What's new

How Urdu language was imposed on the people of Punjab by the British colonialists

73395334_2900634393292675_7461118995068878848_o.jpg

190px-General.TikkaKhan.jpg

Those are some really nice separatist ideas you got there
would be a shame if
I would whip out my FLASHLIGHT

No urdu was formed before british came and urdu was official everywhere in subconginent.
Muslim were not into persian or arabic thats why they lost its grip in subcontinent.

We the muslims in Punjab never cared about the gangu people of UP/Bihar and their sh1tty languages before 1849 annexation of Punjab by the British, whereas Dari/Farsi and Arabic were always well known and studied by muslims in punjab.

Actually this article re-verifies the theory that today's "urdu" actually originated in Lahore. Dr Graham Baily also made the same claim even though he is not referenced. The name "Hindavi" refers to Hind or the Indus. Very amusing to see the Indians celebrating so fast.
Actually this article re-verifies the theory that today's "urdu" actually originated in Lahore. Dr Graham Baily also made the same claim even though he is not referenced. The name "Hindavi" refers to Hind or the Indus. Very amusing to see the Indians celebrating so fast with their delusional belief it originated in Delhi. The arguments in this article list it to not have been spoken there before arriving from westwards. The name of the language says it mostly.

Why is everything that the British do automatically considered bad? The British were a Godsend for Muslims of Punjab. They liberated the Muslims through the Anglo-Sikh wars.
British policy was to promote higher religious consciousness among Indian Muslims, especially those in Punjab. True, that was for their own colonialist interests, but how is higher religious consciousness a bad thing from an Islamic perspective?
You do realize that before the British, Muslims of India were largely kachay Musalman, drowning in syncretism. The British encouraged Muslims to think of themselves as Muslims and not Indians. That's why they promoted Urdu in Punjab so that Muslims would not see themselves as being the same Qaum as Hindu and Sikh Punjabis.
Don't get me wrong, I'm part Punjabi myself and Punjabi is a beautiful language, but Urdu is our identity. The more I study British policy in India the more I admire them

The point is it was already spoken there prior to British rule. In fact on of it's pre-urdu name was indeed Lahori.

Wo kahawat hai naa---
ab pachtawat hot kya, jab chiriya chug gayi khet.
Bhyyafication of Pakistan is a done n dusted reality now.
Even the achakzai guys hating on urdu, ironically communicated his thoughts in urdu,,,, this testifies tht the Total Bhayyafication of non bhayya Pakistan is complete n beyond redemption.
so speak like bhayya, live like bhayya,,,,,,, be BHAYYAFOREVER.Its ur reality.
PS- A heartfelt thanks to our trojans,,, u have accomplished somthng that was never done before in last thousands of years,,I.e non bhayya population of Pakistan speaking fluently in a bhayya language.
And consequently providing us a tool/medium(an umbilical cord per se) to have major influence on Pak society. Thank you Bhayyajees.

Last edited:
Wo kahawat hai naa---
ab pachtawat hot kya, jab chiriya chug gayi khet.
Bhyyafication of Pakistan is a done n dusted reality now.
Even the achakzai guys hating on urdu, ironically communicated his thoughts in urdu,,,, this testifies tht the Total Bhayyafication of non bhayya Pakistan is complete n beyond redemption.
so speak like bhayya, live like bhayya,,,,,,, be BHAYYAFOREVER.Its ur reality.

I predict that baboon Achakzai will be "neutralized" soon by our wonderful ISI. Insha Allah
And likewise that donkey face Pashteen

Punjab, Punjabi and Urdu, the Question of Displaced Identity: A Historical Appraisal
By Tahir Kamran Government College University, Lahore

Colonialism was an all-pervasive phenomenon, subjugating 87 percent of the globe by 1914 and the Sub-Continent of course was no exception. It signified colossal change in the realms of economy and polity as well as administration, which attracted sufficient attention of the historians markedly from nationalist persuasion. However, the ascendancy of Marxist brand of historiography in India provided a deviation to the much-treaded and exclusionary path that the discourse of history had been coursing along si

Another pathetic attack on Urdu that quotes some nobody Chatterjee Chooterjee to say that Punjabis are supposed to hate Urdu. If you want to question how/why Urdu came to be adapted by Punjabis then lets start with Persian? Or how about we go all the way up to Sanskrit?

Urdu is the national language of Pakistan and will remain so. Yes there are beautiful regional languages and we will protect them but Urdu will remain our national language. These Hindus will never get out of their inferiority complex. People of the region that is now Pakistan gave them their religion, their holy books and their identity. While we have moved on better things they are still stuck and crying about thousand year rule.

Back
Top Bottom