What's new

How many years for promotion in Pakistan Army?

Hoping for best, Please pray as we aren't capable of joining any armed forces without Allah Will.

Army is a career of continuous studying and courses.

Its starts from Young officers course at start of career and ends around War Course in NDU. Some courses are career making, like staff course in Quetta. If you dont do Staff Course, you will retire as a major.

1.Keep getting good grades in courses which come your way or the CO recommends you to attend.
2. Keep ACR clean throughout and a high OEI(officer efficiency Index)
3. Stay Category-A medically throughout.

Some efficient ones also:

4. Volunteer for hard area postings at every level of career.( i have seen a Brigade commander(25+ years of service) do this and then reached level of Corps Commander. The same 5 Corps commander whose convoy was attacked in Karachi)

5. Lead from the front in Military excercises (a CO (20 years of service atleast) i know was the leading man to jump into the river for a river crossing excercise followed by participating elements of his unit)
thank you this is very informative info... i have a question of sorts....how much chance a guy has for reaching Colonel/Brigadier rank if he passes out as a 26 year old 2Lt (of a long course)? would his age put a limit on his career growth even if he follows above mentioned guidelines? how great a role the the age factor plays in determining promotions?
(im seriously considering to make a life long career out of army service and im currently deciding between long course and short course commission. i would be really grateful for your help and guidance.)
Cheers

thank you this is very informative info... i have a question of sorts....how much chance a guy has for reaching Colonel/Brigadier rank if he passes out as a 26 year old 2Lt (of a long course)? would his age put a limit on his career growth even if he follows above mentioned guidelines? how great a role the the age factor plays in determining promotions?
(im seriously considering to make a life long career out of army service and im currently deciding between long course and short course commission. i would be really grateful for your help and guidance.)
Cheers
2Lt is usually in age range of 19-21. From where did u get the figure of 26 years?

Those who join through short service or AMC doctors or do TCC as cadets are directly commissioned as Captains

2Lt is usually in age range of 19-21. From where did u get the figure of 26 years?

Those who join through short service or AMC doctors or do TCC as cadets are directly commissioned as Captains
well upper age limit for applying for l\c is 24 if you are a graduate...so if one is 24 when he joins PMA he would be 26 after completing his 2 year training there...and i think SSC limits your field to your specialization (eg if you are a doctor you'll stay in medical corps. throughout your career)

well upper age limit for applying for l\c is 24 if you are a graduate...so if one is 24 when he joins PMA he would be 26 after completing his 2 year training there...and i think SSC limits your field to your specialization (eg if you are a doctor you'll stay in medical corps. throughout your career)

If somebody is 24,he will be a graduate most probably. It would be suitable for him to join a technical arm and pass out as captain.

Still, if he passes out at age 26 as 2nd Lt. Add 3-4 years till captain. then add 6-7 years of captain, add 8-13 years of major till Lt Col. Thats around around 47-49 years of age as newly promoted Lt Col. Then add 5-7 years as LT Col till either Colonel or Brigadier.
(Some can get directly promoted from Lt Col To Brigadier. Usually its Lt-Col Then Colonel Then Brigadie).
so looking at around 53-54 years as newly promoted Brigadier. In reality some brigadiers retire at this age after spending 8-9 years as brigadier with no chances of further promotion.

If somebody is 24,he will be a graduate most probably. It would be suitable for him to join a technical arm and pass out as captain.

Still, if he passes out at age 26 as 2nd Lt. Add 3-4 years till captain. then add 6-7 years of captain, add 8-13 years of major till Lt Col. Thats around around 47-49 years of age as newly promoted Lt Col. Then add 5-7 years as LT Col till either Colonel or Brigadier.
(Some can get directly promoted from Lt Col To Brigadier. Usually its Lt-Col Then Colonel Then Brigadie).
so looking at around 53-54 years as newly promoted Brigadier. In reality some brigadiers retire at this age after spending 8-9 years as brigadier with no chances of further promotion.
this information is a great deal of help. you have my sincere gratitude sir.

NO.But Technical arms senior posts (Brig and above) are less than fighting/supporting arms.
What do you recommend??? TCC OR LC
I want to ask which career is suitable if a person has good grades.
P.S. (I am in 2nd year, cant decide where to apply......)
Thanks!!!

Thats the main reason I am confused :(

Could you please tell why???
I would really appreciate that :)
If you're fully confident and stuff that you have what it takes to become a brigadier and above , go LC. If you wanna serve your nation in combat while also being an engineer(who after two years can also apply for SSG) go as a TCC to risalpur. Earn money to do a degree for four years then go to PMA for a year only for military training unlike LC who in two years also have to study for their degree in BMAS.

But Lc guys after retirement are mostly property dealers, where as engineers well let's say quite well off
do u want a career in army or thinking about retirement already?

Go to LC if u want to be able to make to Maj-General or above. Lead Troops in battle, command formations.
After retirement.get a job as GM or ED in FFC, FFBL, AWT, Sugar Mills etc

Go to TCC if you want to think about retirement. Reach Brigadier rank (if lucky) and then retire as director in FWO, NLC, PTCL, NTC, PTA, NRTC, HIT etc.

its like buying a corolla over BNW..... because of re-sale.

Make a career in Army mate, through a fighting Arm by joining LC. Go for BMW.

But you want corolla because you are thinking Re-sale (retirement)

Thats the main reason I am confused :(

Could you please tell why???
I would really appreciate that :)

Please read above.

do u want a career in army or thinking about retirement already?

Go to LC if u want to be able to make to Maj-General or above. Lead Troops in battle, command formations.
After retirement.get a job as GM or ED in FFC, FFBL, AWT, Sugar Mills etc

Go to TCC if you want to think about retirement. Reach Brigadier rank (if lucky) and then retire as director in FWO, NLC, PTCL, NTC, PTA, NRTC, HIT etc.

its like buying a corolla over BNW..... because of re-sale.

Make a career in Army mate, through a fighting Arm by joining LC. Go for BMW.

But you want corolla because you are thinking Re-sale (retirement)

Please read above.
Thanks!!!!! You really solved it out bro... :)

If you're fully confident and stuff that you have what it takes to become a brigadier and above , go LC. If you wanna serve your nation in combat while also being an engineer(who after two years can also apply for SSG) go as a TCC to risalpur. Earn money to do a degree for four years then go to PMA for a year only for military training unlike LC who in two years also have to study for their degree in BMAS.
Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom