What's new

Homosexuality, Apostasy, Blasphemy: What does Islam say ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x_man

Reaction score
Personal opinions aside please, can anybody tell me what are the punishments for the following sins in Islam?

Homosexuality

Apostasy, and

Blasphemy (God and Prophets)

The question was arisen here in UK, where one of my fellow non-Muslim colleagues asked me about these. Many people say ' Death', but I want to know what does Islam have to say about these. Is it really death or we are just following our own self-made rules of justice that has nothing to do with Islam? :undecided:

As far as I know, heard or read the punishments are as followed:
Homosexuality-Death by stoning.
Apostasy-Death
Blasphemy-This is a tricky one. But I think its death.
Now note all of sins or punishment above come with restrictions. Like they say their is a time and a place for everything, this saying applies here.

As far as I know, heard or read the punishments are as followed:
Homosexuality-Death by stoning.
Apostasy-Death
Blasphemy-This is a tricky one. But I think its death.
Now note all of sins or punishment above come with restrictions. Like they say their is a time and a place for everything, this saying applies here.

Isn’t it a bit too much for a very TOLERANT religion????? You are right that conditions do apply but if the end condition is Death in each case then where is the Tolerance gone? One cannot follow his/her sexual preferences and one cannot change his faith, so basically we have to stick around of whatever thing we were born with or else DIE . :guns:

I have read about stoning gays and Zaanis but don’t recall reading in Quran or any Hadeeth, stating that punishment for Blasphemy or Apostasy is also death. During his life, lots of people tried to ridicule Prophet (PBUH) but he never told anyone to kill the perpetrators neither any other Sahabi did so....rather...he prayed for them in return. So where are we getting the ideas to kill blasphemies and Apostils. It would be better if we leave it to Allah to decide rather than taking things in our own hands. :coffee:

Islamic views on homosexuality are as varied as those of most other major religions and have changed throughout history. Traditionally, Qur'anic verses and hadith have been seen as condemning sexual acts between members of the same sex. The Qur'an cites the story of "people of Lot" (also known as the Sodomites) who were destroyed because they engaged in homosexual acts. The legal punishment for sodomy has varied among juristic schools: some prescribe capital punishment; while other prescribe a milder discretionary punishment. Homosexuality is a crime and forbidden in most Islamic countries, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. In some relatively secular or multi-religious Islamic countries, this is not the case, Algeria, Malaysia, Indonesia and Turkey being examples. Despite this, homoerotic themes were present in Muslim poetry and other literature which celebrated male love, and were more common than expressions of attraction to women.

Some liberal Muslims, such as the members of the Al-Fatiha Foundation, accept and consider homosexuality as natural, either regarding these verses as obsolete in the context of modern society, or pointing out that the Qu'ran speaks out against homosexual lust, and is silent on homosexual love. Writer Irshad Manji, a lesbian, has expressed the view that homosexuality is permissible within Islam; however, this remains a minority viewpoint. Within Shi'a Islam, thinkers such as Ayatollah Khomeini have argued for the legality of sex-change operations if a man is homosexual, and feels effeminate.

Islamic law

Homosexuality is traditionally deemed forbidden by Islamic law. The Qur'an, the central text of Islam believed by Muslims to be the revelation of God,[2] is explicit in its condemnation of homosexuality.[3][4] The Qur'an proclaims Islam as the "religion of nature," and sanctifies and encourages sexual intercourse within marriages. Specific verses include:

And Lut, when he said to his tribe: "Do you commit an obscenity not perpetrated before you by anyone in all the worlds? You come with lust to men instead of women. You are indeed a depraved tribe." The only answer of his tribe was to say: "Expel them from your city! They are people who keep themselves pure!" So We rescued him and his family—except for his wife. She was one of those who stayed behind. We rained down a rain upon them. See the final fate of the evildoers! ” — Qur'an, 7:80–84

The people of Lout (Lot) (those who dwelt in the towns of Sodom in Jordan) belied the Messengers. When their brother Lout (Lot) said to them: "Will you not fear Allah and obey Him? "Verily! I am a trustworthy Messenger to you. "So fear Allah, keep your duty to Him, and obey me. "No reward do I ask of you for it (my Message of Islamic Monotheism), my reward is only from the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). "Do you go in unto the males of the 'Alamin (mankind), and leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your wives? Nay, you are a trespassing people!" They said: "If you cease not. O Lout (Lot)! Verily, you will be one of those who are driven out!" He said: "I am, indeed, of those who disapprove with severe anger and fury your (this evil) action (of sodomy). "My Lord! Save me and my family from what they do." So We saved him and his family, all, Except an old woman (his wife) among those who remained behind. Then afterward We destroyed the others. And We rained on them a rain (of torment). And how evil was the rain of those who had been warned. Verily, in this is indeed a sign, yet most of them are not believers. And verily! Your Lord, He is indeed the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful. ” — Qur'an 26:159–175

The hadith, which are statements ascribed to the Islamic prophet Muhammad, also contain numerous statements about homosexuality. According to one report, Muhammad said that "Doomed by God is who does what Lot's people did." Another report reads: "No man should look at the private parts of another man, and no woman should look at the private parts of another woman, and no two men sleep [in bed] under one cover." One narrative, attributed as part of Muhammad's farewell speech, says that "Whoever has intercourse with a woman and penetrates her rectum, or with a man, or with a boy, will appear on the Last Day stinking worse than a corpse; people will find him unbearable until he enters hell fire, and God will cancel all his good deeds."[5] Many scholars of Shari'a, or Islamic law interpret homosexuality as a punishable offence as well as a sin. There is no specific punishment prescribed, however, and this is usually left to the discretion of the local authorities

Pederasty

The practice of pederasty in the Middle East seems to have begun, according to surviving records, sometime during the 800s and ended, at least as an open practice, in the mid-19th century. Throughout this era, pederastic relationships, poetry, art and spirituality were found throughout cultures from Moorish Spain to Northern India. The forms of this pederasty ranged from the chaste and spiritual adoration of youths at one extreme, to the violent and forcible use of unwilling boys at other. Sodomy was considered a major sin in Islam. The seeming co-relation of pederasty with the rise of Islam has been commented on by modern historians, who see a link between the love of boys and the protective attitude of Islam towards women, leading to their removal from public life, together with the tendency of Sharia law to accommodate within the domain of "private behavior" inevitable activities, as long as they do not interfere with public order.[7][verification needed] The topos of "ishq" – passion – which could have as object a beautiful beardless boy as easily as a woman, is prominent in literature.[citation needed]

The manifestations of pederastic attraction vary. At one extreme they are indeed of a chaste nature, incorporated into Islamic mysticism (see Sufism) as a meditation known in Arabic as Nazar ill'al-murd, "contemplation of the beardless," or Shahed-bazi, "witness play" in Persian. This is seen as an act of worship intended to help one ascend to the absolute beauty that is God through the relative beauty that is a boy. Modern Sufi thought asserts that this contemplation uses imaginal yoga to transmute erotic desire into spiritual consciousness.[citation needed] However, in a tradition from the Arabian nights, Muhammad was said to have warned his followers against staring at youth because of their beauty: "Do not gaze at beardless youth, for they have eyes more tempting than the huris." [8]

[edit] Legal status in modern Islamic nations

Homosexuality is a crime and forbidden in most Islamic countries, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. In some relatively secular or multi-religious Islamic countries, this is not the case, Albania, Indonesia and Turkey being examples. However, the governments of Albania, Indonesia, and Turkey are presidential representative democratic republics and are not Islamic Republics, like in the case of Iran.

Same-sex intercourse officially carries the death penalty in several Muslim nations: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Mauritania, northern Nigeria, Sudan, and Yemen. [9] [10] It formerly carried the death penalty in Afghanistan under the Taliban. The legal situation in the United Arab Emirates is unclear. In many Muslim nations, such as Bahrain, Qatar, Algeria and the Maldives, homosexuality is punished with jail time, fines, or corporal punishment. In some Muslim-majority nations, such as Turkey, Jordan, Indonesia or Mali, same-sex intercourse is not specifically forbidden by law. In Egypt, openly gay men have been prosecuted under general public morality laws. (See Cairo 52.) On the other hand, homosexuality, while not legal, is tolerated to some extent in Lebanon, which has a significantly large Christian minority, and has been legal in Turkey for decades.

In Saudi Arabia, the maximum punishment for homosexuality is public execution, but the government will use other punishments—e.g., fines, jail time, and whipping—as alternatives, unless it feels that homosexuals are challenging state authority by engaging in LGBT social movements.[11] Iran is perhaps the nation to execute the largest number of its citizens for homosexuality. Since the 1979 Islamic revolution in Iran, the Iranian government has executed more than 4,000 people charged with homosexual acts[12]. In Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, homosexuality went from a capital crime to one that it punished with fines and prison sentence.

Most international human rights organizations, such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, condemn laws that make homosexual relations between consenting adults a crime. Since 1994, the United Nations Human Rights Committee has also ruled that such laws violated the right to privacy guaranteed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. However, most Muslim nations (except for Turkey, which has been ruled by secular law since 1923 and recently has modernized its laws in order to meet the requirements of entry to the European Union) insist that such laws are necessary to preserve Islamic morality and virtue. Of the nations with a majority of Muslim inhabitants, only Lebanon has an internal effort to legalize homosexuality.

LGBT movements within Islam

Some liberal Muslims, such as the members of the Al-Fatiha Foundation, accept and consider homosexuality as natural, either regarding these verses as obsolete in the context of modern society, or pointing out that the Qu'ran speaks out against homosexual lust, and is silent on homosexual love. However, this position remains highly controversial even amongst liberal movements within Islam, and is considered beyond the pale by mainstream Islam.[14] The Imaan is a social support group for Muslim LGBT people and their families in the UK. [13]

There are also a number of Islamic ex-gay groups. The StraightWay Foundation is a UK based ex-gay organization which works with homosexual Muslims to eliminate their same-sex attractions and convert them to heterosexuality.[15] Al-Tawbah is an internet based ex-gay group[16], and The Straight Struggle is an ex-gay blog for Muslims.

In addition to the aforementioned groups, Muslim writers like Irshad Manji express the view that homosexuality is permissible within Islam; however, this remains a minority viewpoint. Within Shi'a Islam, thinkers such as Ayatollah Khomeini have argued for the legality of sex-change operations if a man is homosexual, and feels effeminate. [17] Khomeini's original fatwa has since been reconfirmed by the current Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and is also supported by many other Iranian clerics.[18]The law remains in force in Iran, where the state will pay a portion of the cost for a sex-change operation. However, many Muslims in Iran did not and still do not view Khomeini's words or actions positively. Many, in fact, despised him and his rule.

See also: Transsexuality in Iran

Homosexuality and Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My persona opinion is that it is very much there in all societies and it is best that each bother about oneself and not take the mantle of being a Pollyanna.

There are greater problems like poverty and inequality to be first addressed than who is eloping and sleeping with whom!

Masturbation is also a sin!

I wonder how many have hung up their penis to dry!!

There are greater problems like poverty and inequality to be first addressed than who is eloping and sleeping with whom!

On the dot. But the problem is that many people do make issues out of others private lives and decide by themselves that what punishment they are liable for. I wouldn’t care if my neighbour drinks, sleeps with a man or a woman or what faith he/she follows ...till the time he is not bothering me with his habits or trying to impose his/her ideas on me......I give a damn...

As far as Homosexuality, Apostasy and Blasphemy are concerned, we should leave it to Allah to decide and shouldn’t take things in our hands

BTW , I never knew that masturbation was a sin . According to Woody Allen: Don't knock masturbation out, it's sex with someone I love.

On the dot. But the problem is that many people do make issues out of others private lives and decide by themselves that what punishment they are liable for. I wouldn’t care if my neighbour drinks, sleeps with a man or a woman or what faith he/she follows ...till the time he is not bothering me with his habits or trying to impose his/her ideas on me......I give a damn...

As far as Homosexuality, Apostasy and Blasphemy are concerned, we should leave it to Allah to decide and shouldn’t take things in our hands

BTW , I never knew that masturbation was a sin . According to Woody Allen: Don't knock masturbation out, it's sex with someone I love.
Islam is not a religion in the common, distorted meaning of the word, confining its scope only to the private life of man. It caters for all the fields of human existence. In fact, Islam provides guidance for all walks of life – individual and social, material and moral, economic and political, legal and cultural, national and international.

The Qur’an enjoins Man to enter the fold of Islam without any reservation and to follow God’s guidance in all fields of life. As a matter of fact, it was an unfortunate day when the scope of religion was confined to the private life of man, while its social and cultural role was reduced to naught. No other factor has, perhaps, been more important in causing the decline of religion in the modern age than its retreat into the realm of the private life.

In the words of a modern philosopher:

“Religion asks us to separate things of God from those of Caesar. Such a judicial separation between the two means the degrading of both the secular and the sacred… That religion is worth little, if the conscience of its followers is not disturbed when war clouds are hanging over us all and industrial conflicts are threatening social peace. Religion has weakened Man’s social conscience and moral sensitivity, by separating the things of God from those of Caesar.”

As for Islam, it totally denounces this concept of religion and clearly states that its objectives are purification of the soul and the reform and reconstruction of the society.

The Qur’an says in Surah 57, verse 25:

*{We verily sent Our messengers with clear proofs and revealed with them the scripture and the balance [i.e. the authority to establish justice], that mankind may observe justice and the right measure…}*

Then in Surah 12, verse 40:
*{The command is for none but Allah; He has commanded that you obey none but Him; that is the right path.}*

Also, in Surah 22, verse 41:
*{[Muslims are] those who if We give them power in the land, establish [the system of] salat (prayers and worship) and zakat (poor due) and enjoin virtue and forbid vice and evil.}*

The Prophet (pbuh) said:

“Everyone of you is a keeper or a guardian and will be questioned about the well-being of the people of the State. Every man is a guardian to his family and will be answerable about every member of it. Every woman is a guardian to the family of her husband and will be accountable for every member of it. And every servant is a guardian to his master and will be questioned about the property of his master.”

Thus, even a cursory study of the teachings of Islam shows that it is an all-embracing way of life and does not leave out any field of human existence to become a playground for satanic forces.

What ever Allah and His Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon), have prescribed for us is the right way, either we like it or not. Though I find it a strange phenomenon that non Muslims have started preaching Muslims what Islam is. Strange.

Is there any gay, lesbian, or homosexuality in the animal world? No.

So I do not know why, being the most intelligent being, human prefer to go against nature!

Dont you think they are perverts considering the law of nature.?

Such threads are not allowed anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom