What's new

Huawei, ZTE ready to give source codes to India

These are the top computer sellers in India:

Lenovo, Dell, and HP.

One Chinese and two American companies.

Lenovo emerges as top PC seller in India, overtakes Dell & HP - Economic Times

Don't you think Lenovo is mainly successful because of the push it got from 'IBM'? If it was a startup then it might have taken them decades to achieve the position they're in now.

My family has been buying Lenovo computers since they were first incorporated, more than a decade before they acquired IBM. They were highly successful before the acquisition, which is why they were able to make the acquisition in the first place.

The question is, why are ALL the top computer sellers in India "foreign companies"? Lenovo, Dell and HP.

One Chinese and two American companies. Or if you like, One Chinese company that has bought an American company and two American companies. Does that really sound better?

Funny that a China based company is being open to share tech information with India and still gets criticize, besides its not the first time China has done knowledge transfer to other countries for business gains. Its a win win so not sure what the hoo ha is about.

With regards to electronic manufacturing India at this stage is really no comparison to China, infrastructure and supply chain limitations make manufacturing in India too expensive as compared to other locations. Brownouts/Blackouts/Floods etc, for this debate we are not talking cloning one or two devices in on the home bench but mass manufacturing which is another level.

Even mass manufacturing cheap electronics takes a decent supply network.

Good work on part of Huawei.

However, lot more needs to be done. Considering the origins of Huawei.

For instance, a person told me when he the Huawei India R&D centre , the top floors R&D floors no Indians are allowed. Only Chinese personel entry. This naturally makes one suspect, as it unlike R&D centre of any other foreign company.

Of course, the above is an anecdote, not sure if true.

My family has been buying Lenovo computers since they were first incorporated, more than a decade before they acquired IBM. They were highly successful before the acquisition, which is why they were able to make the acquisition in the first place.

The question is, why are ALL the top computer sellers in India "foreign companies"? Lenovo, Dell and HP.

One Chinese and two American companies. Or if you like, One Chinese company that has bought an American company and two American companies. Does that really sound better?

Two reasons I can think of.
Hardware manufacturing in India hasn't taken off yet, besides they cannot compete with China, Taiwan or Korea with regards to pricing
Second, you killed the margins and it's not worthwhile investing in pc manufacturing based on the returns it gives,

R&D, innovation and software is with the Americans and they have invested trillions in it, hardware manufacturing advantage is with you guys, hence it's a bit difficult competing.

Exactly my point, many consumers including me thought Lenovo is a IBM spin off brand, later realized it has been bought by the Chinese.

Wrong. Lenovo has always been a Chinese brand.

Lenovo, founded by Liu Chuanzhi in Beijing in 1984, is now the world's biggest computer seller.

BBC News - Lenovo ousts HP as world's top PC maker

Chinese PC maker Lenovo has replaced Hewlett-Packard as the world's top PC maker, according to preliminary figures released by research firm Gartner.

Gartner said Lenovo shipped 13.8 million units in the third quarter, compared with HP's 13.55 million.

Largest computer sellers in the world:

1) Lenovo - China
2) HP - America
3) Dell - America
4) Acer - Taiwan
5) Asus - Taiwan

2012 Q3 Computer Reliability Report

Lenovo is way ahead of HP/Dell in terms of quality/reliability, and HCL/Wipro is nowhere near HP/Dell in every aspect. Thus why we don't see any of them in the US.

Are those craps even sold outside of India by the way?

And none of them can compete outside of India.

Because toilet is the best tool to keep your streets clean, and India is currently missing a lot of them.

Point is not to show what we have and you don't, but what you have is crap compared to ours.

:lol: I thought the world considers Chinese products as cr@p, which is actually true..

It was not about d!ck measuring, we know we lack manufacturing depth, it was about your fellow Chinese claiming that we cannot manufacture basic stuff that huwaii or zte manufactures even if we are given the source code.

and, I'll forego the toilet comment, because I don't drag in cr@p everywhere like a fly does.

I thought you guys will come up with something unique other than these basic items that India already manufactures from your manufacturing list.

If India already manufactures these things, then why does India have such an enormous trade deficit to China? Why are Chinese companies taking the number 1 spot in Indian markets?

I agree, India could probably make these things themselves if they put some effort into doing so.

But the Indian consumers are buying Chinese brands like Lenovo instead, or American brands like Dell and HP.

Maybe a patriotism campaign is needed, to get Indian consumers to buy Indian, which will reduce the trade deficit and lift a massive burden from the Government's finances.

like India has the technological know-how and industrial capability to 'copy'```kid how can you study at LSE while have no idea that India is still a primitive factor driven economy?

I don't blame you for holding such views - since the media in your nation is state controlled and access to information is limited. Maybe in a few generations, your great great grandchildren will know what really goes on in the civilized world - and that there is more to life than sewing shoes for Americans 16 hrs/day in return of a bowl of rice.

If India already manufactures these things, then why does India have such an enormous trade deficit to China? Why are Chinese companies taking the number 1 spot in Indian markets?

I agree, India could probably make these things themselves if they put some effort into doing so.

But the Indian consumers are buying Chinese brands like Lenovo instead, or American brands like Dell and HP.

Maybe a patriotism campaign is needed, to get Indian consumers to buy Indian, which will reduce the trade deficit and lift a massive burden from the Government's finances.

It's an open market, we cannot stifle sales and curtail consumer requirements if we cannot manufacture them ourselves. It will be going back to the license raj era. We are already being bombarded with arguments as to why we have not reduced the trade restrictions for other products.

India does manufacture all the products what China does but not in enough quantities to fulfill market demands, as to pc and laptop sales as I said the software, R&D and innovation advantage is with the West and to an extent Japan and the hardware manufacturing advantage is with you guys - no Indian manufacturer can compete with you on cost and they take the easy route out and import it. and, we know the reasons and the shortfalls for not able to match up the costs, which can never be implemented in India.

I don't blame you for holding such views - since the media in your nation is state controlled and access to information is limited. Maybe in a few generations, your great great grandchildren will know what really goes on in the civilized world - and that there is more to life than sewing shoes for Americans 16 hrs/day in return of a bowl of rice.

Sorry mate our media dont really talk much of india, our views of india is mainly from your beloved western media:rofl:

your indian assumption is just simply amussing, your country's industrial capability will be lucky to match 25% of China's

well i'm not gonna waste time of trying to convince you that India just cant make anything high tech of its own,
try to download the full PDF report have a nice read how backward India is when put in the real world, not your Indian delusion
Global Competitiveness Report 2012-2013 | World Economic Forum - Global Competitiveness Report 2012-2013
scorll to page 10, it shows India is at the same stage of Chad, Kenya, ethiopia and etc

and page 198 of detailed analysis

doesnt make sense as in fact India is the world biggest producer of fake drugs, and Indian businessmen have horrible reputation world wide of being unethical

Exactly right

French minister threatens to expel Arcelor Mittal

Arcelor Mittal is no longer welcome in France, its minister for industrial recovery, has said, accusing the steelmaker of "lying" and "disrespecting" the country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20496780

Sorry mate our media dont really talk much of india, our views of india is mainly from your beloved western media:rofl:

Exactly right

Arcelor Mittal is no longer welcome in France, its minister for industrial recovery, has said, accusing the steelmaker of "lying" and "disrespecting" the country.

BBC News - French minister threatens to expel Arcelor Mittal

Well, from what I understand - even western news sources are often banned in China. NY Times for example. So no, as a society China hasn't evolved yet to be even compared to us. But as I said - I am hopeful that your great great grand children will not have the state-controlled life that you lead.

No one knew about Lenovo until they bought out IBM's pc business, and Lenovo sells in India based on IBM's badge and it's sales and service network, which was already established in India - not because it's from China - though it's basically from China though.

The interesting question is why doesn't any other Chinese computer brand sell in India apart from lenovo?

The same reason why volvo vehicles sell in India?

The only thing that has to do with IBM within Lenovo is their Think Series, which is designed for business purpose. Anything else such as the Ideapad or the Essentials has nothing to do with IBM, and those two lines are sold extremely well here in the US and worldwide.

Since majority of the R&D centers are located in China, and it's been over 7 years after the acquisition IBM, IBM has already begun losing it's effect in terms of technologies with Lenovo.

Only those who refused to accept the fact Lenovo is doing great will say it's because of IBM :rofl:

Lenovo R&D Locations

Exactly right

BBC News - French minister threatens to expel Arcelor Mittal

The multinational angered workers and the government when it announced a plan in October to close two furnaces at its steel plant in Florange.

It gave the government a grace period of 60 days to look for a new owner.

The Mittal family said they were "extremely shocked" by the comments.

"We no longer want Arcelor Mittal in France because they didn't respect France," Arnaud Montebourg told French business daily Les Echos.

'Mittal's fault'
The minister, who previously opposed the closure of a Peugeot factory, accused the company of "overwhelming lies" and said the Florange closure breaks a promise made by chief executive Lakshmi Mittal during Mittal Steel's 26.9bn-euro (£21.8bn) takeover of Arcelor in 2006, which was strongly opposed by French ministers.

The problem "isn't the furnaces in Florange, it's Mittal", said Mr Montebourg.

Mr Mittal, the Indian-born chief executive, is expected to meet with President Francois Hollande on Tuesday to discuss the group's operations in France.

The talks come ahead of a deadline on Saturday which Mr Mittal gave the state to find a buyer for the two idled blast furnaces in Florange, a traditional steel town in north-eastern France.

The government says it has received two offers, but only for the entire site. Mr Mittal has refused to sell the full operation, which employs a total of 20,000 workers.

Nationalisation?
As a result, Mr Montebourg has said he is exploring how to seize the entire Florange site should Mr Mittal refuse his demands.

According to the French newspaper, Mr Montebourg's idea "would be a partnership with a minor manufacturer, the time to stabilise activity" in Florange.

Jean-Louis Borloo, a conservative politician and a former environment minister, also supported Mr Montebourg's efforts.

"France's steel industry needs to live - there are 2,200 people on the site, 22,000 Arcelor Mittal employees in France and globally, there are 75,000 [employees involved in steel]," he told France Inter radio.

"And the idea that the government, along with its sovereign wealth fund and partners like Eramet and Ascometal (mining and metallurgical groups), reflect upon a temporary state control... does not seem inappropriate."

The Mittal family said they were "extremely shocked" by Mr Montebourg's attacks on the steelmaker.

One person close to the group said: "These are pretty violent comments towards a group that employs 20,000 people in France."

What's the point of this article in this thread??
you want a bunch of counter articles calling Chinese corporations thieves and cheats and indulging in Industrial espionage??

The only thing that has to do with IBM within Lenovo is their Think Series, which is designed for business purpose. Anything else such as the Ideapad or the Essentials has nothing to do with IBM, and those two lines are sold extremely well here in the US and worldwide.

Since majority of the R&D centers are located in China, and it's been over 7 years after the acquisition IBM, IBM has already begun losing it's effect in terms of technologies with Lenovo.

Only those who refused to accept the fact Lenovo is doing great will say it's because of IBM :rofl:

Lenovo R&D Locations

In India it's because of IBM's network of sales and services and the brand image IBM carries...not aware of other countries. If I am not wrong the think series is the backbone of Lenovo's sales in India and sells the most.

and,

I am not disputing the fact that lenovo is a good brand.

:lol: I thought the world considers Chinese products as cr@p, which is actually true..

Wait until India starts to manufacture for the world.

It was not about d!ck measuring, we know we lack manufacturing depth, it was about your fellow Chinese claiming that we cannot manufacture basic stuff that huwaii or zte manufactures even if we are given the source code.

I'd never said you can't manufacture basic stuff, heck even Vietnam can do it. What I'm saying is that all the stuffs India makes are crap even compared to our already "crap" :rofl:

At least our "crap" is sold internationally and snagged a few 1st places in different aspects. Where India has none, and will remain none.

and, I'll forego the toilet comment, because I don't drag in cr@p everywhere like a fly does.

Deleted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom