What's new

Himalayas: Water towers of Asia

Regardless if we can harm India with Brahmaputra or not, we just want India to get one message very clear -> Tibet water resource belong to China. They can cry a river, noone care.

I am sure Bangladesh, Myammar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam will agree with that :D

WhereFreeTibetOrgplateaumap_lg1.jpg

We badly need that water and we certainly don't want to offend India.so the best hope is those projects won't affect India at all. and 4 yellow rivers will definitely transform Xinjiang's desert into lush grasslands.

I hope your calculation is right.

China does things to benefit its own country which is the right thing to do. Why would we care how indians feel? In fact, if they were in China's position, they will definitely use the rivers as a ransom piece to blackmail all the countries that it affects.

Study more and google is a good way to start with.lol..

don't bother with that monkey Lux guy. He's just a Malay monkey, anti Chinese troll

China does things to benefit its own country which is the right thing to do. Why would we care how indians feel? In fact, if they were in China's position, they will definitely use the rivers as a ransom piece to blackmail all the countries that it affects.

don't bother with that monkey Lux guy. He's just a Malay monkey, anti Chinese troll

You can do better than insult, dont you? Or because you are desperate of not having confident to win an intellectual exchange. Should not think highly of PRC as they are really worse than Indians.

Look at the stuff you guys wrote minus away vulgarities.

From your article

Of the 2,880km of the Brahmaputra’s length, 1,625km is in Tibet, 918km in India, and 337km in Bangladesh. According to India’s ministry of water resources, of the total catchment area of 580,000 sq. km, 50% lies in Tibet, 34% in India, and thh balance in Bangladesh and Bhutan. The average annual rainfall is 400mm in Tibet, and 3,000mm on the Indian side.

India side has more than enough rainfall for all irrigation. You should be worrying about flooding. It would be better for India to focus on flood control and better if China diverted all water.

This is the reason for relative small drainage in India, Brahmaputra get most of her water.
Even though rainfall in Tibet is 400mm, the catchment area is 50%. It is not small. It does contribute 40% of the water flowing into Assam.
Altering the course of a river will have ecological consequences.

Even though rainfall in Tibet is 400mm, the catchment area is 50%. It is not small. It does contribute 40% of the water flowing into Assam.
Altering the course of a river will have ecological consequences.

It seems that now both Indian and Chinese hand in hand in unision disagreeing with me. You have a point and there are ecological damage of diversion -- if they divert 100%. PRC wont do it all the way even if they divert the water.

How about 30%? I think Assam can take it.

Nevertheless right now I feel much better talking to Indians than PRC.

From what I have read, PRC government are not going to divert Brahmaputra in any meaningful way, not too sure about the future. Building dam, yes, water diversion no.

I do not see any sense in it.

Last edited:
It seems that now both Indian and Chinese hand in hand in unision disagreeing with me.
Not only Chinese and Indians. maybe you are the only person in the whole universe that thinks Tibet doesn't hold the water key and anything done in Tibet won't affect whatever around it.

Both Indians and Chinese leadership play down the Tibet hydro issue while ignorant and stupid blogger flame it up. The only person here in PDF taking position close to PRC CPC is me, unfortunately. The arrogant Chinese and provocative Indians in forums and chat room only give trouble -- especially PRC here.

We should learn to play down and see things logically.

Gogoi thanks PM for taking up dam issue with Chinese premier | Business Standard

Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi has thanked Prime MinisterManmohan Singh for taking up the matter of construction of dams by China on the Brahmaputra river with his Chinese counterpart Li Keqiang during the latter's recent visit to New Delhi.

Gogoi said he had voiced his serious concerns over water flows of trans-border rivers, especially in view of construction of three additional dams approved by China on the Brahmaputra river during his recent meetings with the Singh in New Delhi. Gogoi said he was happy that the prime minister had taken up the matter in right earnest with his counterpart and also with the Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of Durban BRICS summit in March this year.

During his meetings with his Chinese premier in national capital, Singh had raised the issue of India's concern over the construction of dams in Tiber region and that the dams would affect water flow to India. However, China maintained that the three dam projects at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu in Tibet region were just run-off-the-river project that would not hold water. India is also concerned with the construction of dam projects like Zangmu , Lengda, Zhongda and Langzhen.

"Prime minister's bold stance on the dam issue would allay the apprehensions from the minds of the people of the state in particular and the North-East region as a whole," said Gogoi.

Not only Chinese and Indians. maybe you are the only person in the whole universe that thinks Tibet doesn't hold the water key and anything done in Tibet won't affect whatever around it.

Tibetan glacier is important no doubt. But look at the discharge numbers from drainage, and I would suggest that we take a less aggressive stance other than flaming against Indians arrogantly.

Craft our sentence carefully instead of jingoism.

Last edited:
Why Tibet? Third pole source of regional water - Michael Van Walt

capture-png.15139

India by herself is a monsoon rainfall land. Look at lush India compare to desert Tibet of China side.

If PRC want to thirst Indians, they would have better chance in praying to God hoping that their prayers got answered.

And surprisingly India is indeed thirsty not in the Assam region, but in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. The Brahmaputra basin-- too much rainfall.

I hope India can build a canal like China does into the drought prone region.

Madhya Pradesh on the verge of drought, 23 districts get below average rains | Latest News & Updates at DNAIndia.com

2013 drought in Maharashtra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drought in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nevertheless, the drought may not affect India in the short term now as bastard rice and good seeds has sent Indian's crop output such as rice to record levels. Also Indians are always consuming less than others.

India's rice revolution | Global development | The Observer

Why Tibet? Third pole source of regional water - Michael Van Walt

Tibet water is indeed important. I am not saying otherwise.

The photo is more about vegetation, the poles are also devoid of vegetation but it doesn't mean that they don't hold fresh waters.you don't have to get agitated,one thing is for sure,China will divert rivers in Tibet if she is not diverting them already.

It seems that now both Indian and Chinese hand in hand in unision disagreeing with me. You have a point and there are ecological damage of diversion -- if they divert 100%. PRC wont do it all the way even if they divert the water.

How about 30%? I think Assam can take it.

Nevertheless right now I feel much better talking to Indians than PRC.

From what I have read, PRC government are not going to divert Brahmaputra in any meaningful way, not too sure about the future. Building dam, yes, water diversion no.

I do not see any sense in it.
I agree. Dam should be fine as long as a decent water flow is maintained.

The photo is more about vegetation, the poles are also devoid of vegetation but it doesn't mean that they don't hold fresh waters.you don't have to get agitated,one thing is for sure,China will divert rivers in Tibet if she is not diverting them already.

The good place in Tibet is somewhere close to Sichuan. Other than that it gets greener once you get close to India border. The places in Southern Tibet within China that are greener are Medog, Yadong and Zayu.

world-rainfall-map.png

Look at Assam. They have a lot of rainfall and himalaya at Indian/nepal side is bless with a lot of rainfall. This has to do with what we call Windward and leeward side of mountain where Tibet in China side is a rain shadow. I am not saying Tibet water is unimportant.

But look at Yangtze, Ganges and Brahmaputra drainage basin on the map, I cannot help but conclude that most water come from rain in the catchment basin rather than glacier.

I agree. Dam should be fine as long as a decent water flow is maintained.

China and India should work together.

How much is the average rainfall in Arctic and Antarctica? As we all know that those two poles hold the most fresh water in the world.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom