What's new

How can Egypt counter the F35i?

I read an report that Egyptian radar failed to detect the planes. And that some came near Alexandria.

Reports like that are always made by inexperienced journalists or journalists that are intentionally seeking to undermine the Armed Forces. The Egyptian Air Defence does not rely on one radar, it has a multi-layered system, including AWACs such
as the E2C Hawkeye 2000 and EC-130H Compass Call flying 24 hours. The forces also routinely tests its own systems by
simulating violations, i.e F-16s or other aircraft are ordered to fly without informing the Air Defence command.

The Israelis have not intentionally violated Egyptian airspace since we were at war, when they struck Sudan they used international airspace and according to Sudan's Defence Minister they could not intercept the aircraft as their Mig-29s
did not have night fighting capabilities.

The sensationalism exhibited by some in this thread is hilarious, as is the attempt by others to politcise a defence question.

The Egyptian Armed Forces has been preparing for the arrival or the JSF for quite some time, however, these preparations would not be entirely clear for the amateur military enthusiast or for people who are not following the progression of the Egyptian Armed Forces.

I referred to the F-35 as the JSF for a reason, although a multirole aircraft it will be primarily used by the Israelis as a strike fighter. It will be used to attack command and control centers, vital infrastructure, and to suppress enemy air defence using its low observable nature to do so.

The job of countering the JSF has primarily fallen to the Air Defence command. Over the past 5 years the Air Defence command has introduced multiple new pass and active short range, medium range, and long range radar systems capable at operating at different wavelengths and using different bands. The idea is to negate the JSF's low observable nature by the introduction of capable radar systems able to detect the JSF at distances which are acceptable (although much shorter than those of 4th gen aircraft) and thus have the ability to send intercepting aircraft or use SAM systems (which have all had similar radar upgrades).
In the improvement in radar and processing capabilities (and its the processing capabilities that in reality are much more important) the EAD hopes to render 'stealth' useless, as the US Armed Forces has (although with much more vulnerabilities, however it is the same idea).

If you guys are interested in a more detailed and technical response let me know and I should be able to post a response in a day or two.

Good input. Expand on this please. Does this include any missile defense systems?

Good BM's are costly and even US and Russia has less than 100 good quality BM. You are imagining that a potent BM's cost is same as that of HAMAS firecracker and Egypt could mint 100's of them.
A single F-35 costs around $85 million a unit. To counter IDFAF and neutralize its threat the Egyptians would have to field F-35's or similar 5th generation aircraft in large numbers plus assortment of compatible weapons, including standoff munitions. Not only would they be spending billions to just procure the Aircraft but also billions more on maintenance and spare parts, ground crew/pilot training and protective bunkers/shelters for these aircraft to prevent sabotage or destruction from enemy surgical and precision missile strikes etc.

For that amount of money and investment they could field hundreds of Ballistic Missiles, Cruise Missiles, and a effective air defence network.

Even the latest and most advanced BM's could cost you significantly less than a single F-35 (or similar class aircraft) to procure or produce on your own.

Last edited:
One thing I always find funny about Arabs, they never went into battle with Russian weapons and won, yes the ones that fought with western weapons always won, yet they still hold the "Holy Russian weapon" mentality strong within them.

Arabs are funny people.
Read about the 1973 Arab-Israeli war from the Egyptian view, you will see that Russian equipments are as efficient as the men who serve them. They have humiliated Usrael with all the backing it had from its uncle Sam.

Actually I would much more prefer it if there was no motivation, because a motivation to fight is usually the sign of barbaric ideals anyways.
What do you do when you are facing barbaric ideals that threaten your existence? Prophet Mohammad SAWS tried that and most of his early followers were slaughtered, so he got word from God to fight.

Last edited:
Israel is due to receive at least a batch of 20 initial F35 fighters in the near future.

This will give them a real advantage in the air. How can Egypt adapt to this threat? Will the MiG35 cut it?

Give me your analysis of what Egypt should take into account in the future. What it should invest in as well.

@Frogman @Dino R. @Skorpian @Mahmoud_EGY

Should it invest more into missile defense systems?
israel f35 are not a threat to egypt if you catch my drift lol…
they are allies

I HATE the Mig-29 family so much, the biggest modern aircraft failure if you ask me
They were originaly designed to counter the US F-16s and F-15s, so they must be very potent and reliable fighters
The ones Egypt will get will most probably have AESA radars and BVR capabilities based on the Mig-35 if not the Mig-35 itself.
I would have liked to see some SU-35s too.

Read about the 1973 Arab-Israeli war from the Egyptian view, you will see that Russian equipments are as efficient as the men who serve them. They have humiliated Usrael with all the backing it had from its uncle Sam.

By the users of the weapons own omissions, the Russian weaponry used in 1973 and before was simply terrible, and they were outclassed by everything Israel had in its arsenal. The inferiority of the Mig-21 in comparison with the French Israeli jets was startling. This is one thing many people don't get about the 1973 conflict, the disparity in armament was huge, however, the Egyptian side was still able to make important tactical gains.

israel f35 are not a threat to egypt if you catch my drift lol…
they are allies

If there is a significant shift in a nations military capabilities all neighbouring nations would try to counteract that by improving their own abilities even if they are allies. This is a realist observation of how arms races tend to happen in regions or between nations. Although, I doubt you are a reader of Thomas Hobbes' work.

Here is the answer:
J-31
J-31+j21+Navalized+Next-Generation+Fighter+%28SAC%29+china+J-31+fifth+stealth+naval+carrier+aircraft+prototype+People%27s+Liberation+Army+Air+Force+weapons+aam+bvr+missile+ls+pgm+gps+plaaf+test+flightf-22+1+pl-12+1.jpg

i9GGs.jpg

And it is or export.
J-31-NoCredit.jpg

It is alsoo going to be ready in 2 to 3 years.
So next thread should be what Usrael can do to counter the Egyptian J-31, since they might have at least a 5 year gap before the induction of the F-35 in Usrali forces.

Its really the only cheap way of taking the war to the enemy and its demoralizing to the enemy its landing on because there is not much they can do to stop it, also the unpredictability of where the missile is going to land.

They might not be 'precise' (even though modern Ballistic Missiles are accurate enough) but lets not forget israel isn't that big of a target anyway. Russian Iskander missile is pretty accurate.
... and extremely dangerous; since there are no counter-measures against it, and it can carry N-warheads. It scares NATO itself!
Egypt should get some solid air defences (mobile) in the 3 layers of ranges.
Missiles and ballistic missiles in quality and quantity.

Last edited:
One thing I always find funny about Arabs, they never went into battle with Russian weapons and won, yes the ones that fought with western weapons always won, yet they still hold the "Holy Russian weapon" mentality strong within them.

Arabs are funny beoble.

Corrected for accuracy. :tup:

Here is the answer:
J-31
J-31+j21+Navalized+Next-Generation+Fighter+%28SAC%29+china+J-31+fifth+stealth+naval+carrier+aircraft+prototype+People%27s+Liberation+Army+Air+Force+weapons+aam+bvr+missile+ls+pgm+gps+plaaf+test+flightf-22+1+pl-12+1.jpg

i9GGs.jpg

And it is or export.
J-31-NoCredit.jpg

It is alsoo going to be ready in 2 to 3 years.
So next thread should be what Usrael can do to counter the Egyptian J-31, since they might have at least a 5 year gap before the induction of the F-35 in Usrali forces.

... and extremely dangerous; since there are no counter-measures against it, and it can carry N-warheads. It scares NATO itself!
Egypt should get some solid air defences (mobile) in the 3 layers of ranges.
Missiles and ballistic missiles in quality and quantity.

Remember though all of these missile defense systems would be needed in the Sinai desert. Which is flat desert.

Luftwaffe, Desert Fox

I do not want to drag the topic much my personal views are Egypt have learned the lesson it will never go to War against Israel/US interests. So it will all be peace between the two in the first place and cooperation will continue, it is all drama the suspension of 20 F-16s you will see they'll receive it from US.

Egypt's most equipment is US lil french and russian old SA-9 and local variants SAMs. Now we are discussing how can Egypt counter F-35i; I fail to understand what has ballistic missiles to do with it that are offensive land to land based missiles used to deliver payload as retaliation. To cut short no advance anti air guns can harm F-35s, point of F-35 is to hit without being detected or detected too late F-35 could use medium and long range cruise missiles and medium anti radiation missiles keeping away from harm way now lets discuss what medium and high altitude SAMs Egypt has or intend to procure in the near future and who is going to fund it in good Numbers...for foreseeable future Israel has upper hand in air combat, and counter attacks against Egypt against land based targets.

Israel is due to receive at least a batch of 20 initial F35 fighters in the near future.

This will give them a real advantage in the air. How can Egypt adapt to this threat? Will the MiG35 cut it?

Give me your analysis of what Egypt should take into account in the future. What it should invest in as well.

@Frogman @Dino R. @Skorpian @Mahmoud_EGY

Should it invest more into missile defense systems?

Arab military is as useless as Ethopian! GIve Egypt F-22s and they will lose it all on the first day of war because they like belly dancers :)
S-300 S-400 with anti stealth radars are the best solution.

Arab military is as useless as Ethopian! GIve Egypt F-22s and they will lose it all on the first day of war because they like belly dancers :)

What if Israel use highly precision munitions and Anti-Radiation missiles against such Targets.

just because your mother is a billy dancer that doesnt make every one is

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom