What's new

How do you Chinese view the rapid development of the past 35 years?

I think China success could be its property law (I'm not sure how it works, i'm hoping some of you can cover this).
Jarkata or Delhi for example have narrow roads and crippling traffic jams (pre-colonial planning). But in China, they seem to be able to evict homeowners for complete rebuilding of the city.
In Malaysia, some parts of the old town are deserted, with little commercial interest. Plus property owner would be heavily compensated making it uneconomical for that to happen.

Unlike manufacturing industry which attracts a lot of spotlight, real estate market receives relatively less international attention especially in the early years despite being one of the fastest growing segment in Chinese economy. Similar to manufacturing, the fast growth owes its contribution to a very open-minded government, as well as FDI.

Various levels of governments (especially in those 14 coastal cities first open to reform since 1978) were ambitious, eager to learn, willing to take advices and efficient in their executions. Manufacturing is not the only sector China government is attending to.

Regarding FDI, if manufacturing was led by Taiwan, then real estates was undisputedly led by Hong Kong (and to a lesser degree Singapore), and that's one the reasons why during the early 1970's FDI from Hong Kong accounts for 70% of total inflow. Capital, and more importantly talents, came into China representing all professions in this industry e.g. urban planning, logistics/transportation, architect, quantity surveying (测量), interior design, natural landscaping (景观), construction, property management, fund/project management, retail, leasing etc. As a Shanghai resident, I am a witness of this historical event. Major foreign developers include:

Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd
Henderson Land Development Co. Ltd.
Great Eagle Holdings Limited
Sun Hung Kai Properties Ltd
Swire Properties
Pacific Century Premium Developments
Hutchison Whampoa Properties Limited
Sino Land Company Limited
Kerry Properties Limited (Singapore/Malaysia)
Wheelock Properties (Hong Kong) Limited
New World Development Company Limited
Hang Lung Properties
China Overseas Land & Investment Limited
MTR Corporation Limited
CITIC Pacific
LIPPO Group (Indonesia)
Chinachem Group
Nan Fung Group

201162516313547.JPG

These 14 city governments, combined with HK-led FDI, initiated the 1st wave of development, and then the development go in-land and nationwide, just like manufacturing. After 35 years of development, a lot of homegrown giant developers have surfaced and by now they are the key driving force of urbanization, here are top 10:

China Vanke (万科地产)
Greenland Holding Group (绿地集团)
Wanda Group (万达集团)
Poly Real Estate Group (保利地产)
China Overseas Property (中海地产)
Country Garden (碧桂园)
Evergrande Real Estate Group (恒大地产)
China Resources Land Limited (华润置地)
Shimao Property (世茂房地产)
Greentown China (绿城中国)

As developers acquire experience and skills, one dimension of growth strategy is to increase focus/specialty in a particular vertical segment, ranging from industrial park, transportation hub, commercial hub, leisure/amusement district, residential park, port city (and airotropolis), and even city operation (城市运营). As the real estate developers getting bigger and more sophisticated, they will be capable to fulfill their tasks required by more demanding urban planners, both coastal and inland.

024e2d24268a7305f1e769608fb42ac3.jpg

Unlike manufacturing industry which attracts a lot of spotlight, real estate market receives relatively less international attention especially in the early years despite being one of the fastest growing segment in Chinese economy. Similar to manufacturing, the fast growth owes its contribution to a very open-minded government, as well as FDI.

Various levels of governments (especially in those 14 coastal cities first open to reform since 1978) were ambitious, eager to learn, willing to take advices and efficient in their executions. Manufacturing is not the only sector China government is attending to.

Regarding FDI, if manufacturing was led by Taiwan, then real estates was undisputedly led by Hong Kong (and to a lesser degree Singapore), and that's one the reasons why during the early 1970's FDI from Hong Kong accounts for 70% of total inflow. Capital, and more importantly talents, came into China representing all professions in this industry e.g. urban planning, logistics/transportation, architect, quantity surveying (测量), interior design, natural landscaping (景观), construction, property management, fund/project management, retail, leasing etc. As a Shanghai resident, I am a witness of this historical event. Major foreign developers include:

Swire Properties
Hang Lung Properties
MTR Corporation Limited
CITIC Pacific
LIPPO Group (Indonesia)
Chinachem Group
Nan Fung Group

View attachment 207091

These 14 city governments, combined with HK-led FDI, initiated the 1st wave of development, and then the development go in-land and nationwide, just like manufacturing. After 35 years of development, a lot of homegrown giant developers have surfaced and by now they are the key driving force of urbanization, here are top 10:

China Vanke (万科地产)
Wanda Group (万达集团)
Country Garden (碧桂园)
Shimao Property (世茂房地产)
Greentown China (绿城中国)

As developers acquire experience and skills, one dimension of growth strategy is to increase focus/specialty in a particular vertical segment, ranging from industrial park, transportation hub, commercial hub, leisure/amusement district, residential park, port city (and airotropolis), and even city operation (城市运营). As the real estate developers getting bigger and more sophisticated, they will be capable to fulfill their tasks required by more demanding urban planners, both coastal and inland.

View attachment 207092
I've been living in Shanghai for 7 years! 100 metres from 淮海中路/陕西南路
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 22.39.52.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 22.41.33.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 22.39.21.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 22.40.04.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 22.43.11.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 22.42.24.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 22.41.25.png

Swire Properties
Hang Lung Properties
MTR Corporation Limited
CITIC Pacific
LIPPO Group (Indonesia)
Chinachem Group
Nan Fung Group

View attachment 207091

China Vanke (万科地产)
Wanda Group (万达集团)
Country Garden (碧桂园)
Shimao Property (世茂房地产)
Greentown China (绿城中国)

View attachment 207092
btw, Wanda is wanda-ful!
See 楚河汉街

Last edited:
State owned is not a unique characteristic of CPC. You got to read the cored values of communism. Now the government is great of course, but real communists will dislike. If CPC is pragmatic, then changing name is also pragmatic to meet people's need. I don't see much difference among the current administration, Taiwan before democratization and Singapore.

Than change it to Chinese Party of China (CPC)

Our communism has been evolved since age, and now it is also embedded with the strong nationalism.

But there is only one thing we have to make sure; it is that we cannot allow those private lobbyists to control over our government and our country.

We have to maintain a strong central authoritarian government, and also a strong state-owned economy.

Are these too much for you to accept?

True bro. These three are the biggest things for a truly sovereign nation.

SOE is also competitive,Haier, CSR/CNR, Baosteel, Huaneng..the list is endless They are not dragging Chinese economy down but a key innovative stimulus of economic reforms. Concerning private, they are of equal importance, but still, they should not get involved into sectors like railway and energy.
private Chinese enterprises cannot win bids for lucrative foreign contracts in high risk regions. Only SOE backed by Chinese military can.

But mostly they are not objective towards China. Everything attached to China in the west is exceedingly politicalised.

There are various academic sources , bro. And a lot of sources are actually empathetic to the Chinese growth model. In fact the Chinese growth model is a popular area of study in various branches of economics, sociology, psychology, and business management.

no Jilin? my hometown is very close to Changbai Mountain.:).
View attachment 206766
@Nihonjin1051 you are a bit norther.

yes, accurate.

Jilin!! Beautiful city, buddy. And as for Changbai Mountains...have you gone hiking there by any chance? :)

There are various academic sources , bro. And a lot of sources are actually empathetic to the Chinese growth model. In fact the Chinese growth model is a popular area of study in various branches of economics, sociology, psychology, and business management.

Jilin!! Beautiful city, buddy. And as for Changbai Mountains...have you gone hiking there by any chance? :)

My next trip will be next month, to Wuyuan(婺源)and Huizhou(徽州), that's northern Jiangxi Province and southern Anhui Province. A short spring outing, a spiritual home to Chinese.
Already bought the book:lol:
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 23.35.50.png

屏幕快照 2015-03-24 23.31.41.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 23.31.16.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 23.31.03.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 23.30.50.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 23.33.52.png
屏幕快照 2015-03-24 23.36.20.png

Government allied Imams keep out Wahabi influence, only region where Salafism is strong is Xinjiang.
I don't agree. It's spreading fast like cancer and never make the mistake of underestimating it.

There was even a thread a few months ago about the spread of Wahabbism in inner China but I can't find it. Don't get me wrong, this is a time bomb that needs to be addressed and combated otherwise it's going to bring a lot of problems.

This is Yunnan:

xidaschool1234w.jpg

I don't agree. It's spreading fast like cancer and never make the mistake of underestimating it.

There was even a thread a few months ago about the spread of Wahabbism in inner China but I can't find it. Don't get me wrong, this is a time bomb that needs to be addressed and combated otherwise it's going to bring a lot of problems.

This is Yunnan:

xidaschool1234w.jpg
I am aware of this tendency when I am travelling in western China.
But sadly, political correctness limits our discussion.

Buddy! I can see you got bit by the Travel Bug eh? LOL!

Btw, this summer, i'm doing two trips: 1) Doing a cross country drive from NJ all the way to Arizona, and then hitting Utah (going to hike Mount Zion Mountain range there), i'll take pictures. :)

2) Late summer -- early autumn, i'm taking a 2 week trip to Spain, France, and Germany. Going with my gf. :)

My next trip will be next month, to Wuyuan(婺源)and Huizhou(徽州), that's northern Jiangxi Province and southern Anhui Province. A short spring outing, a spiritual home to Chinese.
Already bought the book:lol:
View attachment 207123

View attachment 207116 View attachment 207117 View attachment 207118 View attachment 207119 View attachment 207121 View attachment 207122

Just don't engage topics that may be considered sensitive. As they say,...when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Keep low profile when in new territory. :)

I am glad that people realise it. I didn't know that political correctness is an issue in China too and I think world, especially East Asia lacks experience when dealing with it. I hope everyone works together to eradicate it in the future.

Btw, this summer, i'm doing two trips: 1) Doing a cross country drive from NJ all the way to Arizona, and then hitting Utah (going to hike Mount Zion Mountain range there), i'll take pictures. :)

2) Late summer -- early autumn, i'm taking a 2 week trip to Spain, France, and Germany. Going with my gf. :)

Just don't engage topics that may be considered sensitive. As they say,...when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Keep low profile when in new territory. :)
No China trip this year?

I am glad that people realise it. I didn't know that political correctness is an issue in China too and I think world, especially East Asia lacks experience when dealing with it. I hope everyone works together to eradicate it in the future.
We have discussed a lot on this topic, in our internal "group".
Sometimes I get frustrated by the status quo and very pessimistic about the west in China, even some regions in mideast of China. But mostly, I try to be indifferent to those issues as to make myself motivated...

There is not room for those topics, worldwide....

No China trip this year?

We have discussed a lot on this topic, in our internal "group".
Sometimes I get frustrated by the status quo and very pessimistic about the west in China, even some regions in mideast of China. But mostly, I try to be indifferent to those issues as to make myself motivated...

There is not room for those topics, worldwide....
Good thing is that CCP is not bound by the democracy package and can take necessary actions that are sometimes considered as "human rights violations" in the west.

There will surely be a platform to discuss this issue in the world since it's becoming a common occurrence in almost every part of the world, at least there are signs of it. I just don't like to see how our society is bared from discussing it due to political correctness. Silence will not solve the problem but will make it even worse.

silence-of-good-people.jpg

Good thing is that CCP is not bound by the democracy package and can take necessary actions that are sometimes considered as "human rights violations" in the west.

There will surely be a platform to discuss this issue in the world since it's becoming a common occurrence in almost every part of the world, at least there are signs of it. I just don't like to see how our society is bared from discussing it due to political correctness. Silence will not solve the problem but will make it even worse.

silence-of-good-people.jpg

Development is the greatest human rights violation, the West's sacred human right to force its will on other countries economically and militarily.

Development is the greatest human rights violation, the West's sacred human right to force its will on other countries economically and militarily.
Sorry, I didn't understand. Why development?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom