What's new

How do you Chinese view the rapid development of the past 35 years?

For me, i am a country boy (rural boy) at heart, bro. I love life in the village, or close to the nature. I agree with you in regards to cost of living differences from city to rural. For example, my family home , its located in a rural suburb of Sapporo --- we have a 5 bedroom house, it is fairly large, and we have a 3 acre yard. The cost of our property + house , given its location, would be around $450,000 (US Dollars), but to own or buy a house of the same size say in downtown Sapporo , or even in larger cities like Yokohama, Tokyo, Kyoto, Saitama, Maizuru etc --- maybe it would be worth $1.5 million - $2 million (US Dollars). And then you have to pay exorbitant property tax, lol!

There is as saying in Tokyo, "Live in big house, but eat small food!!!!" LOL!

This is why i will never live in the city. Maybe in suburbs, or if possible, in a farm town ! :) :)
Bro, i start to envy you ! U r right, costs between city and rural is huge different. My parents and me living in the city, all we just work for house and food ... we r really the pity guys "Live in big house, but eat small food." :cray:

Yes, I started to work in 2014.11 in another province, and buy a house about 103m^2 at cost 500000Yuan(70% load from bank), city house price is more expensive than village in every country

Darn man, i didn't know teachers got paid really well in China. What level do you teach? primary? secondary? or collegiate?

Bro, i start to envy you ! U r right, costs between city and rural is huge different. My parents and me living in the city, all we just work for house and food ... we r really the pity guys "Live in big house, but eat small food." :cray:

That's what i miss home!! My MOM starts to plant her radish, peppers, potatoes, bean sprouts, string beans, strawberries , tomatoes, spinach, eggplants, bakchoy planst in the spring. So by early summer till end of autumn -- we literally have endless supply of veggies. We don't even buy vegetables in the market because MOM grows her own. Then we also have a rice farm that my parents tend to. Fresh rice, bro...!! There's really difference when you eat rice bought from store and rice that you grow from your own land...!

That's why i miss home so much dude. And MOM's home cooked food....! lol.

That's what i miss home!! My MOM starts to plant her radish, peppers, potatoes, bean sprouts, string beans, strawberries , tomatoes, spinach, eggplants, bakchoy planst in the spring. So by early summer till end of autumn -- we literally have endless supply of veggies. We don't even buy vegetables in the market because MOM grows her own. Then we also have a rice farm that my parents tend to. Fresh rice, bro...!! There's really difference when you eat rice bought from store and rice that you grow from your own land...!

That's why i miss home so much dude. And MOM's home cooked food....! lol.
Very Nice, that's true rural life which our city guys jealous of ... LOL ! :enjoy:

Darn man, i didn't know teachers got paid really well in China. What level do you teach? primary? secondary? or collegiate?
Different area the salary is different, I am a new teacher of university,basic salary adds others income will be 100000Yuan per year; even primary and secondary in rich province(such as Guangdong, Zhejing act) will reach the salary too, general area's primary teacher's salary will be 50000~70000, and secondary teacher 50000~100000 Yuan per year

@Nihonjin1051, my parents have a winter house in HaiKou city of HaiNan island ... comapred with the rural big house, it's just a small one which we can afford in city.

2012-12-08 15.20.20.jpg

2012-12-08 15.14.34.jpg

2012-12-08 14.55.58.jpg

@Nihonjin1051, my parents have a winter house in HaiKou city of HaiNan island ... comapred with the rural big house, it's just a small one which we can afford in city.

View attachment 207177
View attachment 207176
View attachment 207178

Ah, bro, you live in a high rise, very nice. I really like the external facade of your place...looks really new , too ! :)

Where i live now, my house is located in a suburban development (subdivision) in southern New Jersey.

The house that I live in now is similar in size and shape to the following; its a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, 2 car garage. I'm planning on keeping it and maybe eventually later on buying a beach home by Ocean City , NJ. Great investment.

Anyways, this is how the homes look like in my subdivision:

6200482_0[1].jpg

6302795_0[1].jpg

3007918446[1].jpg

Different area the salary is different, I am a new teacher of university,basic salary adds others income will be 100000Yuan per year; even primary and secondary in rich province(such as Guangdong, Zhejing act) will reach the salary too, general area's primary teacher's salary will be 50000~70000, and secondary teacher 50000~100000 Yuan per year

Wonderful, buddy! You know i thought about doing summer teaching in China. In fact, some college lecturers in my university actually teaches summer courses in sociology at Beijing University (from May to end of July) , the university (Beijing University) literally pays for his ticket, his living expenses over there. And get this --- you know how much they pay him per class to teach in the summer? ($5,000 US Dollars) per class, buddy! He teaches around 3-4 classes during this time, so can you imagine, a summer teaching assignment , he comes home with $15,000- $20,000. Mind you that is just for 2-3 months worth of lecturing. I'm thinking of doing the same either in Japan or China.

Big money in China, bro. Its so easy to get rich there.....

Ah, bro, you live in a high rise, very nice. I really like the external facade of your place...looks really new , too ! :)

Where i live now, my house is located in a suburban development (subdivision) in southern New Jersey.

The house that I live in now is similar in size and shape to the following; its a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, 2 car garage. I'm planning on keeping it and maybe eventually later on buying a beach home by Ocean City , NJ. Great investment.
House is the best, ain't it ? :enjoy:

For a good chunk of my life, it was apartments and when you are aware of a move (military) every 2-3 yrs, buying/selling houses is just too much of a hassle. But once you are ready to settle down, nothing beat your own ground and a house in it. My garage is large enough to fit two full size SUVs, if needed, and it has an attached side room with 220v outlets for shop tools. I plan to build my own bike someday.

House is the best, ain't it ? :enjoy:

For a good chunk of my life, it was apartments and when you are aware of a move (military) every 2-3 yrs, buying/selling houses is just too much of a hassle. But once you are ready to settle down, nothing beat your own ground and a house in it. My garage is large enough to fit two full size SUVs, if needed, and it has an attached side room with 220v outlets for shop tools. I plan to build my own bike someday.

Sir @gambit ,

When i first came to the United States, the first thing i did was rent apartments (back in California), and then when I moved to New Jersey couple of years ago for a new position , i realized that the homes in New Jersey are very decent-sized and prices are affordable. At age 27, i purchased my first house here in the states --- and yes, Sir, its costly investment, but its an investment that pays back. Instead of renting an apartment where your money goes to the landlord or property owner, owning a house, you're paying your own mortgage (which is the same cost almost as renting an apartment) and the gist is this--- it builds your own equity. If i decide to sell my house, i get my money's worth back. lol.

Tho i admit it cost me close to $30,000 to remodel the place. I changed the whole kitchen style as the original planning style was from the 90's. I got new stainless steel fridge, appliances, my new counter top is marble top, and for my kitchen cabinets, --- had those all added on new -- cherry wood -- and designed by the Amish in Chestertown, PA. The floors were carpetted -- i had those removed -- and installed dark wood floors. Upstairs as well.

So far my house is ...my castle. There is a great deal of satisfaction coming home to YOUR OWN house after work. I love it, just the only down side is that its an empty nest. I'd like to, someday, God Willing, have little Nihonjins running around...LOL!

Sir, i can only imagine your property --- living in Hawaii. You have to be , literally a millionaire to live there. Isn't it so expensive there? :o::o:

Sir @gambit ,

When i first came to the United States, the first thing i did was rent apartments (back in California), and then when I moved to New Jersey couple of years ago for a new position , i realized that the homes in New Jersey are very decent-sized and prices are affordable. At age 27, i purchased my first house here in the states --- and yes, Sir, its costly investment, but its an investment that pays back. Instead of renting an apartment where your money goes to the landlord or property owner, owning a house, you're paying your own mortgage (which is the same cost almost as renting an apartment) and the gist is this--- it builds your own equity. If i decide to sell my house, i get my money's worth back. lol.
I purchased my first -- and probably only -- house just six yrs ago. Yes, I was a very mobile person six yrs ago. When I used to work for Santa Clara Plastics, then SCP Global now gone, I was always looking for a place where I could feel comfortable enough to settle down. Hawaii was just way too expensive and does not have the technology industries I wanted to be in, so the mainland is it. I thought much and serious about California, part of that was the large Vietnamese community, but I did not care for the politics. Too liberal for my taste.

You must make more than I do to afford a nice place in Joid-zee.

Tho i admit it cost me close to $30,000 to remodel the place. I changed the whole kitchen style as the original planning style was from the 90's. I got new stainless steel fridge, appliances, my new counter top is marble top, and for my kitchen cabinets, --- had those all added on new -- cherry wood -- and designed by the Amish in Chestertown, PA. The floors were carpetted -- i had those removed -- and installed dark wood floors. Upstairs as well.
Here is my story...

When I was shopping for a house, I told my agent: 'No HOAs.' Any house that is an in HOA, I want immediate dismissal. She eventually found me a place asking price 175k. I did some public info research and found the seller bought the house from a foreclosure at 135k in Jun '09. He already spent about 5k doing some minor repairs/upgrades. We also found out there were four offers: 2 FHAs, one just a simple offer, and mine. The FHA rules states that the seller must be in the house for at least 90 days before FHA will back the loan. Mine was VA and there is no such rule, which left only two offers.

The VA want the seller to pay closing costs, and I want more stuff fixed up. The seller resisted. So I told him about the FHA rule but did not tell him what I knew of his purchase price. So he had a choice of either working on the house and wait for a better offer, or agree to my offer/demands and sell. My way would have him nominally own the house for 30 days, made not a single payment on it, sell it to me, and make 40k profit. Even minus the closing cost and assorted repairs/upgrade, he would still make at least 30k on it. So he agreed.

So far my house is ...my castle. There is a great deal of satisfaction coming home to YOUR OWN house after work. I love it, just the only down side is that its an empty nest. I'd like to, someday, God Willing, have little Nihonjins running around...LOL!
A house is definitely a proverbial 'chick magnet', my friend. Does not matter how old she is, even the younger gals know how nice it is to have a house over an apartment. A house is more a 'chick magnet' than a car but a lot of guys do not know that.

Next is to get yourself a bike, and I do NOT mean a pedal pumper. If you notice, all action movies heroes know how to ride a bike. YOU -- cruising on your bike down the street into your own garage -- that is cherry, buddy. And if you are good looking, chicks will be tripping over their panties running after you. :enjoy:

Sir, i can only imagine your property --- living in Hawaii. You have to be , literally a millionaire to live there. Isn't it so expensive there? :o::o:
No...I grew up in Hawaii, and we lived in an apartment there. It was a large apartment, yes, but we did not have enough to buy property in Hawaii.

You Chinese have every right to be proud of how much China accomplished since China adopted capitalism. I may rag on the Chinese government at times, but for the Chinese people, I only wish them the best available opportunities capitalism can offer.

What China need to do next, as in highest priority, is to spread the wealth deeper into China. Right now, the concentration of wealth is too much on the coastal regions. I do not advocate forcible redistribution of wealth. But let us take the simple microwave oven, the thing I so often used on this forum as example of the power of capitalism. The microwave oven is all over the US, even the poorest of American have one. Same for the cell phone, or cable TV, or many things that a couple decade ago, only the 'elites' enjoys. That is what I mean by 'spread the wealth'.

What I said is not baseless. I have been to mainland China and have seen the gross wealth disparity that is even worse than US, despite how many articles people may bring to criticize US. I work with many Chinese engineers who admitted the very thing I am saying. I have seen a Chinese mother wept at the size of her son's American house in a gated development. I was there and it was a very soul touching moment. He was a co-worker and friend, then took a risk as a group lead at the new plant, now a manager in Virginia. I can only imagine his parents' joy today.

I believe the Chinese government is taking the wrong path in believing China is somehow under threat. The US and our allies have invested much -- if not too much -- into China to view China as a threat. I believe the Chinese government places far too much stock into that 'century of humiliation' to justify China's militaristic actions today. That is not my belief alone but a composite from all the Chinese friends and co-workers I know over the last 20 yrs. It is revealing that they felt more free to express themselves in the US than they could in China.

I believe the Chinese government is taking the wrong path in believing China is somehow under threat. The US and our allies have invested much -- if not too much -- into China to view China as a threat. I believe the Chinese government places far too much stock into that 'century of humiliation' to justify China's militaristic actions today.
Even if you are paranoid, it does not mean there is no one out there wants you dead. Gaddafi disarm his nuclear weapons, the West backstab him the moment he was weak.

What I said is not baseless. I have been to mainland China and have seen the gross wealth disparity that is even worse than US, despite how many articles people may bring to criticize US. I work with many Chinese engineers who admitted the very thing I am saying. I have seen a Chinese mother wept at the size of her son's American house in a gated development. I was there and it was a very soul touching moment. He was a co-worker and friend, then took a risk as a group lead at the new plant, now a manager in Virginia. I can only imagine his parents' joy today.

These are the sellout whitewashed Asians.

I don't want to be associated with them in any way.

Even the old gambling Chinese grandpas and grandmas from Southeast Asia, sitting at smoke filled mahjong parlors in Chinatown, I can sympathize with, because at least they keep it real. Don't want these assimilated bananas trying to represent me and talk about how Chinese are this or that.

Even if you are paranoid, it does not mean there is no one out there wants you dead. Gaddafi disarm his nuclear weapons, the West backstab him the moment he was weak.
When the American businesses invested in China, and at the invitation from the Chinese government at that, what make you think the US government want China dead ? The Western investment of today is nothing like the European colonialist mentality of yesterday, and back then, the US had nothing on mainland China. At the end of WW II, the US made it clear that the era of colonialism is over and the US enforced that, especially on mainland China. At the end of the Cold War, who was China's greatest threat ? How about China herself, self inflicted with decades of Marxist experimentation ?

When the American businesses invested in China, and at the invitation from the Chinese government at that, what make you think the US government want China dead ? The Western investment of today is nothing like the European colonialist mentality of yesterday, and back then, the US had nothing on mainland China. At the end of WW II, the US made it clear that the era of colonialism is over and the US enforced that, especially on mainland China. At the end of the Cold War, who was China's greatest threat ? How about China herself, self inflicted with decades of Marxist experimentation ?
The US still view China as a threat. Chinese exclusion policy of NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Heard a lot of unfairness in research despite it is non military in nature.

Westerner such as yourself will not able to understand the situation and the mentality of the chinese before Mao came to power. One of my family had to escape to Malaya because he couldn't repay 1 tray of rice to the land lord.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom