What's new

How do you Chinese view the rapid development of the past 35 years?

The US still view China as a threat. Chinese exclusion policy of NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Heard a lot of unfairness in research despite it is non military in nature.

Westerner such as yourself will not able to understand the situation and the mentality of the chinese before Mao came to power. One of my family had to escape to Malaya because he couldn't repay 1 tray of rice to the land lord.
The world affairs are too complicated, some people are too naive...Anti-intellectualism is brainwashing some westerners.
I watched a documentary about differences between education in China and Denmark. One Danish girl cried in front of camera because her did too well in school and nobody liked her. Cheerleaders and sportsmen rule. They thought innovation was something westerners are born with. But it turned out Chinese students did better in some tests for innovation and teamwork. Innovation is based on knowledge, they are forgetting this point.
@powastick

Last edited:
The US still view China as a threat. Chinese exclusion policy of NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Heard a lot of unfairness in research despite it is non military in nature.
Because the US perceived that China believes the US to be a threat, which came from when the US believed China to be a threat from the Cold War. Therein lies the problem, or the source of the problem between the two countries -- the Cold War.

Like it or not, the US have been far more generous and open than China have been. Take GPS for example. It was originally designed for US and our allies, then anyone else at our grace. But President Clinton decided to open the system's usage to the world, including those who would do US harm. You think the Soviet Union or China could do something like that ?

During the negotiations between Raygun and Gorbachev at Reykjavik back in 1986, Raygun offered to share 'Star Wars' ballistic missile defense with the Soviet Union and by extension included China, reasoning that if everyone have the technology, ballistic missiles would be rendered useless. Do you think the Soviet Union or China would ever do something like that ?

The Cold War is over. Marxism-Leninism-Maoism lost. To put it bluntly to China : Get over it. The 'it' meaning the paranoia developed from the Cold War. That may have been legitimate back then, but not so today. Unfortunately, China's aggressive actions, especially claiming the entire SCS as her own, resurrected that paranoia, not just in US but throughout Asia.

Because the US perceived that China believes the US to be a threat, which came from when the US believed China to be a threat from the Cold War. Therein lies the problem, or the source of the problem between the two countries -- the Cold War.

Like it or not, the US have been far more generous and open than China have been. Take GPS for example. It was originally designed for US and our allies, then anyone else at our grace. But President Clinton decided to open the system's usage to the world, including those who would do US harm. You think the Soviet Union or China could do something like that ?

During the negotiations between Raygun and Gorbachev at Reykjavik back in 1986, Raygun offered to share 'Star Wars' ballistic missile defense with the Soviet Union and by extension included China, reasoning that if everyone have the technology, ballistic missiles would be rendered useless. Do you think the Soviet Union or China would ever do something like that ?

The Cold War is over. Marxism-Leninism-Maoism lost. To put it bluntly to China : Get over it. The 'it' meaning the paranoia developed from the Cold War. That may have been legitimate back then, but not so today. Unfortunately, China's aggressive actions, especially claiming the entire SCS as her own, resurrected that paranoia, not just in US but throughout Asia.
If American politicians think as you do, the world is peaceful, not chaos ignited by Pentagon&CIA everywhere. But if world is peaceful, how do you guys make money?

Ah, bro, you live in a high rise, very nice. I really like the external facade of your place...looks really new , too ! :)

Where i live now, my house is located in a suburban development (subdivision) in southern New Jersey.

The house that I live in now is similar in size and shape to the following; its a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, 2 car garage. I'm planning on keeping it and maybe eventually later on buying a beach home by Ocean City , NJ. Great investment.

Yeah house is great, I have a mini-cinema/studio in mine, best place to throw a pool-side party!

That's why I think Shanghai (and the 1st batch of urbanized cities along the coast like Qingdao, Shenzhen, Guangzhou) urban planners are doing a good job. Compared to Beijing, Shanghai (6,000 sqm) concentrates most of its density to down-town, cope with it advanced transportation, and maintain low-density in rest of the city. Take the example of Hong Kong (1,096 sqm), while having the most impressive skyline in the world, 70% of the land were preserved without any real estate development.

The house market in Shanghai is massive. Other than some houses (stand-alone, small scale house parks, heritage buildings) scattered around in down-town which are expensive (market price $8~50M), urban planners concentrate most of the middle-class house parks (别墅区, majority of market price $1~6M) to 7 districts:
  1. Songjiang 松江别墅区
  2. Pudong 浦东别墅区 (excluding Lujiazhui Financial Center)
  3. Jinshan 金山别墅区
  4. Nanhui 南汇别墅区
  5. Qingpu 青浦别墅区
  6. Minhang 闵行别墅区
  7. Baoshan 宝山别墅区
So average Shanghai family like mine will keep a small down-down apartment (130 sqm) for the convenience of city work and living, and a suburb house (350 sqm) for parents and holiday leisure.

3970232_131135256000_2.jpg
800x600.jpg
xingfuxiaozhen.jpg
886198_m.jpg

Compared to Beijing, where most of the city were developed in a medium-high density manner, I would say the Shanghai example of ultra-high-density center and low-density suburbs is a better reference for inland cities to replacate.

Last edited:
Yeah house is great, I have a mini-cinema/studio in mine, best place to throw a pool-side party!

That's why I think Shanghai (and the 1st batch of urbanized cities along the coast like Qingdao, Shenzhen, Guangzhou) urban planners are doing a good job. Compared to Beijing, Shanghai (6,000 sqm) concentrates most of its density to down-town, cope with it advanced transportation, and maintain low-density in rest of the city. Take the example of Hong Kong (1,096 sqm), while having the most impressive skyline in the world, 70% of the land were preserved without any real estate development.

The house market in Shanghai is massive. Other than some houses (stand-alone, small scale house parks, heritage buildings) scattered around in down-town which are expensive (market price $8~50M), urban planners concentrate most of the middle-class house parks (别墅区, majority of market price $1~6M) to 7 districts:
  1. Songjiang 松江别墅区
  2. Pudong 浦东别墅区 (excluding Lujiazhui Financial Center)
  3. Jinshan 金山别墅区
  4. Nanhui 南汇别墅区
  5. Qingpu 青浦别墅区
  6. Minhang 闵行别墅区
  7. Baoshan 宝山别墅区
So average Shanghai family like mine will keep a small down-down apartment (130 sqm) for the convenience of city work and living, and a suburb house (350 sqm) for parents and holiday leisure.

View attachment 207324 View attachment 207326 View attachment 207328 View attachment 207329

Compared to Beijing, where most of the city were developed in a medium-high density manner, I would say the Shanghai example of ultra-high-density center and low-density suburbs is a better reference for inland cities to replacate.
Beijing is a mess....Waste too much land in downtown.

Beijing is a mess....Waste too much land in downtown.

I have spoken with some Beijing urban planners before, their hands are tied, too much conservative minds around and there was a legacy of Moscow-style influence. Beijing is indeed overloaded to be simultaneously the National Capital and business hub of northern China, but the good news is that central government is gradually migrating to Miyun, let's wait and see!

In comparison urban planners in the 1st batch of 14 coastal cities were given much more free hand so that they can work with the best talents from Hong Kong and Singapore. Hope inland cities can use successful experience of coastal cities in future urban planning.

@FairAndUnbiased yeah bro, Seoul is so amazing!

I believe the Chinese government is taking the wrong path in believing China is somehow under threat. The US and our allies have invested much -- if not too much -- into China to view China as a threat. I believe the Chinese government places far too much stock into that 'century of humiliation' to justify China's militaristic actions today. That is not my belief alone but a composite from all the Chinese friends and co-workers I know over the last 20 yrs. It is revealing that they felt more free to express themselves in the US than they could in China.
When the American businesses invested in China, and at the invitation from the Chinese government at that, what make you think the US government want China dead ? The Western investment of today is nothing like the European colonialist mentality of yesterday, and back then, the US had nothing on mainland China. At the end of WW II, the US made it clear that the era of colonialism is over and the US enforced that, especially on mainland China. At the end of the Cold War, who was China's greatest threat ? How about China herself, self inflicted with decades of Marxist experimentation ?
The same routine, sound like you western are Philanthropist, we Chinese are bad.
the original incentive of you invest in China is to help China and Chinese? don't talk bullsh!t, first, you see the market and the expectant profit, then, come to China, building factory, your incentive is profit, not for helping China, making China stronger, if you are that good, lift your high-tec sanction on China.

USA of course is threat to China, not talking too much sh!t here, your action tell the truth, all World know you USA view China as threat( Of course, you blame it on China, beacuse we are threat to the world), we don't place missile around your country, not like you do around us, who threated who?

Yes, our greatest threat is ourself, not need you tell us, you USA are our greatest outside threat.

We Chinese are very glad to open Beidu to the world, you can shut down you GPS system, or sell it to us, use our Beidou free, all cost we take, you no need pay one cent, Ok or not?

Last edited:

Coming from country that spends 600 billion on military and wage war continuously, almost everyone perceive US a threat. Generous to enemies? Give aid and lift your sanctions on North Korea, withdraw your army from South Korea. If the US could afford the StarWars program, it would not have approach the soviets for funding.

Coming from country that spends 600 billion on military and wage war continuously, almost everyone perceive US a threat. Generous to enemies? Give aid and lift your sanctions on North Korea, withdraw your army from South Korea. If the US could afford the StarWars program, it would not have approach the soviets for funding.
Again, if the world is peaceful, Americans are doomed to death.
Shaping the world into a mess is their supreme national interests.

Again, if the world is peaceful, Americans are doomed to death.
Shaping the world into a mess is their supreme national interests.

I guess we need to be historical here. US policies are more instructive than the words of an immigrant who happens to worship the regime. It becomes almost repetitive and boring to remind them that we did not ask for alms from anybody and nobody poured money into China out of good heart.

Same goes with the investment China pours into the West today. It is not that we adore them and throw in our hard earned money into their pockets out of a kind heart. What drives us today (just as what drove them yesterday) is the anticipation for a return. A real, tangible return, not gratitude or idol worship. Give me hard cash and keep your admiration for cute panda cubs.

Hence, we have no gratitude because US invested in China. And we do not anticipate gratitude from, say, the British because we are pouring in money into their economy. It is all about business and that US Vietnamese knows this very well.

And he lectures from a high ground as if we are one of those that they are accustomed to lecture.

As for Beidou, I guess, once global coverage is achieved by 2020, we would be glad to sell our commercial services to the US populace. Just what they have done with theirs. Of course, military use is for China and close allies only.

Last edited:
It is almost as if Chinese people here are from 2 different worlds. One is the world where 100000 RMB per year is good money, the other is the world where 1 million is casual. Its like watching 《101次求婚》. Guess it is true, that Chinese are too diverse and the mental gap between different regions is too big to address with same policies even in something as small as urban planning.

I think I'd probably never live in the east coast if I didn't have to for a job. One of my cousins moved to Shanghai for work, married Shanghainese, now his thinking is 100% Shanghainese, can't relate to him whatsoever. He is now under the total control and management of his wife who hates me lol. Another of my cousins married a Jiangsu guy, now shes divorced because her husband is a fking gambler scum that put them into debt.

All the Chinese posters please refrain from posting. You're making the Indians so ever mad! Hehe....

We give more aid than your China. When there is a natural disaster somewhere, the victims do not call for China, do they ?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom