What's new

How Bollywood is Failing The Women of India-Forbes

. They only care about making money , rather than art or true entertainment.

Well of course they want to make money, like any other industry as well. They are not a charity organization.

If enough people are entertained by movies like Dhoom 3, the producers would be kinda stupid to stop making them right?

And to be honest, do you seriously believe that the majority of Indian movie goers want too see a sophisticated movie which over 90% of them would not even understand anyways?

This actually applies to all countries in the world.

Well of course they want to make money, like any other industry as well. They are not a charity organization.

If enough people are entertained by movies like Dhoom 3, the producers would be kinda stupid to stop making them right?

And to be honest, do you seriously believe that the majority of Indian movie goers want too see a sophisticated movie which over 90% of them would not even understand anyways?

This actually applies to all countries in the world.

Movies like 3 idiots , Lagaan, Munnabhai , Sholay , Kahaani, Queen , Dil Chahta Hai and decent love stories like Aashiqui 2 also make huge money in India. All of Indian audience is not dumb. People want to watch intelligent and fun cinema as well.

The problem is while these movies will make 50-100 crores, Bollywood people are so greedy that they would rather make a movie with a dumb script , big actors , BS item songs and take home 150-250 crores. Their lust for money is insatiable.

Please don't justify dumbing down of Indian audiences by Bollywood. More than enough sophisticated movies in the past have made good money and made legends out of actors.

Movies like 3 idiots , Lagaan, Munnabhai , Sholay , Kahaani, Queen , Dil Chahta Hai and decent love stories like Aashiqui 2 also make huge money in India. All of Indian audience is not dumb. People want to watch intelligent and fun cinema as well.

The problem is while these movies will make 50-100 crores, Bollywood people are so greedy that they would rather make a movie with a dumb script , big actors , BS item songs and take home 150-250 crores. Their lust for money is insatiable.

Please don't justify dumbing down of Indian audiences by Bollywood. More than enough sophisticated movies in the past have made good money and made legends out of actors.

That maybe true, but by looking at the box office table, it quickly becomes obvious that most of them are not of the sophisticated kind. And its probably easier to make more money with less sophisticated movies if you couple it with some good item songs, scandals and good PR.

Furthermore, I did not mean that the Indian audience is dumb, but they are not really an audience that prefer more complex storylines and acting.

te Sunny Leone for acting.And

for the psycho analysis there, never knew Rape is
Hindi movies were great in the 90s and early 2000s but then Movies started coming out like Raaz and stuff which derailed the whole image
hindi movies were good at 80s but not now ! hey you are the one to say my country people marry dogs ! why you care so much so India then ! For reason may like You hate my country or you are jealous of my country !

That maybe true, but by looking at the box office table, it quickly becomes obvious that most of them are not of the sophisticated kind. And its probably easier to make more money with less sophisticated movies if you couple it with some good item songs, scandals and good PR.

Furthermore, I did not mean that the Indian audience is dumb, but they are not really an audience that prefer more complex storylines and acting.

You are proving my own point. Bollywood is greedy and would rather make a shi* movie and make a profit of 100 crores than make a good movie and make a profit of 50 crores.

Also, completely disagree with your assessment of Indian movie audience , at least the middle class and upper class certainly likes to watch sophisticated story lines. I have already given the evidence of movies in my earlier post and add to that Ram Gopal Verma movies like Shiva, Sathya, Company, D Company which were also commercial successes, thus proving that people in India, at least the educated classes have a hunger for good cinema. Always have had.

Last edited:
Bollywood is a cottage industry. Blame definitely lies with Bollywood but more so with over gov't officials who cozy up to these assholes actors, directors, dancers and producers. The nexus is undenialable. Theissue is the media which makes it a point to incorporate so much bollywood crap on their websites and newspapers. There is no fair level playing field. Bollywood moguls cornered the media market and nothing of use ever comes out.

You are proving my own point. Bollywood is greedy would rather make a shi* movie and make a profit of 100 crores than make a good movie and make a profit of 50 crores.

I never contested that viewpoint. Again, the movie industry is like any other business: Its about profits. If they can make more money, they will do it.

Also, completely disagree with your assessment of Indian movie audience , at least the middle class and upper class certainly likes to watch sophisticated story lines. I have already given the evidence of movies in my earlier post and add to that Ram Gopal Verma movies like Shiva, Sathya, Company, D Company which were also commercial successes, thus proving that people in India, at least the educated classes have a hunger for good cinema. Always have had.
Sure, there are many who want good movies, but most people are still not too concerned about this matter.

How many of the movies in the top 10 box office list are actually movies with some deeper sense and story?
List of highest-grossing Bollywood films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thing is, if most people wanted sophisticated movies, the market for them would be much more lucrative and we would actually have more of them. But sadly thats not the case

I never contested that viewpoint. Again, the movie industry is like any other business: Its about profits. If they can make more money, they will do it.

That's my point movie industry should not be only about profits. It should be about profits+art & quality.

If everybody agreed with this view point that movie industry is only about profit , Hollywood would have never produced the likes of Spielberg, Tarantino, Nolan, Ridley Scott, Scorcese etc. and all the movies would have been about Godzilla or Super-Heroes or the End of the World.

Sure, there are many who want good movies, but most people are still not too concerned about this matter.

How many of the movies in the top 10 box office list are actually movies with some deeper sense and story?
List of highest-grossing Bollywood films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thing is, if most people wanted sophisticated movies, the market for them would be much more lucrative and we would actually have more of them. But sadly thats not the case

You just keep proving my point. All except 3 idiots in that list are crap and they have all come out in the last 5 years.

Also, go back to what I said- Most in Bollywood would rather make a crap movie and make a profit of 100 crores rather than make a good movie and make a profit of 50 crores. This is nothing but greed and no movie industry in any country should be motivated only by greed as stated earlier. Anyway, this argument is going around in circles. You enjoy stuff you like, I will keep waiting for those 5 or 6 good movies that Bollywood produces each year. In the meanwhile I will stick to Hollywood.

Last edited:
Sriously, Indian films had substance. Now most of them market sex more than you even see in Hollywood flicks. Not to say some good one dont pop up, but sex sells in India and this is not good for the cultural integrity.

Long run it will damage the society's fabric.

Bollywood is hugely popular in Pakistan too, in fact, Google search trends suggest even more so than in India. Being an Islamic society you should worry more about that. Also, I have seen the kind of stuff that 'sells' in Pakistan. It's there on Youtube and don't wish to post it here. Thanks for the concern for Indian social fabric but some of this concern is needed back home as well especially since yours is the 'land of the pure'.

Is scantly dressed women in bollywood the reason for increased violence against women? I don't think so! Lot of movies potray love marriages,still our society doesn't accept it! Now,even if it actually is a reason,its a very poor and pathetic excuse to make. IMO,a women should not be raped even if she's walking around naked.
that was disturbing bro,

Last edited:
Mother India, Sholay and many of the older movies promoted the rights of and respect for women. Most modern Bollywood movies project women as being nothing more than money hungry tramps who are sex objects open for the taking. Take that into account, then add the factor that plenty of stone age minded men around the world watch these movies and you are sure to have a recipe for disaster

Back
Top Bottom