What's new

Huawei, ZTE ready to give source codes to India

Lenovo has done well. Of all Chinese brands,perhaps it is the most well known. It owes a lot of its success to its successful acquisition of IBM.

Lenovo has done well. Of all Chinese brands,perhaps it is the most well known. It owes a lot of its success to its successful acquisition of IBM.

The only thing that has to do with IBM is the Think Series. Technologies provided by IBM from 2005 has started to get old. And new technologies needs to be implemented in order to compete in today's market. Since most of their R&D centers are located in China, the Think Series is becoming more Chinese day by day as time goes by, although the look of it will remain old-school IBM.

By the way, if I remember correctly, over 50% of Lenovo's products are produced in-house now. Which benefited them a lot during the manufacture process, because if any problems of the designs popped up, Lenovo will know immediately and will correct it right away. Unlike handing jobs to Foxconn where not every problems are reported during the manufacture process, and a contract is required for the number of X product that needs to be made.

That's why during the flood in Thailand last year(?), where over half of the world's hard drives are manufactured, Lenovo easily shifted from making stuffs that requires a hard drive, to something else that doesn't, since they don't have a contract. Which saved them a lot of loss during the incident.

The only thing that has to do with IBM is the Think Series. Technologies provided by IBM from 2005 has started to get old. And new technologies needs to be implemented in order to compete in today's market. Since most of their R&D centers are located in China, the Think Series is becoming more Chinese day by day as time goes by, although the look of it will remain old-school IBM.

By the way, if I remember correctly, over 50% of Lenovo's products are produced in-house now. Which benefited them a lot during the manufacture process, because if any problems of the designs popped up, Lenovo will know immediately and will correct it right away. Unlike handing jobs to Foxconn where not every problems are reported during the manufacture process, and a contract is required for the number of X product that needs to be made.

That's why during the flood in Thailand last year(?), where over half of the world's hard drives are manufactured, Lenovo easily shifted from making stuffs that requires a hard drive, to something else that doesn't, since they don't have a contract. Which saved them a lot of loss during the incident.

I don't doubt their manufacturing prowess or the fact that they have kept their product line up to date. But how many people outside China had heard of Lenovo before they bought IBM? They got access to markets and supply chains which would have taken them years to build. This is besides leveraging the goodwill of the IBM Think pad brand.

I don't doubt their manufacturing prowess or the fact that they have kept their product line up to date. But how many people outside China had heard of Lenovo before they bought IBM? They got access to markets and supply chains which would have taken them years to build. This is besides leveraging the goodwill of the IBM Think pad brand.

I'm not trying to take credits away from IBM, as they're the one who helped Lenovo to become a well-known brand in a short period of time, but you need to understand IBM also gave Lenovo other fields of troubles too. It's not like acquiring a name brand company will make Lenovo fly, no.

IBM's PC department was failing to compete with other vendors, and Lenovo is the one who picked up it up and revived the Think Series from death, where IBM couldn't do it themselves.

Not every company can do that, and snagged the crown in PC market share at the same time.

And as to why Lenovo wasn't well known before buying off IBM, it's because Lenovo was called Legend Computers before it hit the outside market of China. 2003 is the year they went abroad, and changed their name to Lenovo, then acquired IBM within two years. Therefore it's no surprise that Lenovo wasn't well known during that two year period when it just barely reached outside of China.

Those who kept saying no one knew Lenovo before they bought IBM, is just giving themselves excuses. If Lenovo wasn't doing well in the first place, it wouldn't have to power to buy off IBM whatsoever.

And as to why Lenovo wasn't well known before buying off IBM, it's because Lenovo was called Legend Computers before it hit the outside market of China. 2003 is the year they went abroad, and changed their name to Lenovo, then acquired IBM within two years. Therefore it's no surprise that Lenovo wasn't well known during that two year period when it just barely reached outside of China.

I remember seeing this brand name everywhere while I was growing up.

It was the correct strategy for them to take the domestic market first before expanding aggressively overseas.

What is the point of being number 1 in foreign markets while your own domestic markets are ruled by foreign companies?

I don't think i have ever heard of Legend Computers or Lenovo prior acquiring IBM hardware division. When news spread online about the purchase it was the first time i started to know this brand (perhaps i have heard of this name once before can't really remember). I do remember that Lenovo decided to continue the name IBM thinkpad to sell laptops because it was already a well known brand name. After a few years they decided it was time to replace it with their own name. To this day there are plenty of people in EU who has never heard of Lenovo before but that's slowly starting to change.

I remember seeing this brand name everywhere while I was growing up.

It was the correct strategy for them to take the domestic market first before expanding aggressively overseas.

What is the point of being number 1 in foreign markets while your own domestic markets are ruled by foreign companies?

Lenovo is certainly in the right track. They've made it to the top a lot faster than what other vendors has expected. Especially HP :lol:

I don't think i have ever heard of Legend Computers or Lenovo prior acquiring IBM hardware division. When news spread online about the purchase it was the first time i started to know this brand (perhaps i have heard of this name once before can't really remember). I do remember that Lenovo decided to continue the name IBM thinkpad to sell laptops because it was already a well known brand name. After a few years they decided it was time to replace it with their own name. To this day there are plenty of people in EU who has never heard of Lenovo before but that's slowly starting to change.

Part of the deal was that Lenovo would be allowed to use the "Thinkpad" name for 5 years only.

Back
Top Bottom