What's new

How realistic is UNSC permanent seat for India???

What? NATO not wanting to alienate world opinion and be seen as to act unilaterally? No I don't. UNSC is still the fount of legitimacy and legality in such international situations.

Also, the P5+1 represents the so-called "great powers" of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_power

The P5+1 combined, hold the greatest amount of diplomatic power on the planet. That is why the UNSC counts.

That is why the International media always talks about the P5+1. Until another organization can somehow rival the political influence of the UNSC members combined, then it will stay this way.

^^ Can't you see the charade of it all?

The stamp is taken when it suits, ignored when it doesn't.

I personally think this UN system has failed to deliver mostly. It is just a talk shop while the real business happens elsewhere.

Remember how the UN 'Un-nazied' the world... from the clutches of Charlie Chaplin... that German Detector? :tongue:

But in practical terms, it is working real fine! The UN is like that Mercedes that gives you a higher right over pedestrians and smaller cars. Everyone knows you have money so you can bully. That is what the UN is all about.

To get that Mercedes, you should have that kind of money. Get that money, and it will be presented to you in a platter. Otherwise....

OK but from I stand it looks more like a peevish child who got rejected from a neighbourhood boy's club, then pouting afterwards about how the club wasn't going to be that fun anyways.

I am sure it would seem that way.

Doesn't take away from the fact that the club really sucked.

Also, the P5+1 represents the so-called "great powers" of the world.

Great power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The P5+1 combined, hold the greatest amount of diplomatic power on the planet. That is why the UNSC counts.

That is why the International media always talks about the P5+1. Until another organization can rival the political influence of all the UNSC members combined, then it will stay this way.

Is everyone on the "P5" really a great power?

Today, not in 1945!

Its a case of fragile egos and pusillanimity. It is expected from an entrenched player till he is taken out kicking and screaming. Figuratively. ;)

Today, not in 1945!

Its a case of fragile egos and pusillanimity. It is expected from an entrenched player till he is taken out kicking and screaming. Figuratively. ;)

The EU as headed by France and Germany is still the world richest political entity. GB in it's Atlanticist policies and alignment with the US still welds a great deal of responsibility. I am unsure what India's stance and alignment will be in this world of great power politics. It really doesn't seem to have one and it is not strong enough to have its own stand.

Remember how the UN 'Un-nazied' the world... from the clutches of Charlie Chaplin... that German Detector? :tongue:

But in practical terms, it is working real fine! The UN is like that Mercedes that gives you a higher right over pedestrians and smaller cars. Everyone knows you have money so you can bully. That is what the UN is all about.

To get that Mercedes, you should have that kind of money. Get that money, and it will be presented to you in a platter. Otherwise....

It did nothing of the sort.

The UN was created in 1945 after the WW-2 was already over.

Agree with much of the rest of your post.

Debatable. Those are the countries that are "commonly referred to" as great powers, by the international media.

That article I linked has a huge number of sources, you can check them.

I think that people tend to underestimate Britain and France, they are still very influential.

And on the flip side, I would also say... that people tend to overestimate China. Perceptions of our influence are exaggerated, usually due to media sensationalism.

The EU as headed by France and Germany is still the world richest political entity. GB in it's Atlanticist policies and alignment with the US still welds a great deal of responsibility. I am unsure what India's stance and alignment will be in this world of great power politics. It really doesn't seem to have one and it is not strong enough to have its own stand.

Yes, EU can be a reasonable member in UN. Not three countries from Europe! GB is just an extension of US for all practical purposes as far as UN is concerned.

BTW, India has it's own stand and it may align with different players on different issues. We are no one's ally though everyone's friend.

I personally don't care much for this P5 thingy and India's entry into it. What matters more is empowering Indians in India. The international diplomacy is to protect those interests, it is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Debatable. Those are the countries that are "commonly referred to" as great powers, by the international media.

That article I linked has a huge number of sources, you can check them.

I think that people tend to underestimate Britain and France, they are still very influential.

And on the flip side, I would also say... that people tend to overestimate China. Perceptions of our influence are exaggerated, usually due to media sensationalism.

No one is underestimating anyone or their influence. All I am saying is that the conditions in 2011 are vastly different from those in 1945.

If the UN were to be created now, would it have the same P5?

If it is persisting with that P5, doesn't it show an inability to evolve with the times?

What happens to such creatures is well known.

If the UN were to be created now, would it have the same P5?

No idea, though I guess it would be similar to the current P5.

I think people tend to hype up developing powers like China/India/Brazil... FAR beyond the actual economic/political influence that these countries actually possess. Media sensationalism at its best.

No idea, though I guess it would be similar to the current P5.

I think people tend to hype up developing powers like China/India/Brazil... FAR beyond the actual economic/political influence that these countries actually possess. Media sensationalism at its best.

The UN P5 were decided on the basis of WW-2 results.

It was already clear that Britain and France were no longer Superpowers. Taiwan (ROC) was not a superpower or great power by any means either.

Only USA and USSR were superpowers at that time.

Also, that should not have been the only factor anyway. It was not supposed to be a military alliance.

The UN P5 were decided on the basis of WW-2 results.

It was already clear that Britain and France were no longer Superpowers. Taiwan (ROC) was not a superpower or great power by any means either.

Only USA and USSR were superpowers at that time.

Also, that should not have been the only factor anyway. It was not supposed to be a military alliance.

I was talking about today's world.

Those are the countries, that are commonly referred to as great powers. In today's world.

It is just a useful coincidence that they are already represented as the P5.

This is just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom