What's new

How is china constructing expressway so efficiently?

We share our high IQ infrastructure efficiency tech only with friends like Pak, Lanka and Bangla. The rest of you can live with no infrastructure like India or pay for overpriced infrastructure like the US.

China has built its share of wasteful little-utilized infrastructure projects that hardy justify the money that was spent on them, Foremost among these are airports that were built in remote places to promote tourism that never materialized. The airport in Libo, a small city of 166,000 in a beautiful mountainous region of poor Guizhou Province in southern China, cost $57 million and has 50 full time workers but only two flights a week. The airport was built to provide access to a forest reserve with spectacular canyons that was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.

In Chongqing alone 1,600 people have died as a result of shoddy construction. Forty people died after falling 460 feet when the steel-and-concrete Rainbow Bridge over the Qijang River near Chongqing collapsed. An investigation uncovered faulty welding, $12,000 in bribes given to officials to overlook problems and allow project to exceed its budget. Some of the siphoned-off money was used to build a karaoke parlor with scantily clad girls. Less than a week later, another bridge collapsed in Fujian Province, killing seven people In both cases government officials were arrested on charges of corruption and using shoddy materials.

more reading here: http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=326&catid=12

not to burst your bubble. I do not like arrogance. China has started in the right path but has a long way to go before you can claim your IQ being far superior.

haha ,enjoy yourself.:cheers:
1, if you give enough money to the land owners ,they will no longer let such excuse for your delay exist.and ,of cause a better location selection, our highways are built far from the villeges in order not to bother them much.
2, tell me how many times your land price is that of ours.
3, we have corruption, too.
4, tell me how many times your worker salary is that of ours.
how many more excuses do you have?

See brother I don't want to argue as arguing a chinese will lead me a bann and chinese will keep enjoying PDF...

India, Pakistan, BD, Lanka can not execute projects like 3-goerge dam, coz of free press, freedom of expression, freedom of demonstration. There are many projects in these country which was scraped/Delayed due to public anger (Kalabag Dam, Narmada Dam, Koel-Karo projects).

There are many projects in India which is delayed coz of compensation issue. Its really wonderful to know china has no such issue.. (Or china oppress who raise the voice?) .

Nothing wrong with labor camp! Convicted criminals should be sent to work, instead of watching TV in tiny cells to waste tax payers' money.

Plus, working can boost self esteem and teach new skills to prepare life after prison.

Too bad, China is now abolishing labor camp due to stupid liberal human rights groups voicing criticism, as if watching TV all day on tax payers' money is human right.

I agree that prisoners should pay for their stay instead of relying on Tax payer's money.

Except America learned and moved on Chinese still employ slave tactics. :coffee:

America worry too much about the rights of criminals and trample on the rights of the victims.

See brother I don't want to argue as arguing a chinese will lead me a bann and chinese will keep enjoying PDF...

India, Pakistan, BD, Lanka can not execute projects like 3-goerge dam, coz of free press, freedom of expression, freedom of demonstration. There are many projects in these country which was scraped/Delayed due to public anger (Kalabag Dam, Narmada Dam, Koel-Karo projects).

There are many projects in India which is delayed coz of compensation issue. Its really wonderful to know china has no such issue.. (Or china oppress who raise the voice?) .

you can predict a delay and a cost increase due to compensation issue.why don't you try to spend some money would be lost for the delay .once you decided to finish the project,why don't you make full efforts to do it?their is a balance between cost increase due to delay and the compensation increase to avoid delay.i think the latter is more affordable.
about mega projects like Three Gorges Dam,yes it would hurt somebody's small benifit.but it would bring benifit to tens of millions people.if we paid the ones who would be hurt well ,why should they refuse to move?shall we cancel a project that will benifit the whole country to meet several persons' willing? here still a balance ,balance between benifit majority and some individuals.we moved more than 1 million people for the three gorges dam,built now houses ,schools,hospitals for them,that is what no other country or govt can do in the world.
if you want to delay ,it is your choice, not ours. our aim is to achieve national prosperity in one generation time,nobody should be the obstacle of it.
20110805093725812521.jpg

I was going by this
"The total costs of the national expressway network are estimated to be 2 trillion yuan (some 240 billion US dollars). From 2005 to 2010, the annual investment was planned to run from 140 billion yuan (17 billion US dollars) to 150 billion yuan (18 billion US dollars), while from 2010 to 2020, the annual investment planned is to be around 100 billion yuan (12 billion US dollars)."
Expressways of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It only tell you the national expressway invested by central government. But in China 85% expressway invested by provincial government.

China investment in road infrature is 1238 billion Yuan in 2011, and more than 700 billion Yuan invest in expressway
include national expressway and provincial expressway.
http://futures.hexun.com/2011-12-31/136875048.html

In 2012, China poorest province GuiZhou invest 103.9 billion Yuan in expressway ,what a joke the whole country only 150 billion investment...
http://as.loupan.com/html/news/201212/593039_2.html

It only tell you the national expressway invested by centre government. But in China 85% expressway invested by provincial government.

China investment in road infrature is 1238 billion Yuan in 2011, and more than 700 billion Yuan invest in express include national expressway and provincial expressway.
????201112»?-??-?

I cant read the link.

However even at 700 billion Yuan = 112 Billion USD, that's incredibly low for expressway standard construction.

I cant read the link.

However even at 700 billion Yuan = 112 Billion USD, that's incredibly low for expressway standard construction.

1, China investment statistics doesnt include land compensation, it is only cost of construction.

2, China cement price only half of US's.

3, China has The scale and efficiency.

Wow ....incredble low....I would like to see the average cost of expressway in your India, you know "average"?

1, China investment statistics doesnt include compensation, it is only cost of construction.

2, China cement price only half of US's.

3, China has The scale and efficiency.

I would like to see the average cost of expressway in your India, you know "average"?

Not sure about India, the average in Sri lanka is $12,000 USD per meter.

Not sure about India, the average in Sri lanka is $12,000 USD per meter.

$12,000 USD per meter? similiar as in China.it depends on terrains,in some hilly areas,the cost would be doubled .
can you give some pics of expressway in your country?here is ours.
2599038_163905002157_2.jpg

508349_081553483250_2.jpg

2599038_114843052_2.jpg

$12,000 USD per meter? similiar as in China.it depends on terrains,in some hilly areas,the cost would be doubled .
can you give some pics of expressway in your country?here is ours.
2599038_163905002157_2.jpg

508349_081553483250_2.jpg

2599038_114843052_2.jpg

China expressways seem to be of a similar standard to SL. And I also appreciate how the government decided to construct 4 lane expressway's instead of making 6 lane, 8 lane highways out of whim without any study into projected traffic volumes.

Like this highway below in SL, was built with 4 lanes, with provision set for 8 lanes. I.e this highway can easily be upgraded to 6 lanes then to 8 in short period of time, without touching any overpasses, bridges or 'permanent structures' besides the guard rails and hard shoulders.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Galle_Expressway15.jpg

I posted a video timelapse earlier, but here it is again.

So $11000/M compare to $12000/M is incredble low? .................You know math?

I find India expressway cost...only $2000/M

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/plan-panel-yet-to-decide-on-hike-in-construction-cost/711649
What is the cost of constructing 1KM of road ?

I apologize didn't do the maths. With the revised budget figures, now it makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is china constructing expressway so efficiently? They added some 11,000 km of expressway last year with a budget of just roughly $20 Billion USD.

Is their something different with the build quality of the expressway? because from what I gather, its 11,000 of access controlled legit expressways. How is it possible to construct it so efficiently or am I mistaken that they are expressways?

their quality might be not so good, but we have enough workers to do the maintenance
in china most expressway are not toller free
road companies could make a big amount of money in a long term from the expressway network

so "profit at sight" should be the only reason why them can be built in a short time

I cant read the link.

dude you need to seriously get your math fixed before you raise any question. $112 billion for 10,000 km in 2011, which comes to an average cost of $10+ million/per km, is more than enough to build decent expressways, even in East Europe. However, I am not sure if the $112 billion was spent in 2011 alone, the exact amount might be slightly lower. The projects started in 2011 will cost more than $250 billion in total over the next few years.

To answer your initial question, when we are comparing China to US, labor/regulation/land acquisition cost are significant reasons behind the huge disparities between overall costs. However, when comparing SL to China, this may not be the case. China has a few advantages in terms of cost reduction that SL does not have, mainly 1, the scale of the projects; extremely large number of projects are underway in China at the same time, this saves a lot of money because China is able to allocate the sources more efficiently and 2. China has been able to build the whole industry chain for highway/subway/HSR construction; A lot of equipments will be extremely expensive for SL to rent from European companies (buying is prohibitively expensive), but China produces such equipment at a much lower cost. 3. China has trained massive amount of engineers in the construction area, while SL may have to hire European experts who charge a ridiculous amount; you can never imagine how much extra cost caused by hiring experts to do your job. Due to such reasons, even if SL labor might be lower, it could probably cost more to build similar roads in SL, since a lot of money just goes to those higher on the supply ladder.

The mind blowing construction speed of Chinese expressways is mostly due to its financing scheme. Unlike US, China does not adopt a federal financing policy through fuel tax. Chinese central government allows provincial and municipal governments to corporate with private companies to jointly build and operate the expressways, and *collect tolls*. Chinese expressways are money printing machines as the profit is so huge that everyone is trying to get a piece of the cake. This of course comes at the cost of all Chinese, and is hampering the even distribution of Chinese economy to an extent.

Back
Top Bottom