What's new

Hunger in South Asia at levels of Ethiopia and Chad

P.prada...stop dissecting well thought posts, with a range of points made, with your one line troll-posts.

i've not yet seen a post from you, arguing a point in a comprehensive and efficient manner.

Then what do u want, 1500 words composition or the official 33000 pages review.

The points I raised to a good job of explaining themselves. If it is deficient in anyway, let me know. I will elaborate to make u understand.

That is a flawed standard for comparison, since every nation has its priorities based on the challenges it faces, and those priorities determine the role it wants to play in global affairs based on its resources and clout.

India has the human resources, economic clout, and the strategic clout WRT China, to be able to play that role in global politics - that does not mean that Pakistan, or any other nation, has to equal India in those fields to show that it is moving beyond India or XYZ neighbor.

Well, India's foreign policy has far progressed than what it was even a decade ago.

All I did was reply to darkstar's comment that "india has to move away from the obsession with pak." I tried to prove that we have already done so in my own way. His one line comment with mine.
But, Neo jumps in to save darkstar.

So, according to AM : India has the human resources, economic clout, and the strategic clout WRT China, to be able to play that role in global politics - that does not mean that Pakistan, or any other nation, has to equal India in those fields to show that it is moving beyond India or XYZ neighbor.

Should that be enough to say india is not obsessed with pak.

Last edited:
Singapore have very good relations with Vietnam these days and are in fact the biggest investor in that country. Do you have any knowledge of any current geo-political issues?

SINGAPORE-VIETNAM RELATIONS

Singapore and Vietnam have developed excellent and wide-ranging relations, built-up up over the years through exchanges of visits at the highest level. President Tran Duc Luong visited Singapore in March 1998, and in turn, President S R Nathan became the first Head of State from Singapore to visit Vietnam when he made a State Visit in February 2001. The expansion of trade and business contacts between Singapore and Vietnam over the years has also been a significant factor in forging strong bilateral ties. As an indication of the strength of this relationship, Singapore remains the largest investor in Vietnam, having made cumulative investment of US$7.26 billion by end 2001. Singapore also ranks consistently as one of Vietnam's most important trading partners. The Vietnam-Singapore Industrial Park and the Vietnam-Singapore Technical Training Centre in Binh Duong province and the Vietnam-Singapore Training Centre in Hanoi are concrete symbols of the close cooperation between the two countries. Other than working closely together in ASEAN, Vietnam and Singapore also cooperate closely in other fora such as ASEM, APEC and FEALAC.

Singapore is also honoured to play a role in Vietnam's human resource development. Since 1992, more than 2500 Vietnamese have received training in Singapore under the Singapore Cooperation Programme in areas such as healthcare, environment, finance and trade, productivity, public administration and English language training. In February 2002, Singapore formally established the Vietnam-Singapore Training Centre in Hanoi, with a focus on capacity building for Vietnamese officials. Singapore has also been providing scholarships to Vietnamese students to pursue academic courses including, among others, the ASEAN Secondary Three Scholarships, the Singapore Scholarship (undergraduate studies) and the NUS' Master in Public Management and Master in Public Policy Programmes (post-graduate studies).

China has umpteen times bigger trade relations with both india and the US. But does that justify the fact that the chinese military build up is against the US and india.

Similarly, japanese and south korean industry have widespread investments in china and vice versa. But, still china threatens japan and s.korea.

It is only pakistan that cribs about having trade relations with a rival country.
Just like your argument about indian war movies.

A BALL JEE PRODUCTIONS
Pakistan Bashing Part I : Bollywood Bashing
Story : Indian Govt paying Bollywood directors Millions to make Anti-Pak films."

Pakistan Bashing Part II : Corporate bashing
Story : India Pak FTA forces Pak to sell country to India. Indian businessmen killing innocent Pakistanis. OMG, now where will Osama and Taliban hide.

chinese geo-strategic rivalry with USA is common knowledge, giong back decades, while India's blunder in alienating a friend in China, and subsequently fighting a war are also well known matters.

But I fail to understand, what threat singapore would feel to Pakistani arms sales to Vietnam. Care to prove your claim with some hard evidence, other than conjecture?

indian war movies, such as you claim them to be, are nothing like the war movies of hollywood.

Who on earth would compare Border to saving private ryan?

The xenophobic, insulting nature of Indian films cannot be compared to great war classics, or even soviet era films. India jones' films (40 years after the cessation of hostilities), with german nazi villains, in no way created hatred for germany in america, unlike the indian films have tried to do.

No American film that i've seen has had the cursing, insults heaped upon any soviets or germans that these so called "war" movies from bollywood have.

chinese geo-strategic rivalry with USA is common knowledge, giong back decades, while India's blunder in alienating a friend in China, and subsequently fighting a war are also well known matters.

China and US have been at it since 1989, ever since the tinamen square protests.
Before that, all through the 70s china was very close to the US. In fact, China was a counter to soviet policies. It was the friendly policies of US and China that helped China end their cultural revolution and open up their economy.

At the same time, US sent a carrier battle group to save pak in 1971. Ever since independence in 1947 upto 2001, India was a diplomatic adversary to the US, either through NAM or NPT or CTBT.

India's blunder in alienating a friend in China
You are mistaken, as usual. It was china who did all the alienating. Did u forget that china was the one who attacked India in 1962. Or did your history books conveniently erase those records.
India was, in all our naivety, still talking about Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai.

But I fail to understand, what threat singapore would feel to Pakistani arms sales to Vietnam. Care to prove your claim with some hard evidence, other than conjecture?

The threat wouldnt be military aggression but political.

Vietnam has always been a touchy subject vis a vis korea, israel and kashmir. A new revitalised military in vietnam will put the onus on all other ASEAN members to invest in a military thereby creating an ARMS race in a region on the planet which is best left untouched by violence.

The Singaporeans have had enough during WW2 and so have the malayasians, and indoneasians and the thais.

Last edited:
indian war movies, such as you claim them to be, are nothing like the war movies of hollywood.

Who on earth would compare Border to saving private ryan?

The xenophobic, insulting nature of Indian films cannot be compared to great war classics, or even soviet era films. India jones' films (40 years after the cessation of hostilities), with german nazi villains, in no way created hatred for germany in america, unlike the indian films have tried to do.

No American film that i've seen has had the cursing, insults heaped upon any soviets or germans that these so called "war" movies from bollywood have.

Oh yes!! But u forgot to mention movies like "Saving Jessica Lynch," "The Three Kings," and "A Mighty Heart." These movies directly attacked Islam itself. Not to mention the countless documentaries in circulation in the US about Islamic terrorism and countless references to Pakistan.

dON'T YOU be going there, concerning yourself about the Asean countries. Just tell me, when did singapore object to pakistani arms sales to vietnam...give me the details, or keep mum on this issue.

I would be happy if some one posts the article with confirmed sources which showed that India lodged a diplomatic complaint for the arms sales. I remember Pakistan just sold some small arms. Hardly anything for India and Singapore to bother.

Regards

dON'T YOU be going there, concerning yourself about the Asean countries. Just tell me, when did singapore object to pakistani arms sales to vietnam...give me the details, or keep mum on this issue.

Oh, so a pakistani cannot stomach the fact that an indian can be kind and compassionate. My views are mine. So, get the ***k out of my face.

The ASEAN countries rarely announce their military policies publicly.

I never said Singapore objected. India objected cause they did not want pak to interfere in the ASEAN in defence deals. Thats all.

Singapore and Malaysia have excellent defence cooperation with india. the Malaysian airforce is seeking indian help in configuring and maintaining their Su-30MKMs. The singapore airforce have already got a base in india for training with IAF. All this is because of indias need to control the Malacca straits militarily and also to protect the ASEAN sea routes from piracy which is mutual in malaysian and singapores interests vis a vis india's.
We for political reasons don't want Pakistan interfering.

This link gives a good info on india and singapore.
India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue - India & Singapore Review Defence Cooperation

India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue - India & Singapore Review Defence Cooperation
India and Singapore have inked a bilateral agreement in August 2008. Under this agreement, India has provided facilities for Singapore Armed Forces to conduct joint military training and exercises involving both armor and artillery in its country. In 2007, both the countries have signed an agreement which allowed the personnel of Singapore Air Force to acquire training at the Indian Air Force base at West Bengal.

Besides these, both the countries share defence technology. The military research and development organization of both the countries are involved in the operation. Meanwhile, the Singapore air force is supposed to come for training in India in the year 2009. According to the defence secretary of Singapore, the annual defence dialogue is very significant for both the countries for advancing the bi-lateral defence relation between the countries.

more info,
The Hindu : New Delhi News : Singapore signs pact for use of Indian defence facilities

Now, info on Malaysia
Malaysia, India to step up defence cooperation - International News - livemint.com
Under the defence deal, India will deploy 31 air force personnel to train Malaysian air force pilots and technicians at a Malaysian airbase for two years from next month.
This is on top of similar training in India for Malaysian air force personnel flying Russian-made Sukhoi Su-30 fighters, Najib told reporters.
“We also agreed to consider the possibility of a cooperation in joint maintenance and use of Scorpene submarines,” he said.
Malaysia has bought two French Scorpene submarines, with the first unit to be delivered next year, while India has ordered six of the submarines.
The two countries also agreed to exchange army trainers and expand joint naval exercises, Najib said.

I would be happy if some one posts the article with confirmed sources which showed that India lodged a diplomatic complaint for the arms sales. I remember Pakistan just sold some small arms. Hardly anything for India and Singapore to bother.

Regards

Despite India's protests, Vietnam buys arms from Pakistan : India

New Delhi, Aug 17 - Ignoring concerns of its long standing ally India, Vietnam has purchased a second consignment of small arms from Pakistan.

According to Jane's Defence Weekly, Vietnam acquired 100 SMG-PK 9 mm submachine guns and 50 sniper rifles from the state-run Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) in Rawalpindi as a follow-on order to an equal number of similar weapons it purchased last year.

The SMG-PK is configured on the Heckler & Koch MP5 series of which four models are available.

India, which has burgeoning defence relations with Hanoi, 'discreetly' protested the acquisition by Vietnam's police ministry for its counter-terrorism unit, Jane's reports, but to little avail.

Military analysts in New Delhi said India's hesitancy in vindicating its assurances to Vietnam of providing it varied military hardware, including the locally designed surface-to-surface Prithvi missile, could well be responsible for Hanoi turning to Pakistan, albeit to partially meet its defence requirements.

India's vast military-industrial complex also does not produce submachine guns or sniper rifles, despite years of attempts by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to design both.

India recently imported sniper rifles from Israel while a contract to import submachine guns and carbines is under consideration by the army.

'India is handicapped by its excessive caution in boldly exercising its strategic options coupled with its highly complex and uncoordinated procedures required to export military goods,' Major General Sheru Thapliyal (retd) said. In a world of quick shifting strategic alignments, India will be left behind if it does not resolve both these shortcomings, he warned.

India strongly supported North Vietnam in its war with the US in the 1960s and 1970s in the face of tremendous Western opposition and began developing defence ties with it in the mid-1990s as part of its wider Look East approach.

This strategy proliferated in recent years as nuclear rival China, with its peaceful rise, has steadily been fashioning political, economic and military dependencies around its strategic periphery particularly in East and Southeast Asia through multilateral economic and military engagement.

There is also a growing feeling amongst Indian and Western analysts that Asia's strategic architecture created over decades by the US through its military deployments and engagement policies appears to be crumbling, giving way to an ascendant China.

This, in turn, was fostering a deep sense of uncertainty and insecurity among many Asian states, including India, even though diplomatic, military economic and political ties between Delhi and Beijing were steadily improving.

By developing defence ties with Vietnam, however, India is aiming to counter China's firmly established 'string of pearls' strategy of clinching regional military and security agreements from the Persian Gulf to the South China Sea and of expanding its profile and assets in the Indian Ocean region.

To tighten the maritime 'noose' around India, China is investing heavily in developing Gwadar port on nuclear ally Pakistan's western Makran coast and nurturing long standing military, political and commercial links with Myanmar.

Additionally, China has firmed up strategic, defence and economic ties with Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

Strategists term India's tentative response as its [/U]'string of diamonds'[/U] strategy whereby it seeks to build partnerships and relations with friends and allies like Vietnam to build regional partnerships.

As part of this feeble riposte to China's regional pro-activity, India recently reconfirmed its defence ties with Vietnam providing for bilateral military cooperation, sale of military wares like the locally developed advanced light helicopter (ALH) and assistance in overhauling and providing spares to Hanoi's ageing MiG series fighter aircraft.

The agreement also provides a framework under which Vietnamese officers would train the Indian Army in jungle warfare and counter-insurgency operations.

It also includes bilateral cooperation between India's Coast Guard and the Vietnamese Sea Police in combating piracy, reciprocal visits by senior military officers and regular exchange of intelligence.

'Agreements are meaningless unless delivered upon,' Thapliyal said. Otherwise, friends will seek help elsewhere, he added.

China and US have been at it since 1989, ever since the tinamen square protests.

Before that, all through the 70s china was very close to the US. In fact, China was a counter to soviet policies. It was the friendly policies of US and China that helped China end their cultural revolution and open up their economy.

It is obvious you have scant knowledge of history. The USA had been estranged from China since 1949, when the chinese nationalist govt was kicked out by the communists from mainland china. Since that day, the US had been a firm supporter of Taiwan. In fact, for many years USA blocked China from having the UNSC permanent seat, with the nationalist govt in Taiwan being recognised as teh official chinese govt. There were almost no relations between teh two, until the Pakistanis under bhutto arranged for a rapproachment between the two, leading to a series of covert meetings by kissinger and chinese officials.

This led to a subsequent warming of relations, and China getting the UNSC seat.

You are mistaken, as usual. It was china who did all the alienating. Did u forget that china was the one who attacked India in 1962. Or did your history books conveniently erase those records.
India was, in all our naivety, still talking about Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai.

Oh yes, was that the naivety which led India to support the khamba rebels
in Tibet in teh 50's, and gave the dalai lama (a cia instrument in the uprisings) and his followers/guerillas asylum. After this betrayel, and foreing policy folly by Nehru, do you think the chinese were gonna keep on believing hindi chini bhai bhai?

And when approached about border disputes, Indian pm Nehru rebuffed chinese attempts at any parley.

The chinese invaded due to the inept foreing policy decision of Nehru, which lost him a strategic and powerful ally, in the process gifting Pakistan a strategic and powerful ally.

Time and again you have shown a skewed understanding of geo-political issues and inept knowledge of history of the subcontinent. I suggest a bit more reading and a lot less posting for you.

Should that be enough to say india is not obsessed with pak.

No. All it means is that India has added other priorities to her plate, in addition to her original ones of 'obsessing with Pakistan'. Whether India shifts form 'obsessing with Pakistan' will be indicated in the future, if and when it stops lobbying against things like weapons sales to Vietnam.

Er!!!!

I just noticed the thread has been hijacked. ZZZ

Revert back to topic plz. We can have indo-pak bashing on a different thread.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom