What's new

How is china constructing expressway so efficiently?

Sinhala

BANNED
Reaction score
How is china constructing expressway so efficiently? They added some 11,000 km of expressway last year with a budget of just roughly $20 Billion USD.

Is their something different with the build quality of the expressway? because from what I gather, its 11,000 of access controlled legit expressways. How is it possible to construct it so efficiently or am I mistaken that they are expressways?

because it's not 20billion,it's 70billion dollars.

I was going by this
"The total costs of the national expressway network are estimated to be 2 trillion yuan (some 240 billion US dollars). From 2005 to 2010, the annual investment was planned to run from 140 billion yuan (17 billion US dollars) to 150 billion yuan (18 billion US dollars), while from 2010 to 2020, the annual investment planned is to be around 100 billion yuan (12 billion US dollars)."
Expressways of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they have the money, the expertise and most importantly, the will to do it. Z
Something South Asian government never seem to have unless there is something in it for them.

they have the money, the expertise and most importantly, the will to do it. Z
Something South Asian government never seem to have unless there is something in it for them.

I mean SL has expressways, but the cost is so dam high for access controlled expressways, due to the regulations attaining to E class roads, also the corrupt Engineers making more money than politicians. Like this one cost cool a $1 Billion USD

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean SL has expressways, but the cost is so dam high for access controlled expressways, due to the regulations attaining to E class roads, also the corrupt Engineers making more money than politicians. Like this one cost cool a $1 Billion USD
[video=youtube;v-ahKv96PQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ahKv96PQs[video]

It is hard to compare the cost in general. It depends on a lot of factors such as number bridges and other grading that needs to be done to make the 3% incline work for an international standard expressway.

However Chinese cost per km is not too low, instead may be on the high side with $1.88 million. (with $20 billion for 11,000 km total).

Pakistani motor way (Lahore-Islamabad) a 6 lane highway that crosses huge rivers and canals cost $1.3 million per km back in 1999.

A typical US expressway costs around $1.5 to $1.8 mil per km

So considering this, Sri lanka southern expressway is way too expensive for $7.8 mil per km (if the $1 billion for 128 km is true).

Something doesn't make sense for the S lanka project.

peace

1) they have copied bulk of the designs from other places so very low money for R&D
2) the government is all powerful and does not need to satisfy anyone in terms of "buying" the land from the people for the roads as it happens in most other countries. it can take it at will.
3) biggest cost cutter - very low cost of labor (not necessarily by willful acceptance by the workers)

Question to my Chinese counterparts - does china have unions like we have who lobby for higher wages? hows that treated there?

How is china constructing expressway so efficiently? They added some 11,000 km of expressway last year with a budget of just roughly $20 Billion USD.

Is their something different with the build quality of the expressway? because from what I gather, its 11,000 of access controlled legit expressways. How is it possible to construct it so efficiently or am I mistaken that they are expressways?

let me try to answer your questions.
1. about the speed.11,000 in 9.6 million Square kilometers lands and for 1.3 billion people is not very much when you focus your power on infrastructure.two main reasons:
firstly,most of the expressways are owned by the govt, which means sufficient funds for construction.and we are a dictatorship country,officials don't have to worry about their votes,measure standards of the officials' achievement is what they do in economic construction,in which the most obvious is the GDP and the infrastructure.so we never lack of shining buildings and huge bridges,good or not.
secondly,efficiency and profitability. for the construction companies, the faster their speed is , the more money they earn.
2.the cost.the materials and labor costs are lower than other countries.but our expressway network in the eastern region is already near saturation,the new roads are mostly in the middle and west part of China ,which is full of mountains and rivers.bridges and tunnels are everywhere,so the cost is higher.
3.about the quality.most are good,but it is undeniable that there are some desperadoes who take the risk for money.

Question to my Chinese counterparts - does china have unions like we have who lobby for higher wages? hows that treated there?

Lobby for wages ---> you work without wages in the labor camps :tup:

to OP: your numbers are inaccurate. China spent more than $60 Billion on expressway construction in 2012 alone (about 10% decrease compared to 2011), and the total investment for expressway projects started in 2012 alone will exceed $200 billion.

It costs about 30-40 million RMB or about $5-6 million per km to build a typical Chinese expressway, and in mountainous regions you can easily expect a double or even triple cost.

A typical US expressway costs around $1.5 to $1.8 mil per km

there is no way to build any expressway in the states at such cost. typical cost would be over $10 million per km and can be easily over $20 million per km if a bridge is included in the budget. as a matter of fact, some of the low-cost highways I've seen in the mid-west can brag about $1.5 million per LANE per mile 10 years ago.

company have more than 25 workers should have a Trade Union according to our laws.but ours don't play the role as significant as yours. they are more like a puppet of leaders:cheesy:.and their basic job is organizing various activities such as parties and group travels, delivering employee benefits during the festivals......

Lobby for wages ---> you work without wages in the labor camps :tup:

Nothing wrong with labor camp! Convicted criminals should be sent to work, instead of watching TV in tiny cells to waste tax payers' money.

Plus, working can boost self esteem and teach new skills to prepare life after prison.

Too bad, China is now abolishing labor camp due to stupid liberal human rights groups voicing criticism, as if watching TV all day on tax payers' money is human right.

Back
Top Bottom