What's new

How do we make PDF better?

I know it's a drop in a bucket but I never thank a post that contains an insult,
even if the point is right and even if the writer is a good buddy or respected.

In reverse, I'll thank any post that shows any elegance, especially when it
defuses a tense episode and regardless of my opinion, unless 100% wrong.

Grace, charm and patience will win over hearts as well as sense wins convos.
IRL, being credited for the middle term, I try to avoid temper taking over the
first and am still learning the latter.
In virtual land I find it's easier to "state and run" to paraphrase the law. Getting
angry makes little sense from afar. As a bright web denizen once put it to me
in a game setting :
"I'd really like to bash your face in but my arms are too short!"
Him in southern Desi - Me in the N-E USA.​

He was right on both count with equal chances of success so I forgot his doomed
and foolish attempt and remembered his wisdom.

Cream those exchanges as you would a milk jar and keep the cheese for yourself
but don't partake in the food fight? Sum'thang like that ...

Peace out, Tay.
this is a desi forum and apparently if I say 'your mom is a whore' I win the argument... all your carefully constructed arguments amounts to zero...
I usually tend to cut losses and limit the response to 1 stupid line(troll mode on) .. dropping rapidly to 1 letter within a few posts before adding the person to ignore list. :)
i am more disappointed by post holders(TT/Pro etc) who write offensive sh*t, or who go for personal insult or give -ve rating just because the poster disagrees with the view... like you I am more sympathetic to a poster who has opposite view but expresses it well(than who matches mine but is arrogant/rude)... in fact i seek out such people(with opposite view) and try to understand/learn their views, who know I might change my own long held stance.
May be we can have a rule/guidance which says post holders should not leave positive rating if he/she agrees with the view... this might improve quality of debate and reduce circlejerk.

this is a desi forum and apparently if I say 'your mom is a whore' I win the argument... all your carefully constructed arguments amounts to zero...
I usually tend to cut losses and limit the response to 1 stupid line(troll mode on) .. dropping rapidly to 1 letter within a few posts before adding the person to ignore list. :)
i am more disappointed by post holders(TT/Pro etc) who write offensive sh*t, or who go for personal insult or give -ve rating just because the poster disagrees with the view... like you I am more sympathetic to a poster who has opposite view but expresses it well(than who matches mine but is arrogant/rude)... in fact i seek out such people(with opposite view) and try to understand/learn their views, who know I might change my own long held stance.
May be we can have a rule/guidance which says post holders should not leave positive rating if he/she agrees with the view... this might improve quality of debate and reduce circlejerk.

Extending the logic of these two posts further, I think personal abuse of another human being, whether a forum member or someone outside the forum, has to be checked, and negative rated, if it is a particularly nasty piece (depending on the judgement of the person enabled).

That should include the freedom to rate negative any post against the title holder; I say this because there is often a question about whether it is ethical to rate negative someone who has been personally offensive to the person doing the rating.

Abusing another country's flag, national anthem and national symbols; making cheap or course allusions to a supposedly generic habit, including slanderous names generic to a nation; abusing a figure venerated in another country - all these should be disparaged.

So much for negatives.

A post that makes a profound point (at least to the person concerned) is perhaps the best to be positively rated. It is difficult to think of what will qualify for a positive rating; it is always easier to be judgemental and criticise someone else, compared to praising someone else.

I think most of us are parsimonious with positive ratings; we should be more generous.

Finally, if only we had more Moderators. Either a panel of Moderators, or even a panel of members chosen by the Webmaster, could screen posts and declare them valid or worth banning.

Extending the logic of these two posts further, I think personal abuse of another human being, whether a forum member or someone outside the forum, has to be checked, and negative rated, if it is a particularly nasty piece (depending on the judgement of the person enabled).

That should include the freedom to rate negative any post against the title holder; I say this because there is often a question about whether it is ethical to rate negative someone who has been personally offensive to the person doing the rating.

Abusing another country's flag, national anthem and national symbols; making cheap or course allusions to a supposedly generic habit, including slanderous names generic to a nation; abusing a figure venerated in another country - all these should be disparaged.

So much for negatives.

A post that makes a profound point (at least to the person concerned) is perhaps the best to be positively rated. It is difficult to think of what will qualify for a positive rating; it is always easier to be judgemental and criticise someone else, compared to praising someone else.

I think most of us are parsimonious with positive ratings; we should be more generous.

Finally, if only we had more Moderators. Either a panel of Moderators, or even a panel of members chosen by the Webmaster, could screen posts and declare them valid or worth banning.
yeah may be ..sometime negative rating based on emotions rather logical ..

yeah may be ..sometime negative rating based on emotions rather logical ..

That is why I would like to see a list of legitimate and visible reasons for a negative rating, and to see a negative rating given a code number that indicates the reason for the rating. I am prepared to codify my list mentioned in my earlier post, and to share it with others given the rights, to homogenise the procedure, and that is why, also, that I am keen to see a review board, members or moderators or a mix, review these, say, once a week. I have personally no ego-involvement with these ratings, and if a moderator reverses one of my ratings, it honestly represents to me a natural and healthy review process that is active and supportive.

We can make pdf even better by adding a "dislike" button and a "love it" button.

Yes, we could do with a dislike button, but not, I think, with a 'love it'; because there is already a 'thanks' button. That is a substitute for the 'love it'. My thruppence.

Yes, we could do with a dislike button, but not, I think, with a 'love it'; because there is already a 'thanks' button. That is a substitute for the 'love it'. My thruppence.

Yet would it make a difference. We face an army that is not stopped by the devastating negative ratings. How would dislike harm the cause of those that believe that a negative rating is a battle scar.

The dislike button would be seen as a scratch and all will we accomplish with the dislike button is the ranking of wounds. Those with more negative rankings shameless boasting to the dislike receivers about how their trolling glory is grander.

The biggest issue is low IQ, trolling intent and multiple ids.

I liked your idea about age display yet in some cases age is not a measure or wisdom.

I say entry test. Those that fail can't enter. Create various subjects that defence.pk deals with I.e current affairs, strategic and military, history and even scientific knowledge.

This with age display and ban on multiple ids.

Yet would it make a difference. We face an army that is not stopped by the devastating negative ratings. How would dislike harm the cause of those that believe that a negative rating is a battle scar.

The dislike button would be seen as a scratch and all will we accomplish with the dislike button is the ranking of wounds. Those with more negative rankings shameless boasting to the dislike receivers about how their trolling glory is grander.

The biggest issue is low IQ, trolling intent and multiple ids.

I liked your idea about age display yet in some cases age is not a measure or wisdom.

I say entry test. Those that fail can't enter. Create various subjects that defence.pk deals with I.e current affairs, strategic and military, history and even scientific knowledge.

This with age display and ban on multiple ids.

Makes a LOT of sense to me!

in fact i seek out such people(with opposite view) and try to understand/learn their views, who know I might change my own long held stance.

They're both rare IMHoO; both those people and the ones with your attitude!
And this is not specific to PDF by far, quite universal in fact *sigh*.
:tup:

I am but there is a reason, namely the rules dictated by our boss Slav Defence.
The thoughts need to be your own not a posting of outside source, remember?
And so few put up stuff like that versus the usual b.s. It seems people produce
their stupidity faster than anything worthwhile which is neither the fault of Slav
nor yours or mine? Plus, I'd rather keep the positives for mil stuff . . .

I have personally no ego-involvement with these ratings, and if a moderator reverses one of my ratings, it honestly represents to me a natural and healthy review process that is active and supportive.

+1, :tup:, ETC.

We can make pdf even better by adding a "dislike" button and a "love it" button.

OK, I'd go for that especially if the dislike was taken away
from one's Thanks received. HOWEVER ...
... you know as well as I do that if that was the case, trolls
would have a smorgasborg of dislike servings at the ready
and try to downgrade those they don't like ( peeps or ideas ).

I think that's why it's not done more on fora, what do you think?

The biggest issue is low IQ,

My poor mate! :o: How do you cope IRL with that? :undecided:
I mean :
“In low intelligent ignorant societies,
the clever are denigrated and the stupid are belauded;
the brainy are stoned and the dull are held in high esteem!”
― Mehmet Murat Ildan

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown,
ignorance can be educated
and drunkenness sobered
but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

Against stupidity, the gods themselves
contend in vain.
― Friedrich Schiller
Again, it's really not PDF that needs fixing but humanity ...
so the problem is likely to stay?

Sorry for the gloomy view but I'm a realist ... if a singing fool.

Hugs and best wishes for all, Tay.

“In low intelligent ignorant societies,
the clever are denigrated and the stupid are belauded;
the brainy are stoned and the dull are held in high esteem!”
― Mehmet Murat Ildan​

What an apt description!

One more option, please; if the Seniors' Club were to be tightened even further, there are a LARGE number of Indian members of a moderate, non-bhakt way of thinking who would like to return, now that the saffron bhakts are more or less a sullen beaten lot with a very few specimens still running around. If the Seniors' Club were tightened to ward off green bhakts, or red bhakts, there could be a very engaging discussion group.

@SoulSpokesman

If this idea is implemented by the Webmaster, we might have a much enlarged version of insaniyat right here. Perhaps not so high a bar - reproducing Civvie or Naveed is very, very difficult, as is Hayyer Sahib or Gorki, OR Ayush, for that matter - but if you see my white lists, very close to that.

Again, it's really not PDF that needs fixing but humanity ...

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Sorry... I realise I am part of the problem...:whistle:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom