What's new

I am getting sick of hearing this free speech excuse for hate crimes

ART or movie culture is not as dodgy as these people have used it as!

Everything puts in research, understanding and then showing it! Not drawing something for provoking! THAT is not ART! That is an emotional person releasing some anger and lashing it out on the 1st thing he sees!

Raja, you seem to have ignored my earlier post in which I have refered to Rusdie's preference about american free speech (as opposed to european hate law).
Hate crime in USA requires physical action not speech.

Describe hate crime? Was that quran burner priest arrested? THAT was a hate crime!

Describe hate crime? Was that quran burner priest arrested? THAT was a hate crime!
That was not hate crime. People burn books all the time. I am sure it is his own quran not somebody else's which he forcebly burnt.
Even in India we burn effigies of politicians.( which is much more ghastly and offensive if you think about it)

That was not hate crime. People burn books all the time. I am sure it is his own quran not somebody else's which he forcebly burnt.
Even in India we burn effigies of politicians.( which is much more ghastly and offensive if you think about it)

Hmm...soo burning political stuff is the same as burning the bhagwat gita or the vedas?

Can you post relevent law here. Its your word against rushdie's. :)

Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hate crime laws in the United States protect against hate crimes (also known as bias crimes) motivated by enmity or animus against a protected class. Although state laws vary, current statutes permit federal prosecution of hate crimes committed on the basis of a person's protected characteristics of race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime_laws_in_the_United_States

Well i did not know much about USA that's why i asked what are considered hate crime in USA and why? Can you abuse any person for any reason as long as you don't use physical violence against him/her? I know many people got sue here in uk just for using few racist remarks. Even if you can abuse others by law don't mean you should do it . If you think you can stand in busy street of new York and can speak all hating words for white people and Americans without facing any consequences then you are very innocent . We saw what some white american did to some Muslims who had nothing to do with 9/11 or Osama. that's how you get blinded by emotions and revenge and hate speech incite violence

Hmm...soo burning political stuff is the same as burning the bhagwat gita or the vedas?

The problem which people don't see here is that the view of atheist about bhagwat gita will not be same as compare to those who have firm believe in this scriptures. Their sensibilities are not same as their views about this scripture is different.

The problem which people don't see here is that the view of atheist about bhagwat gita will not be same as compare to those who have firm believe in this scriptures. Their sensibilities are not same as their views about this scripture is different.

Point taken. I am not suggesting it is not offensive, I am only saying it will be difficult to outlaw burning of books. I am against burning of any book btw, be it quran, geeta or the satanic verses. But such acts (or burning effigies, or indeed american flag) is a form of protest, and should be allowed.

From the people that burn American and isreeali flags everyday...that's rich.

Effigies are not political stuff, an effigy of Nawab Shareef will have a body, hands, legs, and it will be burnt in front of everybody (not before some people beating it with shoes).
It is quite offensive compared to burning a book, but in democracy, it is valid form of protest.

Back
Top Bottom