.
This was all soviet technology, most of the industry in EE collapsed after soviets was dissolved.
Today Turkey is far ahead of almost all Eastern European countries.

This was all soviet technology, most of the industry in EE collapsed after soviets was dissolved.
Today Turkey is far ahead of almost all Easter European countries.
What? And yours is Western tech because those were the geopolitical blocks.Define far ahead and in what? As I've allready mentioned, the thread is speculative and just because some things aren't built in EE it doesn't mean they can't be.

Patents are one of the measures of such comparisons. (Kind of rough because a variant that can be patented in one country may not be allowed in another and sometimes patents that are granted don't seem to work.) By this yardstick, as of 2015 Turkey ranks between Bulgaria and Venezuela in number of patents granted: link.

What? And yours is Western tech because those were the geopolitical blocks.Define far ahead and in what? As I've allready mentioned, the thread is speculative and just because some things aren't built in EE it doesn't mean they can't be.
Be it scientific or industrial output, i mean we can talk about eventualities all day long but theres no use in it.
You said Turkey is not ahead of EE because they used to produce tanks, the difference between EE of soviet times and Turkey today is the soviet industry came to EE from outside, designed, directed and paid by Moscov, theres hardly anything local in it, Turkey on the other hand does indeed use Western technology but with the difference that it pays for the ToT and uses its own engineers to redesign and shape the technologies according to its needs, its building up a industrial base for future independence this is a fundamentally different strategy if you may call it that way.

All that a side, claiming Turkey isnt ahead of EE just because they produced stuff in soviet times which isnt the case anymore while Turkey just ramped up the production of key technologies, is a pretty bold claim.

Back
Top Bottom