What's new

How realistic is UNSC permanent seat for India???

That depend on what isolated mean. Would you say that US was isolated when we veto the condemnation of Israel? NO. Because its just exercising its rights. So China could also do that. As for veto power to any new members, no current P5 would support that.

Veto is no divine right. You can do that. The question is, will you be allowed to?

When your leaders do the cost benefit ratio calculation, this will become clear. Let's see how it evolves. I have no doubt that China will be brought around and will support the proposal.

Not as a leader though!

Possibly not even then as we saw during NSG negotiations. A rule on paper is something, how it works in the real world is something else.

The NSG is a completely different organization. One in which we have no veto power, or any other particular form of leverage.

(The US-India nuclear deal was seen as useful though, in that it allowed a China-Pakistan nuclear deal as well.)

The UNSC is a different situation. Veto can be used, but it won't be needed. UN reform requires ratification by all P5 members.

China's current tactic though, seems to be delaying it. The Chinese government recently opposed India's motion for quick UN reforms, for example.

Veto is no divine right. You can do that. The question is, will you be allowed to?

When your leaders do the cost benefit ratio calculation, this will become clear. Let's see how it evolves. I have no doubt that China will be brought around and will support the proposal.

Not as a leader though!

The only possibility is permanent seat with no veto power. Even the US would not support veto power for anyone.

1 more thread on India and UNSC,how many times,guys we have to realize 1 thing,we r not getting inside UNSC,China will never allow it,they will cent per cent sabotage it,and by te way frankly I dont even think that we r ready to be a part of UNSC due to our conservative foreign policies dating back to NAM days,we r even not enough raising voice on world issues.

Anyway we have our card placed inside UNSC,so we can easily find our way even without veto power.

That seems to be the case.

Not one single P5 member, has yet promised to give "veto power" to any other country.

And the Indian folks in here have the attitute that India deserve a permanent seat with veto power. I try to let them know that if India is a country that is indispensible, than others will invite India to join with veto power. Otherwise, India is just like any other country trying to get into UNSC and it will not get any veto power. Even delay ones.

1 more thread on India and UNSC,how many times,guys we have to realize 1 thing,we r not getting inside UNSC,China will never allow it,they will cent per cent sabotage it,and by te way frankly I dont even think that we r ready to be a part of UNSC due to our conservative foreign policies dating back to NAM days,we r even not enough raising voice on world issues.

Anyway we have our card placed inside UNSC,so we can easily find our way even without veto power.

I believe India should try to be part of a temporary member as much as possible. Even none permanent members have more influence than countries that are out of UNSC

I believe India should try to be part of a temporary member as much as possible. Even none permanent members have more influence than countries that are out of UNSC

India is already a non permanent member,and frankly to me UNCS is a toothless organization,it holds no real power rather than flatering about own's status sybol,UNSC for the past some yrs had failed in blocking every movement it tried.

The UN has not been real effective.

To be pragmatic, getting a permanent seat with a veto will only invite enemies since if India honestly addresses issues, they will surely discomfit Nations.

Therefore, why be a fraud in an organisation where none cares what it says.

Actually, UN is a toothless organziation. But UNSC is the real deal and where the power is. Its definitely not a toothless organization. Look at Korean war, 1st gulf war and a lot of peace keeping organzations. Do not be a sour grape. If India is a permanent member with veto power, none of you guys would say the same thing about UNSC. But since india will not get the veto power, you will never agree with me.

And who is that 1.

P5+1, is the five permanent members of the UNSC, plus Germany.

Just read any BBC/CNN article on Iran or North Korea, they will always mention the P5+1 and what they are doing about it.

The International media certainly comsiders the UNSC to be an important organization.

And apparently the Indian government thinks so as well, considering how much effort they are putting in, to acquire a permanent seat.

Actually, UN is a toothless organziation. But UNSC is the real deal and where the power is. Its definitely not a toothless organization. Look at Korean war, 1st gulf war and a lot of peace keeping organzations. Do not be a sour grape. If India is a permanent member with veto power, none of you guys would say the same thing about UNSC. But since india will not get the veto power, you will never agree with me.

Hmmmmmm

What about pokhran-2,they even failed to slap sanction's on us.

What about North korea,What about Iran

The UNSC is even helplessly watching the events unfolding in Libya with all those talks about no flying zones,whats the actual power.

They can effective only against some hapless nation,after Pokhran we brought the UNSC to its knees virtually,all Thanks to Russia and France(this is why i call this organization toothless,the same veto make it toothless)

All those sanction's against us even not stayed there for atleast half a decade,so what power actually they hold

P5+1, is the five permanent members of the UNSC, plus Germany.

Just read any BBC/CNN article on Iran or North Korea, they will always mention the P5+1 and what they are doing about it.

The International media certainly comsiders the UNSC to be an important organization.

And apparently the Indian government thinks so as well, considering how much effort they are putting in, to acquire a permanent seat.

Definitily everyone consider UNSC an important organization due to the status associated with it,frankly UNSC is just an another jewel for floundering the status.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom