What's new

How Far Behind Modernization of Bangladesh Armed Forces

So, why BD GDP is still smaller than Pakistan? It is because west Pakistan had a headstart in 1971. When BD had less than $10b GDP, Pakistan had more than $15b GDP. BD GDP was smaller then by about 35%, and now it is 20% behind. I hope you understand the significance. Our GDP will be about $500 billion in the next 12 years. So, will BD be behind Pakistan that time when the latter's GDP is rising only @3% per anum? My calculation says Pakistan GDP will be about $420 billion after 12 years, 17.5% less than BD's.
I don't know what sources you are using. But Pakistan's GDP is projected to increase by 5.8% for 2018-2019, this is according to World Bank's estimate.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1369588

And it will only accelerate more due to $64 billion investment for China-Pakistan Corridor, which will increase regional connectivity, the TAPI pipeline project, the Iran-Pakistan pipeline and the decrease in terrorism and Afghan refugees.

What is your GDP? Current, don't give predictions like you did with that 2030 military prediction! Also, I saw many BD posters claiming that! for reference, read bilal9 posts!

I don't know how old he is or other BD members, but sometimes their claims are highly childish and laughable!

I believe what is childish or laughable is the trolling attitude here.

This is no one's dawat, garden party or mushaira to shoot the bull over biryani and paya and dispensing rank misconceptions or obtuse inaccuracies about Bangladesh Army, Navy, Air Force in dismissive fashion. To expect anything else from this collection of mostly uneducated trolls would be quite unorthodox but it continues to amaze sometimes....

Then there are the Bangladeshi folks (still shamelessly East Pakistani in their minds) sycophant yes-men lap-dogs who have over the past forty years succeeded to give Pakistanis a well-deserved lowly opinion about anyone or anything Bangladeshi. Some are practicing their sycophancy right here, right now in PDF. Some of these folks are well-settled in Pakistan for very good reason and for my money, they can very well stay there.

I really don't expect it with most posters' maturity levels here, but how many of them have actually taken a look at recent purchases of armed wings in both countries, for example let's say between the two navies? How many have bothered to look?

For better or worse, this forum has become a breeding ground of name-calling trolls.

Pakistan is run by a massive Fauji complex - members of whom siphon their percentage off of military purchases to pay for their Dubai flats and their wives' Balenciaga purses, in true feudal fashion. There are 'chaurs' in Bangladesh too, but they at least get some work done to feed and educate their poor. I hope there are still some sane people left in Pakistan who realize that you can't feed and clothe people with Babur missiles.

In spite of this 'chory' the Pakistan Navy has had few if any recent purchases or additions whereas the Bangladesh Navy has now easily grown a surface fleet larger than that of Pakistan Navy, albeit sans modern subs or ASW aviation.

Why is this a surprise and why the hate?

On second thought - don't bother to answer. Spare us your opinions. We already know.

Rather than wanting to start another silly flame war you could have got the information you sought every easily. but for your reference

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/bangladesh/pakistan

In a nutshell the main points

1. GDP

BD/PK on a 2016 base was $228bn/$278bn. The comparative populations were 162m/193m and GDP per capita was slightly in your favour at $1402/$1441.

BD economy has been growing steadily at around 6% on average for the last 20 years whilst Pakistans have fluctuated.

In 2017 BD edged ahead of you GDP per capita $1538/$1470, see economists report. This trend is likely to continue in BDs favour. Surpassing PK GDP in absolute terms will take a few more years if PK economic trend continues. IF PK economy stabilises and BD/PK grows similarly then it is likely that PK will remain the bigger economy in absolute terms. PWC estimates (link in the population section) that in 2050 economy on PPP basis will be $3.1tn/“$4.2tn. Your economy will be 33% larger than ours but with a 50% higher population the average BD will be richer than an average PK.

https://www.economist.com/news/asia...t-bangladeshs-gdp-person-now-higher-pakistans

2. Population

BD/PK population was 162m/193m in 2016, however in 1990 we had the larger population and the numbers were 107m/105m. PWC (link attached) projects population in 2050 to be 202/309. your population will be 50% more than us.

We spend similar amount percentage wise in education but we spend more on health. Difference in life expectancy between BD/PK using 2015 as a base is 72 years/ 66 Years... the average BD lives more than half a decade longer than a average PK.

https://www.pwc.com/world2050

However its not all rosy news for us as our population density is amongst the highest in the world at 1104 per sq km compared to only 243 for you. This will worsen for us and without much space climate change challenges would be significant.

However there is the Bangladesh paradox where even with lower level of GDP many of our social indicators are better than our neighbours. This is due to longterm policy decisions to encourage inclusive growth, for details refer to article below.

http://www.effective-states.org/wp-...ESID-Briefing-Paper-27-Bangladesh-Paradox.pdf

3. Debt and Defense

BD/PK debt in absolute terms is £70bn/£188bn on a 2016 base. With a slightly larger economy you are carrying debt burden that is 150% greater than ours. On a per capita basis this is reflected as $435/$974. Debt ratio as a percentage of GDP is 33%/67%. Your capacity to borrow is much less than ours and internationally our credit rating is better, in 2017 national rating were Ba3/B3.

Defence expenditure between BD/PK in 2016 is $3.2bn/$10.1bn. BD is unlikely to ever catch up.

4. Trade

Export in 2016 between BD/PK was $34bn/$20bn and import was $41bn/$47bn. You are running a trade deficit as reflected by forex reserves of $32bn/$12bn in our favour. When you combine this with the huge debt you are carrying, PK has significant challenges in the years ahead.

In terms of doing business BD represents a better destination however in terms of human capital ranking, corruption and competitiveness PK is better than BD.

However in terms of fragility index PK is significantly worse than BD... the 2015 comparison between BD/PK is 92/103.

So to summarise BD economically have already surpassed PK and this gap will only grow. Both nations remain desperately poor and requires good governance and foresight to become developed nations. BD and PK have had different challenges and have responded to them in their own terms.

BD is not a shining beacon of development but it is the birthplace of microcredit and it has despite all the hurdles is progressing. It has long shed the "basket case" image and may one day be called the shinning beacon of development. You and your ilk can continue to hang on to your racial narrative and take comfort in the perception of BD broken by the tumult of partition of 1947 and independence war of 1971, it does not matter, it has not and do not define us or impede our progress.

Please accept my thanks and award for a wonderful, succinct, well-worded post.

0000704_world-class-medals.jpeg

Sad thing is - you are unfortunately wasting your time with the trolls in this forum. They are intellectual infants. They will neither fathom the gravity, nor the immediate relevancy of your post. Those who have seen the future of Pakistan, have rung enough alarm bells and most of them have left for the comfort of the West.

However its not all rosy news for us as our population density is amongst the highest in the world at 1104 per sq km compared to only 243 for you.

They can house some more people compared to us. But even that has its limits. The percentage of arable and therefore settle-able land in Pakistan is much lower than in Bangladesh. People need water and a source of livelihood where they live. Half or more of Pakistan is arid non-arable land which is unusable.

Also - Bangladesh pop. growth is getting to be almost below replacement rate already, unlike Pakistan. If we have negative pop. growth then eventually density will decrease substantially.

Defence expenditure between BD/PK in 2016 is $3.2bn/$10.1bn. BD is unlikely to ever catch up.

Our defence scenario and doctrine is markedly different than theirs. Why would we spend that much and what for? Deterrence and keeping sea lanes open is our goal, not offensive capability.

I see de-nuclearization of weapons in Pakistan's future, the same will be true of India as well. Nuclear weapons don't belong to rogue countries who are either failed economies or who can't even feed their poor. The Western nations will ensure that this happens.

Why we are bringing Pakistan everywhere our economy is growing so our arm forces going to upgraded accordingly. As for navy mordernization if plans goes right then we are matching Pakistan navy or even improving better then Pakistan navy as we are getting 6 modern frigate in next decade along with ongoing induction of others OPV corvette etc.

Forget about US and China, can Pakistan or India become at par with them? In our case, we are at least much better than what we were forced to accept the military status before 1971. East Pakistan had not even one Division of troops. Only 5 Sabre jets, and almost no Navy.

Comparing to those, we are much much stronger now, and 2030 is not very far. By this period, the BAF procurement will take up speed for sure. Please reflect yourself what I said on pre-1971. Tax and export money earned in the east was freely spent in the west also when it is military expenditures as if the money was someone's Bap ka Maal.
Was there any conflict in East?
Most of Pakistani Army strength was built on Help and Equipment from US,no from trillions of dollars earned from mighty bongs.
@Nilgiri i am not good at ecnomics,please help our friend with it.

Most of Pakistani Army strength was built on Help and Equipment from US,no from trillions of dollars earned from mighty bongs.
Did I talk about equipment? Were all the military facilities, training and other amenities also paid by the Uncle Sam? I talked about all the expenditures by the GoP in the west because about 400,000 soldiers were stationed there. The east paid more than half of the salaries, expenses and amenities. But the soldiers were from the west and they spent their money in the west for a long 24 years.

Now, do not call @Nilgiri, do your own math and tell us the result, how much money west stole from the east in the name of Kashmir. You stole our money and now talking about economic might. You are disgusting!!!

The real problem is some Pakistani flagger always tag Indians in order to disprove Bangladeshi posters . Why do you guys need Indians specially this one who only knows how to derail a thread? with off topic rubbish ?
I am just amazed with such absurd behavior from you guys.
Grow some spine and fight alone.

I believe what is childish or laughable is the trolling attitude here.

This is no one's dawat, garden party or mushaira to shoot the bull over biryani and paya and dispensing rank misconceptions or obtuse inaccuracies about Bangladesh Army, Navy, Air Force in dismissive fashion. To expect anything else from this collection of mostly uneducated trolls would be quite unorthodox but it continues to amaze sometimes....

Then there are the Bangladeshi folks (still shamelessly East Pakistani in their minds) sycophant yes-men lap-dogs who have over the past forty years succeeded to give Pakistanis a well-deserved lowly opinion about anyone or anything Bangladeshi. Some are practicing their sycophancy right here, right now in PDF. Some of these folks are well-settled in Pakistan for very good reason and for my money, they can very well stay there.

I really don't expect it with most posters' maturity levels here, but how many of them have actually taken a look at recent purchases of armed wings in both countries, for example let's say between the two navies? How many have bothered to look?

For better or worse, this forum has become a breeding ground of name-calling trolls.

Pakistan is run by a massive Fauji complex - members of whom siphon their percentage off of military purchases to pay for their Dubai flats and their wives' Balenciaga purses, in true feudal fashion. There are 'chaurs' in Bangladesh too, but they at least get some work done to feed and educate their poor. I hope there are still some sane people left in Pakistan who realize that you can't feed and clothe people with Babur missiles.

In spite of this 'chory' the Pakistan Navy has had few if any recent purchases or additions whereas the Bangladesh Navy has now easily grown a surface fleet larger than that of Pakistan Navy, albeit sans modern subs or ASW aviation.

Why is this a surprise and why the hate?

On second thought - don't bother to answer. Spare us your opinions. We already know.

Please accept my thanks and award for a wonderful, succinct, well-worded post.

0000704_world-class-medals.jpeg

Sad thing is - you are unfortunately wasting your time with the trolls in this forum. They are intellectual infants. They will neither fathom the gravity, nor the immediate relevancy of your post. Those who have seen the future of Pakistan, have rung enough alarm bells and most of them have left for the comfort of the West.

They can house some more people compared to us. But even that has its limits. The percentage of arable and therefore settle-able land in Pakistan is much lower than in Bangladesh. People need water and a source of livelihood where they live. Half or more of Pakistan is arid non-arable land which is unusable.

Also - Bangladesh pop. growth is getting to be almost below replacement rate already, unlike Pakistan. If we have negative pop. growth then eventually density will decrease substantially.

Our defence scenario and doctrine is markedly different than theirs. Why would we spend that much and what for? Deterrence and keeping sea lanes open is our goal, not offensive capability.

I see de-nuclearization of weapons in Pakistan's future, the same will be true of India as well. Nuclear weapons don't belong to rogue countries who are either failed economies or who can't even feed their poor. The Western nations will ensure that this happens.

I don't hate you and I can assure you most of Pakistanis don't! All your post have is blind hatred, allegations and predictions based on your little mind and exposure and not the CURRENT facts! Let me rephrase it again, is your Current GDP exceed ours? Answer is NO, is your military capability exceeds ours, in any department, Answer is hell NO! All you people have is predictions which you post in every thread and that was the purpose of my post to put stop to it and I was not trolling!
Spare us with your daily bombardment of PREDICTIONS, that we beat Pakistan in this and that department!

As for the rest of post,
"Pakistan is run by a massive Fauji complex - members of whom siphon their percentage off of military purchases to pay for their Dubai flats and their wives' Balenciaga purses, in true feudal fashion" Prove it!
Next Point, We are feeding our people quite very well and you don't need to worry about that. We are developing our HDI and Military industry side by side, don't need your opinions.
And in last dear Sir, I don't know how can you compare PN with your BN. Look at PN, with huge experience, diverse missile arsenal, fully netcentric capability, submarines, P3C's etc etc and what BN got..If you wana bring purchases then keep in mind PN purchases as well?? I believe it is me who is wasting my time on a troll or should I say blind fanboy like you who see de-nuclearization of both India and Pak in future!

For the rest of posters, The purpose of my post was not trolling, I wish them Good luck in future in both of their Civil and Military Development, but I have been seeing a lot of posts from them lately claiming that we have beaten Pakistan in economy, we have beaten them in telecommunication, infrastructure and God knows what. whereas facts proves otherwise! that was all!

Now, do not call @Nilgiri, do your own math and tell us the result, how much money west stole from the east in the name of Kashmir. You stole our money and now talking about economic might. You are disgusting!!!
You guys are double disgusting,Who was spending on East Pakistan,during all those years?
Total spending of Pakistan on Army was around 2.3 to 2.5 % of GDP.Now please tell me were rest of trillions of dollors looted from East went?
Your Money My Foot,only you can claim on basis of numbers is Reserve held by Government in 1971,rest all you say has no meaning

The real problem is some Pakistani flagger always tag Indians in order to disprove Bangladeshi posters . Why do you guys need Indians specially this one who only knows how to derail a thread? with off topic rubbish ?
I am just amazed with such absurd behavior from you guys.
Grow some spine and fight alone.
I just called him,because he has done some Good Ecnomics Study on that matter.
People's whom they have fathered are calling us spineless,what an irony!

Our most of the thread turning to fighting with India tans Pakistan please stop bringing Pakistan India Nd discuss our ongoing military moderation .
BD doesn't think of getting modernized,heck you guys even don't have prepared a Deterrence to counter,your neighbours.
After witnessing hate of Burmese towards Muslims,do you still think one day they wouldn't try to walk into BD?

And it's a cake walk to de-nuclearize India and Pakistan!

indian army tanks were stopped from entering lahore by bengali regiment whose troops strapped mine on their body and ran towards enemy tanks.... what are you blabbering about strength?

while seeing all bangalis ranting about East Pakistani money used to develop Pakistani military i wonder why Pakistan Military didnt collapse after 71 when East Pakistanis (Bangalis) stop sending trillions of jute dollars to West Pakistan.:disagree: Infact Pakistan became stronger and stronger after 71. Even a 3rd grade kid can understand this simple Logic.

while seeing all bangalis ranting about East Pakistani money used to develop Pakistani military i wonder why Pakistan Military didnt collapse after 71 when East Pakistanis (Bangalis) stop sending trillions of jute dollars to West Pakistan.:disagree: Infact Pakistan became stronger and stronger after 71. Even a 3rd grade kid can understand this simple Logic.

You have little to no knowledge of military affairs (by your own admission).

Making your post here one of pure nationalism.

Thanks for your contribution. (sarcasm)

People's whom they have done are calling us spineless,what an irony!
Calling them spineless who tag Indian trolls whenever the have chance.
I am not talking about all Pakistanis , but only talking about them who team up with Indian in order to bash Bangladesh.

Except nukes Pakistan got weaker and weaker after 71. I dont know in which world you live in. Strength means relative strength when it comes to armed forces. Just look all around you.

Except nukes Pakistan got weaker and weaker after 71. I dont know in which world you live in. Strength means relative strength when it comes to armed forces. Just look all around you.

Yes. This is a very true statement.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom