What's new

How good are the SSG's

.....(which was doing quite well under the army) .....

QUOTE]

??????

Who said it was doing well under the army?
Army is supposed to defend Pakistan not Rule it. and by the way Last political government was also kind of Army reign. it only stopped when MUSH retired. PM was his guy. and other ministers were also his men.

Folks, this is a thread to discuss SSG. There are many threads for discussing the politics of Pakistan. Please refrain from posting political stuff here as it will be deleted.

@ above.
My apologies for getting a bit emotional.

SSG are the nations's pride

i think it's the SSG what has made president musharraf so strong

long live SSG!!

All well and good they are great etc, etc. But does anyone have substaintiative information about the selection process? Drop-out rates, injuries and deaths in indoctrination training, general philosphiy in selection? Are they looking for the technically proficient, those with the "Killer Instinct", or just people who never quit, no matter the situation? You can make just about anyone a good shot when it comes to paper, but you need good material to make a good operator. To qoute a former Navy Seal:

"
My buddy shares a cubicle with me. He can barely score expert with a carbine, yet killed 22 people in May of 04. One month. Why? Because when he sees badguys he shoots them in the face, whether that takes one round or 100. He sucks on the one way range.

Ive been shooting with him and heard people say things to the effect of " Im surprised, I expected him to be a better shot"

Punching paper is no measure of a warrior.
"

All well and good they are great etc, etc. But does anyone have substaintiative information about the selection process? Drop-out rates, injuries and deaths in indoctrination training, general philosphiy in selection? Are they looking for the technically proficient, those with the "Killer Instinct", or just people who never quit, no matter the situation? You can make just about anyone a good shot when it comes to paper, but you need good material to make a good operator. To qoute a former Navy Seal:

"
My buddy shares a cubicle with me. He can barely score expert with a carbine, yet killed 22 people in May of 04. One month. Why? Because when he sees badguys he shoots them in the face, whether that takes one round or 100. He sucks on the one way range.

Ive been shooting with him and heard people say things to the effect of " Im surprised, I expected him to be a better shot"

Punching paper is no measure of a warrior.
"

SSG has been around for 52 years so the selection process is very well baked and has been working in getting the right kind of people into the SSG.

Attrition rate is still very high. About 10% of the total who volunteer are inducted (I can't disclose the total number). Attrition rate for the officers is different from that of the jawans. In a nutshell its still very hard to get in.
Obviously officers and men who have got hurt during the selection process are sent back to their units and this happens often.

SSG is definitely not about getting a "good-shot" into the service. There is a lot more to it than just finding someone who can aim well from the hip and shoot. There are certain teams within the SSG that specifically focus on these sort of things but SSG's role encompasses a lot more than just teams focusing on expert marksmen.

Intelligence and physical fitness is definitely at the top of the list of requirements for people opting for SSG. As time goes by, the high tech element also increases. The best equipment within the Army goes to the SSG. So technical proficiency is a given. The equipment that is in service, troops have to be proficient on it. But that is the case with any SF unit around.

The selection process includes physical fitness and intelligence/aptitude tests (the selection criteria and testing were based on the US SF model).

SSG has been around for 52 years so the selection process is very well baked and has been working in getting the right kind of people into the SSG.

Attrition rate is still very high. About 10% of the total who volunteer are inducted (I can't disclose the total number). Attrition rate for the officers is different from that of the jawans. In a nutshell its still very hard to get in.
Obviously officers and men who have got hurt during the selection process are sent back to their units and this happens often.

SSG is definitely not about getting a "good-shot" into the service. There is a lot more to it than just finding someone who can aim well from the hip and shoot. There are certain teams within the SSG that specifically focus on these sort of things but SSG's role encompasses a lot more than just teams focusing on expert marksmen.

Intelligence and physical fitness is definitely at the top of the list of requirements for people opting for SSG. As time goes by, the high tech element also increases. The best equipment within the Army goes to the SSG. So technical proficiency is a given. The equipment that is in service, troops have to be proficient on them. But that is the case with any SF unit around.

The selection process includes physical fitness and intelligence/aptitude tests (the selection criteria and testing were based on the US SF model).

When you say "Based on US SF model" Which model are you referring to? Delta has a very different model than the Green Berets, who both have very different models than Force Recon and the Seals. The Seals build a seaman from the ground up to be a special type of SCUBA and amphibious operator, while Delta takes people out of the army light infantry community who have alot of experience under their belt already. The Green Berets specialize in COIN operations and Civil Affairs, and are chosen in large part for their skills with language and medicine as well as fighting ability. Which unit resembles the SSG the most?

When you say "Based on US SF model" Which model are you referring to? Delta has a very different model than the Green Berets, who both have very different models than Force Recon and the Seals. The Seals build a seaman from the ground up to be a special type of SCUBA and amphibious operator, while Delta takes people out of the army light infantry community who have alot of experience under their belt already. The Green Berets specialize in COIN operations and Civil Affairs, and are chosen in large part for their skills with language and medicine as well as fighting ability. Which unit resembles the SSG the most?

The original selection and training of the SSG was based on Green Berets and US Army Rangers. The tests were actually taken verbatum out of the US SF selection process (back then the US had SF (Green Berets only) and Rangers. DF and SEALs as they are known today were not around. The SEALs were simply combat divers in the USN. Some of the initial officers including the officer who set up the SSG were sent to Fort Bragg and also to Coronado (this was in the 50s) to see how the US Special Forces community did things. We picked that up and ran with it.

The SSG's initial role was to be that of a "stay behind" force in case of a Soviet invasion of Pakistan. Over the years, the SSG developed into something of a hybrid in terms of its abilities (it includes formations which suit the role of Rangers and SF forces (infiltration, LRRP, sabotage and intelligence gathering and then it also has capabilities and taskings similar to Delta's CT role and dedicated combat divers similar to Navy Seals (however I believe the Naval SSG is more in line with the role of the USN Seals).

does anyone know much about the ssgn? is it quite similar to the ssg? and considering all the operations that have been going around the last couple of years, do the ssgn take any part in them for example things that may be going on in waziristan? and do the ssg have any marine experience as wel, or are the ssgn the only ones with marine training?

SSG/N were established in 1967. They are responsible for operations in the littoral waters whereas the Army SSG is responsible for operations in tributaries in-land etc. if the need arises. As far as I know, SSG/N have not been deployed in Waziristan etc., however they have been very active as part of CTF 150 patrolling Arabian sea, Persian gulf and conducting VBSS type operations.

SSG/A maintains its own combat diver capability which is aside from that of the SSG/N..

Blain what are those markings behind the SSG symbol and whats there significance?

Iit looks like old British Army regiments badges.

Chief visiting SSG hq at Cherat along with GOC SSG Maj Gen Tahir Mahmood:
http://www.ispr.gov.pk/images/Big Images/11-July-2008.jpg

Wanted to point out the standard PA issued boots that the chief is wearing vs. the ruggedized boots for SSG use.

Blain, those just look like full grain leather boots (which would be better for wet conditions but warm for hotter conditions) and desert combat boots (That the cheif is wearing) Different boots fors different conditions.

Blain what are those markings behind the SSG symbol and whats there significance?

Iit looks like old British Army regiments badges.

JK --> signifies the military history of the area. a lot of famous british regiments have passed through the NWFP (as u know). i am glad the history has been preserved.

JK --> signifies the military history of the area. a lot of famous british regiments have passed through the NWFP (as u know). i am glad the history has been preserved.

Actually JK there are a few regiments linked to a few that you might know.

For example the 11th Battalion The Baloch regiment, 1st Battalion the Sind regiment and the 2nd and 13th regiment the Frontier force regiment. Are all linked to the Rifles regiment

Back
Top Bottom